Welcome to Gaia! ::

Don't until you can support yourself and stuff. Else he may disown you then what? Standing up for yourself won't feed you (sadly). When it comes to religion people will even kill their own blood.

Quotable Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
IronySandwich
Trollzors Vader
Oh for ******** sake. All this bad advice to not say something.

Just do it. Like ripping off a band aid. Don't hold back, don't back down. Just outright come out and say it. It will save you a lot more trouble to just be honest, and it may save you more brainwashing at the hands of the church.
So says someone who has obviously not dealt with the realistic probability of being made homeless for the crime of being honest.

To put it bluntly, by the standard that a parent who "really loves" their kids would accept them for who they are, many religious parents don't really love their kids. That his father is a pastor does not bode well for him being the sort that does. Honesty is a good policy when you can deal with the flak (in this case, when you are financially independant), not before.
Actually you have me completely wrong. I went through that, as my parents were a Mormon, and a bible banging nut job of a mother. All of my extended family was extremely religious as well.

I chose freedom over an easy life, and was willing to deal with the consequences. I'd rather live on the street than waste my life in a church. I was perfectly fine.

I learned how to work for everything I want, and hold a full time job at night while finishing high school, and proceeding to do the same in college, a college education I paid for myself between scholarships, and my own money. I came back to tell y family that I didn't need their help in the first place, and remove them from my life insurance benefits.

Invisible Giver

Jazin Kay
Requiem in Mortis
If he genuinely loves you, it won't matter if you don't share his personal beliefs. But if he disowns you for it, he's a horrible ******** father, and you don't need him in your life.
This is what I was gonna say, but he said it before me.

It's hard living with discrimination, I know.

Agreed, as a Pastor he should also be forgiving and hopefully attempt to understand your views. My sister is Agnostic and we're daughters of a Pastor.
IronySandwich
The rose in spring
IronySandwich
Trollzors Vader
Oh for ******** sake. All this bad advice to not say something.

Just do it. Like ripping off a band aid. Don't hold back, don't back down. Just outright come out and say it. It will save you a lot more trouble to just be honest, and it may save you more brainwashing at the hands of the church.
So says someone who has obviously not dealt with the realistic probability of being made homeless for the crime of being honest.

To put it bluntly, by the standard that a parent who "really loves" their kids would accept them for who they are, many religious parents don't really love their kids. That his father is a pastor does not bode well for him being the sort that does. Honesty is a good policy when you can deal with the flak (in this case, when you are financially independant), not before.

Anything is better than being with someone who brings you down. Death is better than having those people in your life.
If you think your life is worth so little, that's your prerogative. I'm working from the assumption that the OP is willing to wait a little while to break the news in order to keep a roof over his head.

A lifetime of homelessness is better than living one more second under the roof of someone who disproves of who you are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff