Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Silvia Crow
The Living Force

So just for clarification, are you against the way Derpy is portrayed, or the character herself?

'Cause at least to me, you're coming off as sort of "anti-fun". Like the kind of person that would throw an ACLU shitfit over this joke: "What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs laying in front of your front door? Mat." 'cause it could be deemed "offensive" to those with no arms or legs.

I was skeptical of the character, since the most popular portrayal was stereotypical, and negatively so. The portrayal, on a kid's show no less, was damning.

It is offensive. That's not being anti-fun. If your only idea of fun is antilocution, then you need to take a long hard look at your sense of humor.

Horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?: offensive to people with long facial features.

Two men walk into a bar. The third one ducks.: Offensive to blind people (It's a stretch, but what isn't?)

Any joke dealing with religion, race, ethnicity, a disability or handicap of ANY sort.

That leaves us with....what?

Why did the Chicken Cross the Road and knock-knock jokes?

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Question: Why are people offended over Derpy Hooves, yet they never got upset over similar characters from other shows? Like:

Goofy from various Disney works
Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants
Ed from Ed, Edd, n' Eddy
Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

... Seriously. Why are people mad over Derpy when there are other shows with much worse characters?

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Not to start a flamewar or anything, but aren't all the ponies offensive special needs ponies?
We have the Twillight-fan offensive special needs pony, we have the rainbow-f** offensive special needs pony, we have the country-hick special needs pony, and so on.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
5-Volt
as a new mlp fan who joined the herd from that very episode, my initial impression of derpy and rainbow dash were a couple tomboy pegasi with 1 of them a total klutz. how come derpy gets all the flames and yet similar characters from other shows who happen 2 b male get a free pass? confused

THIIIIIIS. I know pulling the sexism card here is a stretch, but is it because it's a girl's show and people expect it to be more "sensitive"?
Silvia Crow
The Living Force
Silvia Crow
The Living Force

So just for clarification, are you against the way Derpy is portrayed, or the character herself?

'Cause at least to me, you're coming off as sort of "anti-fun". Like the kind of person that would throw an ACLU shitfit over this joke: "What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs laying in front of your front door? Mat." 'cause it could be deemed "offensive" to those with no arms or legs.

I was skeptical of the character, since the most popular portrayal was stereotypical, and negatively so. The portrayal, on a kid's show no less, was damning.

It is offensive. That's not being anti-fun. If your only idea of fun is antilocution, then you need to take a long hard look at your sense of humor.

Horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?: offensive to people with long facial features.

Two men walk into a bar. The third one ducks.: Offensive to blind people (It's a stretch, but what isn't?)

Any joke dealing with religion, race, ethnicity, a disability or handicap of ANY sort.

If your only idea of humor is antilocution, then I feel rather sorry for you. Whenever someone says something like this, I can't help but imagine they're the kind of people who found the Cosby Show dull, which should be impossible.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Silvia Crow
The Living Force
Silvia Crow
The Living Force

If your only idea of humor is antilocution, then I feel rather sorry for you. Whenever someone says something like this, I can't help but imagine they're the kind of people who found the Cosby Show dull, which should be impossible.

Then please, share with me a joke that is equal parts non-offensive and actually funny.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Silvia Crow

Then please, share with me a joke that is equal parts non-offensive and actually funny.

I have some pretty good abortion jokes, if you wanna hear them.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
marshmallowcreampie
Silvia Crow

Sure, why not =P

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Silvia Crow
marshmallowcreampie
Silvia Crow

Sure, why not =P

What do you call coffee that uses milk from a cow that had an abortion?
De-CALF-inated! emotion_awesome
The Living Force

That's not the point that was being made. The point was that much about humour implicates certain demographics due to much humour being directed at the world around us. If we are not allowed to comment upon our observed surroundings then we risk not describing our social world through humour at all.
The Living Force
Matt Pniewski
The Fans decided her name was Derpy.

The fans decided she's stupid.

Now, there's outrage? This is what you guys ASKED FOR.

Besides, nobody gives a s**t about Snips?

I never asked for that. Tyranny of the majority.

He and Snails are the Two Stooges. His portrayal is much, much different.

No it's not. Not only is snips stupid, he's not even treated with the respect from his peers that Derpy is. In that episode, I saw Rainbow Dash being very patient and understanding with somebody who normally she'd lose her patience with.

Snips's portrayal isn't just stupid, it's slow, with an even more stereotypical mentally challenged voice over than Derpy had. But apparently it's okay to be a stooge, but not a member of the community like Derpy is.

Hell, I welcome a mentally challenged character. What, are we supposed to tell kids that they don't exist? Or are we going to say "Yes they do, and treat them with respect, like Rainbow Dash did."
marshmallowcreampie
5-Volt
as a new mlp fan who joined the herd from that very episode, my initial impression of derpy and rainbow dash were a couple tomboy pegasi with 1 of them a total klutz. how come derpy gets all the flames and yet similar characters from other shows who happen 2 b male get a free pass? confused

THIIIIIIS. I know pulling the sexism card here is a stretch, but is it because it's a girl's show and people expect it to be more "sensitive"?

That's more than a stretch.

It also presumes that people who take issue with Derpy Hooves do not take issue with characters in other cartoons (if they've watched them at all).
Blind Guardian the 2nd
The Living Force

That's not the point that was being made. The point was that much about humour implicates certain demographics due to much humour being directed at the world around us. If we are not allowed to comment upon our observed surroundings then we risk not describing our social world through humour at all.

So it was a non-sequitur response to my comment about antilocution then.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
The Living Force

That's more than a stretch.

It also presumes that people who take issue with Derpy Hooves do not take issue with characters in other cartoons (if they've watched them at all).

But I've never seen a single person claim that Billy from "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" was a mockery of the mentally ill. And Billy is a much worse example, so why target Derpy? If you want to take a stand against cartoon characters you feel make fun of the mentally ill, why not target the bigger, more prominent examples?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff