Welcome to Gaia! ::

do u believe wut i said in my post is true?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 9, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

JeuneFille

You do know it isn't our fault that we aren't paid as much as men are, right? That there is PROOF that we are paid 25% less than you are, simply because we are female.

Feminism is about men and women having equal rights. This is not annoying. Extremists are. Let's figure out the right definitions for things before we start calling them annoying, hmm?

I've always attributed the gap in paw to be due maternal leave, or something.

And extremists aren't annoying. More often than not, they're right.
AznAlex
well all this developed from when most schools are made for guys... and women has the domestic role, so they do not go and "run". They do not go and "drink". So its said that people that cannot drink are like "girls". There is nothing wrong with laughign a bit high, drinking below the average male, running a bit slowly, but according to society you are less manly.... which makes you girly. (i hope that made sense). Anyways, there are lots of sterotypes, but hey, "you run like a girl" is used more like a cleche now, then actually meaning "you run like a girl."

I agree, This kind of bias is a direct result of the barrier between men and women before the women's movement. It is so ingrained into the culture that I doubt people even think about the significance any more. Believe it or not, it's important to bring this kind of thing up. Girls don't want special treatment, we just want to be treated as equals. The sooner phrases like "you run like a girl" are rubbed out of our language the closer women will be to achieving equality.

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jed the Angsty Ghost
JeuneFille

You do know it isn't our fault that we aren't paid as much as men are, right? That there is PROOF that we are paid 25% less than you are, simply because we are female.

Feminism is about men and women having equal rights. This is not annoying. Extremists are. Let's figure out the right definitions for things before we start calling them annoying, hmm?

I've always attributed the gap in paw to be due maternal leave, or something.

And extremists aren't annoying. More often than not, they're right.

What kind of sense does that make? "You are propagating the human race. Therefore, we're not going to pay you as much, especially since you have a baby." What?

And fine, they don't annoy you. It doesn't make them right.
wraith inamorata
*shifty eyes* Can anyone get me a translator?

*points to his post on the first page*
JeuneFille

What kind of sense does that make? "You are propagating the human race. Therefore, we're not going to pay you as much, especially since you have a baby." What?

I thought you still get paid for maternity leave. One of my teachers did.

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jed the Angsty Ghost
JeuneFille

Then what exactly is your logic for it being okay for women to be paid 25% less, even with maternity leave? I don't quite follow you.
JeuneFille
Jed the Angsty Ghost
JeuneFille

Then what exactly is your logic for it being okay for women to be paid 25% less, even with maternity leave? I don't quite follow you.

I'm working from what my teacher got, so bear with me.

She got 2 years of maternity leave. That's with pay. So, she was, essentially, being paid by the schoolboard to... look after her child? She wasn't doing what she was being paid for, but still being paid for it.
being a guy, i think no lesser of myself that their are girls around me that could kick my a**...hard

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jed the Angsty Ghost
JeuneFille
Jed the Angsty Ghost
JeuneFille

I'm working from what my teacher got, so bear with me.

She got 2 years of maternity leave. That's with pay. So, she was, essentially, being paid by the schoolboard to... look after her child? She wasn't doing what she was being paid for, but still being paid for it.

Wow. I've never heard of someone getting two YEARS of maternity leave. From what I understand, the average is about 2-6 months.
Ok after about three seconds I stopped reading that first post but I would like to point out if you believe in chivalry towards women you are anti-women's equal rights.... that's it
JeuneFille

Wow. I've never heard of someone getting two YEARS of maternity leave. From what I understand, the average is about 2-6 months.

My history teacher also spoke of some people who got up to six. But that's hearsay, so I can't really say for certain. His wife, I think, got three.

But maternity leave changes from employer to employer, so I'm assuming the conditions differed.

Also, for a comparison, there is paternity leave, but it's a lot stricter: less than a year, no pay and whether or not you keep your job is anyone's guess.

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jed the Angsty Ghost
JeuneFille

My history teacher also spoke of some people who got up to six. But that's hearsay, so I can't really say for certain. His wife, I think, got three.

But maternity leave changes from employer to employer, so I'm assuming the conditions differed.

Also, for a comparison, there is paternity leave, but it's a lot stricter: less than a year, no pay and whether or not you keep your job is anyone's guess.

Fair enough.

So you're saying women deserve that 25% difference in pay since they are paid to raise a baby for a few months? I can kind of see that (I don't agree, but I see what you're saying). What about the women who never have children? Why do they deserve to be paid less?
JeuneFille

Fair enough.

So you're saying women deserve that 25% difference in pay since they are paid to raise a baby for a few months? I can kind of see that (I don't agree, but I see what you're saying). What about the women who never have children? Why do they deserve to be paid less?

I'm guessing the guys in charge assume that, since most women who are employed at, say schools and such, will have children while employed there. As it is, most of the time it's pretty correct.
Well I didnt really get it but ok
Do you people realize that 12/15 posts on the first page insulted her grammar when, considering this is the internet, her post was at least decently readable?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff