• Team Carl 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Teefie
KittieCupcakes
Teefie
KittieCupcakes
Teefie

I disagree. I don't think Gaia will come into any problems because of their homage/parody items, because of Fair Use. What's not technically Fair Use is what Tekton was doing. i personally feel like gaia should have attempted to buy out Tektek, at least that part of the website, or even his avatar site too. I think it is in within gaia's legal grounds to send him a C&D and it's awesome they hadn't for years, but really, it's a huge grey area and up to the company whether or not they allow stuff like that to happen. but i feel confident that Gaia wont get sued over their items, nor should they.
No way should Gaia ever, ever, ever buy out recolor.
People went to that site to get away from the garbage dump that is gaiaonline.

I said tektek, not recolour. razz
^^^Text in red.

Awwwww s**t. well, that was more of an afterthought so I had forgotten I added it in. My bad. i couldn't give any ******** about shitty recolor anyway, it sucks and is ugly. LOL But i do think it would have been a better move for both of them if tekton had at least talked to Gaia and they were given a chance/considering to buy tektek! It'd be such a good move for them and then tekton wouldn't have to pretend to keep it up anymore.
Gaia could have easily offered to buy TekTek as well. It works both ways.
But I do agree that Tekton should drop TekTek entirely. What he was doing was a free service for Gaia, and they shat all over that after promoting it for so many years. I wish so badly that he would shut down TekTek and focus entirely on Recolor. Gaia isn't even worth his effort anymore, obviously.
And I strongly disagree with your opinion on Recolor, but that's not what this is about.

Barton Cleric

20,375 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Medalist 100
KittieCupcakes
Calelith
KittieCupcakes
Teefie

I disagree. I don't think Gaia will come into any problems because of their homage/parody items, because of Fair Use. What's not technically Fair Use is what Tekton was doing. i personally feel like gaia should have attempted to buy out Tektek, at least that part of the website, or even his avatar site too. I think it is in within gaia's legal grounds to send him a C&D and it's awesome they hadn't for years, but really, it's a huge grey area and up to the company whether or not they allow stuff like that to happen. but i feel confident that Gaia wont get sued over their items, nor should they.

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

How is Recolor.me any better then Gaia?

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."
For one there is a total lack of BUY BUY BUY WHY AREN'T YOU BUYING YET GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY NOW.
You actually have to work for your currency (which, I know, some people are opposed to).
The games on it are pretty fun.
The community is better and cleaner (well, until this latest influx of GCDers and CBers, it was).
The avatars are better - they both look better and you don't have to buy every single colour of one item since you control the colours, hues, transparency, etc. There is more of an ability to be creative.
Users have a say in future items, and they can also submit items quite easily.
The avatar contest system is a lot of fun and really easy, and doubles as a dream avatar maker.

And that's all just for starters. Recolor hasn't even hit a year old yet.

That’s because recolor.me is still in it’s infancy. When it’s gets as big as Gaia and needs to support itself, how do you think recolor.me will support itself? I’m leaning towards a cash shop. Plus, who knows what management recolor will have in the future.

There are people here for work their gold too, no need to be catty.

I like the community here too, all depends on which forum you go to.

That's subjective. There's users that like Gaia's avatars better and there's users like yourself that like recolor's avatars better. Neither is really better.

I've seen a lot of user's ideas get turn into items on here - not all make it, but some do.

I haven't used recolor's so I can't comment on that. But, a lot of people, including myself, enjoy Gaia's avatar contest.

cutethulhuuu's Sidekick

Interstellar Trash

KittieCupcakes
Teefie
KittieCupcakes
Teefie
KittieCupcakes
Teefie

I said tektek, not recolour. razz
^^^Text in red.

Awwwww s**t. well, that was more of an afterthought so I had forgotten I added it in. My bad. i couldn't give any ******** about shitty recolor anyway, it sucks and is ugly. LOL But i do think it would have been a better move for both of them if tekton had at least talked to Gaia and they were given a chance/considering to buy tektek! It'd be such a good move for them and then tekton wouldn't have to pretend to keep it up anymore.
Gaia could have easily offered to buy TekTek as well. It works both ways.
But I do agree that Tekton should drop TekTek entirely. What he was doing was a free service for Gaia, and they shat all over that after promoting it for so many years. I wish so badly that he would shut down TekTek and focus entirely on Recolor. Gaia isn't even worth his effort anymore, obviously.
And I strongly disagree with your opinion on Recolor, but that's not what this is about.

They could have if they had been able to discuss with Tekton, he chose not to discuss anything. sad Gaia's in the right to open discussion with him, but you can't have a conversation with someone who wont respond to you.
I don't think Gaia was acting out maliciously to harm the users, I think they're protecting themselves legally. It's pretty obvious they wanted to keep this under wraps obviously to come up with a solution behind the scenes, but that obviously didn't happen.

He hasn't spent on time on Tektek in a LONG time, save to add his ads, so I can probably say he's spending all his time on his site anyway. He hasn't been putting in any effort at all as of the past year or so, probably longer since I think it was about now tektek started getting behind and crashing and it seems directly correlated to how tekton felt about Gaia at the time (so much as to open his own site/advertise it, etc.). I'm not saying that what he used to do in the past wasn't appreciated, but ever since he opened up and was advertised recolor on a Gaia tool, i knew it was going to spark a lot of problems and was going to fray the relationship between Gaia and the tektek website. It's just a shame that it had to come about this way.

hopefully there will be some alternatives on the way and we can have a bright and happy future!

and that's cool. smile you're right, it's not what it's about.
Fartbag McGee
For those who don't know, recolorme is likely to be in much more legal trouble than gaia. Recolorme has no age verification on their site and allows people to post 18+ content in a site for 13+. This means a person can make a thread asking for n***s or posting explicit content, and the only thing stopping people from seeing it is two buttons "Are you over eighteen and willing to see adult content? Y/N".

Not really. Reddit does the same thing (you can even see NSFW content without logging in, just clicking Yes that you are over 1 cool .

I actually like this method because it's burdensome to log into something and verify age.

Anyway Gaia could definitely get sued for the things they do with taking advantage of the IP of other sources, but chances are that the money is so small that it's not worth pursuing, unless Gaia uses the IP of a very small 'company'/source where a hundred to maybe a thousand dollars is worth going after. Or unless Gaia starts using the IP of a company well-known for going after even small cases of copyright infringement (e.g. Disney).

Indulgent Partner

Calelith
Blackrose_The_Knight

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Regardless of how you feel about Gaia's staff that does not change that Tekton sat on the C&D for two weeks before decided to begin to shut down his site and make public something that should've been left behind the scenes.

The letter specifically states it was sent overnight to him and he was also emailed the same day. If you want proof of this, it's right here.

I edited it to remove Tekton's personal information.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."
And there is the difference between me and you Cale. I assume best case scenario, and fair intent unless given a reason not to. And once trust is lost pfft, good luck getting it back - thus my disdain, and frankly disgust for Gaia upper management. They blew it with me. It would take a unicorn express shipped to my address to gain my trust back. I just assume Gaia management are filthy lairs with only corporate gain on their minds an nothing more. They have more than demonstrated that to me at any rate.

I am aware the letter was overnight as so was the email. But then I see reasonable reasons why Tekton was/is sitting on it. Also for releasing it.

Game this scenario out if you will. Tekton shut down the site similar to what he did, note phrased as it is now - without the letters posted. How wild do you think the theories here on Gaia would be? How off the charts would SF be without actual proof other than Tekton's shutdown note. I think it would be a 10x the shitstorm it already is. I appreciate the release of the letters - it helped tamp down irrationality, to some extent.

To be fair, Tekton could be acting poorly, for poor reasons. I just haven't seen a reason to hit the abort button on trust and fair intent with him. And I guess that just goes back to the difference between you and I.

Edit: An interesting idea that isn't mine. This was the easy way for Tekton to shut down the site. Its had been having issues for a while now, and not keeping up with the items Gaia is bumping out. This allows him to drop Tektek and focus on his own project. Albiet making Gaia look like the bad guys (Kinda skeevy too - this places my finger on the abort button)

Amorous Exhibitionist

19,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
lol, not sure I intended for this to blow up, but okay smile

Regular

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
it still violated gaia's rights whats bad is bad
now get over it,,,,,,,

Sadly Sadistic's Princess

Conservative Gaian

19,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200
I'm going on a wild guess that you are a common citizen, with a normal high school diploma, no college education what-so-ever, and have no idea what fair use is or parody is.

Amorous Exhibitionist

19,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Miss Pancake1
I'm going on a wild guess that you are a common citizen, with a normal high school diploma, no college education what-so-ever, and have no idea what fair use is or parody is.

I assume you haven't heard of Homestuck, because that's neither fair use nor parody, it's blatant theft.

Sadly Sadistic's Princess

Conservative Gaian

19,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200
Sick Salacious X
Miss Pancake1

I assume you haven't heard of Homestuck, because that's neither fair use nor parody, it's blatant theft.

Nope, probably because I'm not into it, and am too lazy to look at it.

However, all that Gaia has done is legal. The items that are MLP, AT, etc. were promotional and the owner of the IP gave the ok. Aka permission.

Things like the pokemon items and any items resembling other things are protected by fair use. As long as its not the exact replica and is construed, as someone brought up about weird al, then it's ok. Please, study up on law.
terrible thread

Mystical Drake

|| That which yields...||

I was going to post something on this, but it seems like everyone already covered it and it seems those who are completely obsessed with Tektek are not going to listen to any type of reason because they are ALL INTERNET LAWYERS. Good for you, people.

||... is not always weak.||

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Amorous Exhibitionist

19,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
a pizza
terrible thread
I just like watching everyone get their panites in a bunch

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff