Welcome to Gaia! ::

my friend and i use the same serive from the same provider with the same cable modem. My computer is newer and faster than his. but the thing is that the thing that takes him 6 minutes to download takes me 6 hours. what's up with that? For reference i use Cox.
FYI i have:
Intel P4 2.8E
512 RAM
Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem

My friend has:
AMD Athlon 2200
256 RAM
Motorola Surfbaord Cable Modem

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Don't bump in C&T please.

The difference could be lots of things. Maybe the cable line going into your house sucks, or maybe your location. If your cable line has to travel a long distance you can suffer packet loss. You should call your cable co and have them look at your line.
Are you hardwried in? Are you behind a router? There are lots of things that could explain why.

Oh and yes, please do not bump in the C&T forum sweatdrop
Call the cable company and have them run a diagnostic on both your line and your modem.
one thing that i have found that lags broadbands. is check your firewall. usually if you set your firewall to high priority or whatever it'll lag loading webpages and whatnot. so i have set mine to medium or even low. and it loads fine now.
thank you any more suggestions?
Alpha Force

You will not find line loss, packet loss, or line lag on cable internet 98% of the time. What is your IP address? I will run a line test for you. Probably your receive (MTU) window on your internet is set low. Please tell me what version of Windows you are using, what browser, and your IP? I will send you a patch to correct your slow internet.

Joshua Long
FATHERGUITO1983 on AIM
jmdl1983
Alpha Force

You will not find line loss, packet loss, or line lag on cable internet 98% of the time. What is your IP address? I will run a line test for you. Probably your receive (MTU) window on your internet is set low. Please tell me what version of Windows you are using, what browser, and your IP? I will send you a patch to correct your slow internet.

Joshua Long
FATHERGUITO1983 on AIM

like i'll trust a stranger like you.

Aged Lunatic

Do you have your system wireless?
no i don't

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers