Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Yeah yeah, I'm really late on this, but it beats digging a 100x40x100 hole in Minecraft.

So yeah, an episode back in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation team recognized the fan character "Derpy Hooves" as canon, even giving her a speaking role. Here's the scene.

Needless to say, there was a pretty big outcry from the...."special needs" community, or at least those that champion for them. They claimed that Derpy Hooves is offensive to differently abled people despite the fan interpretations of the character (Often as the Mail Pony for the town and as a loving, caring mother of Dinky Hooves).

Here's the MLP Wiki page on her.
Here's the fan wiki which covers the initial characterization of the character.

So yeah, is Derpy Hooves offensive to the special needs/differently abled community? And if so, why? Or why not?

Personally, I think this chalks right up there in terms of ridiculousness as people assuming Rainbow Dash is a lesbian simply because of her rainbow colored mane and tomboy attitude.

Edit: And before things get wildly off track, please note that this is NOT a thread about MLP, but rather about if a character from the show/fandom is offensive, or if people are making a big to-do about nothing.

Edit 2: Update, Hasbro changed the clip. Took out Derpy's name and redid both Dash and Derpy's voices.

Enjoy. I suppose...

And BaldDumboRat's response to the outrage (Which I suppose is fitting as she's the best damn fan VA for Derpy)

From what I saw, she just seemed clumsy.

Note: I defer to those with more knowledge on this topic since I am not a brony. Bronie. Bronies? Obviously.

4,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
"Derp" and any derivations of it do not relate to people with mental handicaps.

It's meant to imply stupidity in a non-handicapped person.

Though it is kinda weird how Derpy sounds like a stereotypical deaf person for some reason.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Rose die Valkyrie
"Derp" and any derivations of it do not relate to people with mental handicaps.

It's meant to imply stupidity in a non-handicapped person.

Though it is kinda weird how Derpy sounds like a stereotypical deaf person for some reason.

Well apparently the VA (Tabitha St Germain) thought Derpy was a boy. At least according to her....either Twitter or Tumblr.

Edit: Link

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
She doesn't seem mentally handicapped to me. I think her voice sounds like a young person with a redneck-y accent, not "retarded".
I think I've argued this a substantial bit, but I'll reiterate. You portray a character in fitting with popular negative stereotypes about a frequently marginalized group of people and you are in the wrong. Intent does not even matter, because the result is kids watch this, see these kinds of things as humorous, and we've done a bang-up job of educating another generation that people who are differently abled than normal people are objects worthy of laughter, not human beings.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
I don't see much a problem. And even if children did pull from it that "retards be funny ta' laugh at and ain't people 'cause a crosseyed pony was clumsy", it ain't th' shows job ta' hardwire what children depict when watchin' these shows. Ye can watch anythin' and find somethin' "offensive" in it, some easia' than otha's. Aye it may be offensive, and many be worse. But sometimes if'n these thin's do happen and children do pull up such opinions, mayhaps th' parents should do somethin' ta' help their child besides yellin' at th' people who make th' show. What are we gonna do? Be like th' "good ole days" and ban episodes o' shows fer ridiculous reasons?

4,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
The Living Force
I think I've argued this a substantial bit, but I'll reiterate. You portray a character in fitting with popular negative stereotypes about a frequently marginalized group of people and you are in the wrong. Intent does not even matter, because the result is kids watch this, see these kinds of things as humorous, and we've done a bang-up job of educating another generation that people who are differently abled than normal people are objects worthy of laughter, not human beings.

I don't think My Little Pony is going to make children antagonize people with mental handicaps.

Besides, even if Derpy WAS intended to be a mentally handicapped character, she seems to have a huge and loving fan base.
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

I don't think My Little Pony is going to make children antagonize people with mental handicaps.

Besides, even if Derpy WAS intended to be a mentally handicapped character, she seems to have a huge and loving fan base.

Make them? No. Reinforce existing societal norms which permit mockery and marginalization of a group of people? Yes.

Which changes absolutely nothing.

Fanatical Zealot

The Living Force

So, pinkie pie is evil...?! crying

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Familiar Smoker

Silvia Crow
Yeah yeah, I'm really late on this, but it beats digging a 100x40x100 hole in Minecraft.

So yeah, an episode back in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation team recognized the fan character "Derpy Hooves" as canon, even giving her a speaking role. Here's the scene.

Needless to say, there was a pretty big outcry from the...."special needs" community, or at least those that champion for them. They claimed that Derpy Hooves is offensive to differently abled people despite the fan interpretations of the character (Often as the Mail Pony for the town and as a loving, caring mother of Dinky Hooves).

So yeah, is Derpy Hooves offensive to the special needs/differently abled community? And if so, why? Or why not?

Personally, I think this chalks right up there in terms of ridiculousness as people assuming Rainbow Dash is a lesbian simply because of her rainbow colored mane and tomboy attitude.

Edit: And before things get wildly off track, please note that this is NOT a thread about MLP, but rather about if a character from the show/fandom is offensive, or if people are making a big to-do about nothing.

We actually had a big debate about this in the guild, but it turns out that the voice actress thought that Derpy Hooves was a boy, so she tried to imitate what her neighbor's kid sounds like (and he's not mentally challenged) and since THAT was the number one reason people were pissed, it becomes much less of an issue.

Fanatical Zealot

I say get a different voice actor; I think we'll see a different one in these up coming episodes, given all the hate towards it and the easiness of replacing a small part like that. razz

Tara strong will probs do it in an emergency re-do. xd

Familiar Smoker

The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

Make them? No. Reinforce existing societal norms which permit mockery and marginalization of a group of people? Yes.

And when it turns out the voice acting sounding like a mentally challenged person was unintentional, does that still make it offensive? Are they still reinforcing the mockery and marginalization of a group of people?
TANRailgun
Silvia Crow

We actually had a big debate about this in the guild, but it turns out that the voice actress thought that Derpy Hooves was a boy, so she tried to imitate what her neighbor's kid sounds like (and he's not mentally challenged) and since THAT was the number one reason people were pissed, it becomes much less of an issue.

Except for the fact that despite what the means were, the ends are still unacceptable. Think of it like serendipity, but bad. It doesn't matter what they wanted to do, because all the refutations in the world will do nothing to change the fact that such a portrayal is harmful to a frequently marginalized group of people, deliberately or not.

Fanatical Zealot

TANRailgun
The Living Force
Rose die Valkyrie
The Living Force

And when it turns out the voice acting sounding like a mentally challenged person was unintentional, does that still make it offensive? Are they still reinforcing the mockery and marginalization of a group of people?

My question is, how does someone sound retarded?

Kay I mean I get the concept of it and all but, but can you really?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff