Welcome to Gaia! ::

OMG you horrible people who like MLP. what the hell is the matter with you showing retarded people acting within the community and no one caring? Certainly you should do what the more enlightened people in this thread want to do and that is to make everyone feel ashamed of their existence and stick them in the basement where no one can see them. We all know they did not want to be born different so since they cannot be the same we should pretend they do not exist. end sarcasm.

Maybe if some people did not freak out every time a different person came around and had to make an issue out of their differences we might be in a better place.
TANRailgun
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force
I think I've argued this a substantial bit, but I'll reiterate. You portray a character in fitting with popular negative stereotypes about a frequently marginalized group of people and you are in the wrong. Intent does not even matter, because the result is kids watch this, see these kinds of things as humorous, and we've done a bang-up job of educating another generation that people who are differently abled than normal people are objects worthy of laughter, not human beings.

I don't think My Little Pony is going to make children antagonize people with mental handicaps.

Besides, even if Derpy WAS intended to be a mentally handicapped character, she seems to have a huge and loving fan base.

Make them? No. Reinforce existing societal norms which permit mockery and marginalization of a group of people? Yes.

Which changes absolutely nothing.
And when it turns out the voice acting sounding like a mentally challenged person was unintentional, does that still make it offensive? Are they still reinforcing the mockery and marginalization of a group of people?

Yes. Especially since there are no accidents on TV, except in live performances.

4,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force
I think I've argued this a substantial bit, but I'll reiterate. You portray a character in fitting with popular negative stereotypes about a frequently marginalized group of people and you are in the wrong. Intent does not even matter, because the result is kids watch this, see these kinds of things as humorous, and we've done a bang-up job of educating another generation that people who are differently abled than normal people are objects worthy of laughter, not human beings.

I don't think My Little Pony is going to make children antagonize people with mental handicaps.

Besides, even if Derpy WAS intended to be a mentally handicapped character, she seems to have a huge and loving fan base.

Make them? No. Reinforce existing societal norms which permit mockery and marginalization of a group of people? Yes.

Just read this blog post...

I feel like a bit of jerk.

Ugh, did not know the context of the Derpy Hooves storyline.

I wish they would've went with the "The diligent mail pony" character interpretation.

Fanatical Zealot

The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

And when it turns out the voice acting sounding like a mentally challenged person was unintentional, does that still make it offensive? Are they still reinforcing the mockery and marginalization of a group of people?

Yes. Especially since there are no accidents on TV, except in live performances.

Maybe they didn't think it "sounded" like a retarded person...?
Suicidesoldier#1
The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

I've heard that line used a lot in many different arenas. I'm not buying it.

Fanatical Zealot

Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

Just read this blog post...

I feel like a bit of jerk.

Ugh, did not know the context of the Derpy Hooves storyline.

I wish they would've went with the "The diligent mail pony" character interpretation.

Familiar Smoker

The Living Force
TANRailgun
Silvia Crow
Yeah yeah, I'm really late on this, but it beats digging a 100x40x100 hole in Minecraft.

So yeah, an episode back in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation team recognized the fan character "Derpy Hooves" as canon, even giving her a speaking role. Here's the scene.

Needless to say, there was a pretty big outcry from the...."special needs" community, or at least those that champion for them. They claimed that Derpy Hooves is offensive to differently abled people despite the fan interpretations of the character (Often as the Mail Pony for the town and as a loving, caring mother of Dinky Hooves).

Here's the MLP Wiki page on her.
Here's the fan wiki which covers the initial characterization of the character.

So yeah, is Derpy Hooves offensive to the special needs/differently abled community? And if so, why? Or why not?

Personally, I think this chalks right up there in terms of ridiculousness as people assuming Rainbow Dash is a lesbian simply because of her rainbow colored mane and tomboy attitude.

Edit: And before things get wildly off track, please note that this is NOT a thread about MLP, but rather about if a character from the show/fandom is offensive, or if people are making a big to-do about nothing.

We actually had a big debate about this in the guild, but it turns out that the voice actress thought that Derpy Hooves was a boy, so she tried to imitate what her neighbor's kid sounds like (and he's not mentally challenged) and since THAT was the number one reason people were pissed, it becomes much less of an issue.

Except for the fact that despite what the means were, the ends are still unacceptable. Think of it like serendipity, but bad. It doesn't matter what they wanted to do, because all the refutations in the world will do nothing to change the fact that such a portrayal is harmful to a frequently marginalized group of people, deliberately or not.
But should they then still be demonized the way you have been doing? Or should people like you just learn to accept when someone makes a mistake, and apologizes for misunderstandings, and move on to more important things than a mistake in a kids TV show? stare

If I say something that someone construes as racist, even if I never meant for it to be taken that way, that does not make me a racist. It makes the statement still offensive to those that took offence, but any reasonable person would drop the issue once they realized that it was just a mistake, and that offence or insensitivity was not intended in anyway.

Fanatical Zealot

The Living Force
Suicidesoldier#1
The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force

Well I think it's kind of offensive that all retarded people must "sound" a certain way. ._.

I get where you are coming from, like how I understand where everyone is coming from, but retarded people technically don't sound a certain way so I think it's fine.

It may be an up and coming voice actress they wanted to give a job to.

Idk though.

Familiar Smoker

The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

Bull s**t and you know it. If they really thought it was offensive, do you HONESTLY think it would have gotten past the Hub's censors?
tererun the horrifying
OMG you horrible people who like MLP. what the hell is the matter with you showing retarded people acting within the community and no one caring? Certainly you should do what the more enlightened people in this thread want to do and that is to make everyone feel ashamed of their existence and stick them in the basement where no one can see them. We all know they did not want to be born different so since they cannot be the same we should pretend they do not exist. end sarcasm.

Maybe if some people did not freak out every time a different person came around and had to make an issue out of their differences we might be in a better place.

I'm pretty sure we'd prefer more positive representations, not something to be made fun of, like how that new sitcom Work It trivializes and makes a big joke out of transgenderism.
TANRailgun
The Living Force
TANRailgun
Silvia Crow
Yeah yeah, I'm really late on this, but it beats digging a 100x40x100 hole in Minecraft.

So yeah, an episode back in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation team recognized the fan character "Derpy Hooves" as canon, even giving her a speaking role. Here's the scene.

Needless to say, there was a pretty big outcry from the...."special needs" community, or at least those that champion for them. They claimed that Derpy Hooves is offensive to differently abled people despite the fan interpretations of the character (Often as the Mail Pony for the town and as a loving, caring mother of Dinky Hooves).

So yeah, is Derpy Hooves offensive to the special needs/differently abled community? And if so, why? Or why not?

Personally, I think this chalks right up there in terms of ridiculousness as people assuming Rainbow Dash is a lesbian simply because of her rainbow colored mane and tomboy attitude.

Edit: And before things get wildly off track, please note that this is NOT a thread about MLP, but rather about if a character from the show/fandom is offensive, or if people are making a big to-do about nothing.

We actually had a big debate about this in the guild, but it turns out that the voice actress thought that Derpy Hooves was a boy, so she tried to imitate what her neighbor's kid sounds like (and he's not mentally challenged) and since THAT was the number one reason people were pissed, it becomes much less of an issue.

Except for the fact that despite what the means were, the ends are still unacceptable. Think of it like serendipity, but bad. It doesn't matter what they wanted to do, because all the refutations in the world will do nothing to change the fact that such a portrayal is harmful to a frequently marginalized group of people, deliberately or not.
But should they then still be demonized the way you have been doing? Or should people like you just learn to accept when someone makes a mistake, and apologizes for misunderstandings, and move on to more important things than a mistake in a kids TV show? stare

If I say something that someone construes as racist, even if I never meant for it to be taken that way, that does not make me a racist. It makes the statement still offensive to those that took offence, but any reasonable person would drop the issue once they realized that it was just a mistake, and that offence or insensitivity was not intended in anyway.

Did they apologize? I don't remember that.

But it does make you insensitive if you refuse to see their side of it and remain adamant that what you did was alright. You screwed up, you don't get to tell people when they can or can't be offended, and when you do, it comes of as extremely privileged and insulting.
Suicidesoldier#1
The Living Force
Suicidesoldier#1
The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force

Well I think it's kind of offensive that all retarded people must "sound" a certain way. ._.

I get where you are coming from, like how I understand where everyone is coming from, but retarded people technically don't sound a certain way so I think it's fine.

It may be an up and coming voice actress they wanted to give a job to.

Idk though.

It resembled a string of common negative stereotypes.

Tabitha St. Germain voices Rarity, so no.

Familiar Smoker

The Living Force
Suicidesoldier#1
The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force

We have reasons to believe that as a logical assumption, as if it had, then it would have never gotten by all the producers and censors involved. What you got to back your argument that it WAS intentional?
TANRailgun
The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

Bull s**t and you know it. If they really thought it was offensive, do you HONESTLY think it would have gotten past the Hub's censors?

Which is not to say they did it on purpose, but rather that they were either oblivious to it or didn't think it was a problem. Either way, there was problem, it didn't get fixed, and it aired.

Familiar Smoker

The Living Force
TANRailgun
The Living Force
TANRailgun
Silvia Crow

Did they apologize? I don't remember that.

But it does make you insensitive if you refuse to see their side of it and remain adamant that what you did was alright. You screwed up, you don't get to tell people when they can or can't be offended, and when you do, it comes of as extremely privileged and insulting.
The voice actress did. I never said a damn thing about whether or not someone CAN be offended, people CAN be offended by whatever the ******** they want. I'm explaining why I don't find it offensive, and why people just need to drop it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff