Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sorry for the terrible title... I wanted to get my point across of what I'd like this forum to be in the title.

Prophet

Liberal Zealot

You'll probably have better luck with this in LI, really. That said, speaking as an out atheist, what do you hope to gain? If what you get from coming out doesn't equal what you stand to lose... don't, at least not until you're out from under your parents' roof.
I'll second seeking out advice from the LI. You might also want to include more information if you want a good response. heart
Why is this here?

This belongs in the LIfestyle discussion. Unless you are seeking answers for educational purposes, we tend not to care as much.

Liberal Sex Symbol

LI regular here so I'll save you the trouble:

Don't. gonk

The amount of fallout could very likely be catastrophic. Wait until you've moved out and become financially independent so in the case you are disowned for telling him the truth you will not be totally screwed.

Eloquent Streaker

If he genuinely loves you, it won't matter if you don't share his personal beliefs. But if he disowns you for it, he's a horrible ******** father, and you don't need him in your life.

Shy Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Member 100
Do you need to tell him?

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
Oh for ******** sake. All this bad advice to not say something.

Just do it. Like ripping off a band aid. Don't hold back, don't back down. Just outright come out and say it. It will save you a lot more trouble to just be honest, and it may save you more brainwashing at the hands of the church.
Do not reveal you are an X what your parents hate X.
It is not a clever idea, from experience.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Here's my advice: don't come out as athiest to highly religiously theistic family until you are legally adult and do not rely on their income and living situation.
Trollzors Vader

Just do it. Like ripping off a band aid. Don't hold back, don't back down. Just outright come out and say it. It will save you a lot more trouble to just be honest, and it may save you more brainwashing at the hands of the church.
So says someone who has obviously not dealt with the realistic probability of being made homeless for the crime of being honest.

To put it bluntly, by the standard that a parent who "really loves" their kids would accept them for who they are, many religious parents don't really love their kids. That his father is a pastor does not bode well for him being the sort that does. Honesty is a good policy when you can deal with the flak (in this case, when you are financially independant), not before.
IronySandwich
Trollzors Vader

So says someone who has obviously not dealt with the realistic probability of being made homeless for the crime of being honest.

To put it bluntly, by the standard that a parent who "really loves" their kids would accept them for who they are, many religious parents don't really love their kids. That his father is a pastor does not bode well for him being the sort that does. Honesty is a good policy when you can deal with the flak (in this case, when you are financially independant), not before.

Anything is better than being with someone who brings you down. Death is better than having those people in your life.
The rose in spring
IronySandwich
Trollzors Vader

Anything is better than being with someone who brings you down. Death is better than having those people in your life.
If you think your life is worth so little, that's your prerogative. I'm working from the assumption that the OP is willing to wait a little while to break the news in order to keep a roof over his head.

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Requiem in Mortis
If he genuinely loves you, it won't matter if you don't share his personal beliefs. But if he disowns you for it, he's a horrible ******** father, and you don't need him in your life.
This is what I was gonna say, but he said it before me.

It's hard living with discrimination, I know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff