Welcome to Gaia! ::

How should we handle reproductive decisions?

Women should be responsible for their own reproductive choices, but get full control over them 0.76785714285714 76.8% [ 43 ]
Everyone should be responsible for children, but women's bodies become a public issue and no longer a private one 0.035714285714286 3.6% [ 2 ]
Women should be the ruling class by making all of the decisions while everyone else has to handle the consequences of those decisions 0.19642857142857 19.6% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 56 ]
< 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12 >

Roih Uvet
Meanwhile, single motherhood, which is noted for its detrimental effects on children and on society at large, is actively subsidized.

Why should we be tolerating this s**t?
Because we don't shame people anymore for having sex and children outside of a stable marriage.

Thank you libs.

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
If you can't afford a baby, you need to get an abortion.
rolleyes

My entire adult life, I've paid taxes to this single mother industrial complex.
Congratulations, would you an award using the potty correctly as well?

In other words, Shut your trap, be more skeptical about what you say. It's not a black and white situation(not referring to race, nimwit) there are individuals who fall in between the needs line.

Aka, poor college aged students who have VERY LITTLE SUPPORT FROM THE PARENTS.

Please be kind and stop posting like an imbecile

Newbie Noob

Miragen
Not even going to read any of the posts in this thread, but if you are a feminist, I hate you and you need to go figure out what's important in this life you selfish c**t.
My husband, our respective families, and the continued wellbeing of the aforementioned?

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
color me confused.
So a person stand up and says "if you want that child be responsible for it" , Makes note that tax payers shouldnt fund a womans choice to do with her body as she sees fit..and its...a bad thing?
Feminist scream it is -their- right to do with their body as they see fit. Right?
And they are right about that. They are. Their body, their issue.
So do not make others responsible for YOUR choices.
If you cant be bothered with birthcontrol(this is not including cases of rape, abuse etc) then do not expect other people(that have no say otherwise in how you take care of your body) to fund your choices for -your- body.
THAT is not some crime.
That is logic. If you kick and scream you want that freedom to do what ever you wish, why should people pay for it if you cant?
Freedom to do what you want....means you are free to do what you want -if you can afford too and take responsibility for it-.
It does NOT mean you can do it...and expect others to take care of it, foot the bill and do what you are not able to do(take care of the situation)

There are cases I do not think this applies too. Rape, abuse, genuine cases of BC failure etc.
But if you want the fun...take the responsibility for that fun and what may come from it.

Newbie Noob

Also...

My mother didn't become a single mom til I was ten years old. Abortion was beyond irrelevant to her need for support at that point.
Kaworu 17
Roih Uvet
Meanwhile, single motherhood, which is noted for its detrimental effects on children and on society at large, is actively subsidized.

Because we don't shame people anymore for having sex and children outside of a stable marriage.

Thank you libs.

You're catholic. You're against one of his solutions in the first place. Hel, you're even against mine.

Hell, you condemn sex that doesn't result in a child anyway!
He does have a good point, he's just presented it in a really abrasive manner. I mean ok, no, no one should be told to abort - or forced to. But it should be available, and maybe even suggested for people who can't afford to raise the kid once it comes out. I mean think of it this way - what's worse: a) killing it while it's still a mindless peanut that's technically a parasite, or b) giving birth to it, not looking after it and not feeding or clothing, and giving the live human a child an all round shitty upbringing.

I do agree with abortion whole heartedly, however, rather than forcing it on people, perhaps consider forcing birth control on people who clearly can't raise a child properly.
I 100% support abortion funding by the government. In many situations, abortion is the best option for mothers who simply do not have the means to take care of themselves let alone a small child. However, I'm pro-choice and I'd never want to live in a society that mandates abortions against individual will.

The problem is the stigma attached to abortion, especially amongst uneducated, low income families. That can only be changed through generations of reinforcing the idea that abortion is by no means "morally" wrong.

The key is convincing people that abortion is acceptable, moral, and responsible.

Magical Girl

Kaworu 17
Roih Uvet

Thank you libs.
You know what saddens me? You think two people being married and never divorcing constitutes a stable marriage.

Do you know what it's like to be raised in a broken home? Tell me how that stuff is stable. Tell me how a child is better off with a rapist for a parent than only having one in the household.

Your idea of a "stable marriage" is a fantasy. It'd be nice, sure, but it's extremely difficult. Frankly, if the only people who had kids were the ones best capable of taking care of them, the species would have gone extinct long ago.

Garbage

Single referring to marital status, not relationship status. You can be in a stable, long-term, devoted relationship while legally single. Hell, the article even states that the majority of children are still being born into two-parent households.

Quote:
Not all of those mothers were single: Many were living with partners. Among high school graduates, depicted in the chart below, for instance, 28 percent of children were born to cohabiting couples. Combine that with the 41 percent of children born to married couples, then most babies were born into two-parent households.

I also love what OP implies about pregnant widows/divorcees.

"Well, your husband's gone, so your baby's gotta go too!"

Quotable Prophet

The problem here, aside from the horrible way you worded your post, is that not all circumstances are the same or should be judged as such. Part of the reason for the demand for a choice in the first place is that each situation is unique to the individuals involved and thus they need to be able to make the decisions on a personal level rather than have the decisions made for them. There's a difference between the mother who aborts a child due to medical issues as opposed to the one who aborts a child because of financial issues just as there's a difference between the family that needs government assistance because they fell on hard times as opposed to the one that had always been there. That's not to say any of the scenarios or people are "bad", just that each situation is different and needs to be acknowledged.

And no, it doesn't feel fair for you to have to pay in part for those services you don't agree with anymore than it is fair for me to have to pay taxes that go into funding religions I don't agree with. It still happens, and it's not to say that we should make a blanket end-all be-all about the situation.

That's the whole point of pro-choice in the first place, for people to make the decision themselves based on their own circumstances, beliefs, and ability so they can make the choice that is best for them at the time.
SuperOtaku
Better idea -- Why don't we pay people, I don't know, a wage per hour where they don't need to rely upon WIC and so on? You know... like the great civilized country America plays at being.
Even better idea -- actually reading the OP because this is explicitly addressed and supported.
Roih Uvet
Exceptions should be made for exceptionally intelligent parents (130 IQ or higher)

Intelligence isn't hereditary.
Roih Uvet
CuAnnan
Roih Uvet
Literally the moment I am held even partially accountable for someone else's choices or their consequences, even indirectly as in through taxes, compulsory insurance premiums, etc., is the moment that I have every right to meddle in their affairs.

So if your diet isn't up to scratch, if your car uses too much petrol or the treads are too aggressive for the road, or too worn, if you smoke, drink or eat fatty foods, if you ever have unprotected sex, or so on; I get to tell you what to do?
You already do in many of those examples. For example, we impose a gasoline tax and alcohol/tobacco sin taxes. I'm pretty sure that which kinds of treads you can use are already regulated as well. The FDA has effectively banned trans fats nationally. You can successfully sue someone in civil court for giving you HIV.

All of these things have the very real possibility of leading to actual consequences for the person, in the form of having to pay more to compensate for their negative externalities. Meanwhile, single motherhood, which is noted for its detrimental effects on children and on society at large, is actively subsidized.

Explain.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

how about we get rid of all that s**t and just have basic income and wage cap rolleyes
Roih Uvet
Lucky~9~Lives
Roih Uvet
Lucky~9~Lives
Roih Uvet
Or taxes that finance their kids, I imagine? Public school (extracted indirectly through my rent), WIC, food stamps, etc. Are you saying I shouldn't finance them at all since I didn't make the choice? Are you sure?

Not because you didn't make the choice - because you don't want to.
The consequences of a generation of unfinanced children is dramatic.

Assuming everyone thinks as you do, and does not want to support children; no more than routine forced abortions.
Given that single motherhood is the norm now, uh, yeah, most people actually don't want to support children. When given the choice between nipping a problem in the bud and passing the buck on to future generations, or hell, even our own generation, you choose to pass the buck.

That's cowardly, outright. It's time to solve the problem.

that doesn't mean they are single. nor does that mean no one wants to support/raise those children.

and why don't you advocate that these deadbeat dads be required to get vasectomies? oh wait. it's because you're a sexist piece of s**t who might just be literally retarded.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff