Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Muse

Eruden Ki
Jayce Reinhardt
Gaia Staff
Bottom line is, he decided to shut down without any discussion at all. Bluealaris is still open to a discussion I believe. The balls in his court to respond to us.

Hence this statement from Gaia staff.

Gaia is still waiting at the table for Tekton and his seat remains empty.

"Bluealaris is still open for discussion I believe." - Double speak. They "believe" bluealaris is still open for discussion, but this may not be true.

The C&D offered no invitation for negotiation. I'm dubious to believe Gaia staff, further, thanks to the very fact the C&D never mentions the problematic ad that the staff mentioned.

Then you are free to believe what you wish to believe. I am not here to convince you Tekton is a flawed human like anyone else but Iin my opinion, there is more to Tektons side of the story and this shouldn't be pinned exclusively on Gaia.

Ruthless Codger

Jayce Reinhardt
Eruden Ki
Jayce Reinhardt
Gaia Staff
Bottom line is, he decided to shut down without any discussion at all. Bluealaris is still open to a discussion I believe. The balls in his court to respond to us.

"Bluealaris is still open for discussion I believe." - Double speak. They "believe" bluealaris is still open for discussion, but this may not be true.

The C&D offered no invitation for negotiation. I'm dubious to believe Gaia staff, further, thanks to the very fact the C&D never mentions the problematic ad that the staff mentioned.

Then you are free to believe what you wish to believe. I am not here to convince you Tekton is a flawed human like anyone else but Iin my opinion, there is more to Tektons side of the story and this shouldn't be pinned exclusively on Gaia.

Oh, I know Tekton may want to drop Tektek in favor of recolor.me. Completely understandable. Tekton has provided a great Gaia resource and it's a pity if it does go down. However, Tektek has ran for 11 years with no problem from Gaia.

Gaia should have known Tekton could bank on Gaians' outrage when they sent that C&D. They're the bigger fish here. They also have many, many poor decisions weighing against them in the eyes of Gaians. Tekton does not.

I expect better of Gaia. Not Tekton.

Divine Muse

Eruden Ki
Jayce Reinhardt
Eruden Ki
Jayce Reinhardt
Gaia Staff

Oh, I know Tekton may want to drop Tektek in favor of recolor.me. Completely understandable. Tekton has provided a great Gaia resource and it's a pity if it does go down. However, Tektek has ran for 11 years with no problem from Gaia.

Gaia should have known Tekton could bank on Gaians' outrage when they sent that C&D. They're the bigger fish here. They also have many, many poor decisions weighing against them in the eyes of Gaians. Tekton does not.

I expect better of Gaia. Not Tekton.

So what you are saying is that you hold Gaia to a higher standard than you hold Tekton.

Alright.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Eruden Ki
My Little Pony, Adventure Time, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood have direct rips of their characters and recognizable items from their shows.

Since Gaia is making money by using the popularity of these shows, I believe the copyright holder has to authorize the derivatives. (Especially Adventure Time, because Gaia explicitly advertises Princess Bubble Gum's look can be bought for 299 GC when you go through the Inventory Search.)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" A Houngan is wandering, away from its swarm. "

||| FMA, MLP, Black Butler, Tiger and Bunny, Madoka Magica, Walking Dead, and Adventure Time were sponsored releases. Gaia worked with the companies and had full permission to make and sell the items for cash.

I'm not defending Gaia by any means, just pointing out that some of their items, especially the exact replicas like the ones you mentioned, were actually approved by the owners for release on site.

" The wandering Houngan logged out "

Barton Cleric

20,375 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Medalist 100
evelyn greenleaf
i would love to see action taken against gaia and their blatant ripoffs ^o^

If you vehemently dislike Gaia that much, why are you still here? So you can see a site others still enjoy and love be taken down, that's enjoyable to you? neutral Well, that says a lot about you.

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sick Salacious X
Prism Stryder Kaede
wow that's a bit harsh... Gaia protects their property so you wish them sued over homage items >.>?

This tektek thing has reached rock bottom levels of rage. I get people are angry over it, but don't threaten gaia with legal action just because they had to send a cease and desist or risk losing their intellectual property.

Most of those items you hope they get sued over are stuff people asked for and gaia delivered even if it wasn't in a manner we
would like, still they delivered.

They likely didn't even want to get rid of tektek but their lawyers were probably threatening to revoke s**t if they didnt... so next time you threaten legal action take a good long look at the situation before you start petty revenge lawsuits because your avi maker got taken down, cause all you're doing is making things worse when they're already trying to cope with this heavy loss.

What do I have to fear if gaia is sued? The website goes down? Pity, I hear there's a new website called recolor.me.

Gaia has made it clear their takedown of tektek is about money, the community has been asking for what tektek has given us for YEARS (and during those years, gaia has supported tektek through references, and encouraging new users to check out the website).

And as a website with free services it's only logical that they'd have to have ads in order to cover the server costs, who cares what ads are being run? Frankly, it's none of Gaia's business so long as they're age appropriate.

The bolded shows you are quite selfish. FYI. I like this website.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Eruden Ki

Did I ever say Gaia should definitely be sued for the MLP, AT, and FMAB items? I vaguely remembered the FMAB items being sponsored, however, they're examples of what direct ripoffs are. Things that need explicit permission from the creators.

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

How is something that was released through a partnership/sponsorship examples of ripoffs?

They had explicit permission from the creators to release those items...That's why several of them were released through Mecha Neko.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Barton Cleric

20,375 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Medalist 100
Sight Ninja

tab Ditto. This site has it's ups and downs and will continue to have them, but I still love this place even though I don't agree with everything Gaia does. I will also never step a virtual foot on recolor.me as Tekton proved himself to be simply immature. How he handled this situation is unacceptable to me and I'm surprised at how many just glossed over his actions and went straight at Gaia with their torches and pitchforks. It is what it is though, as long as there are civil discussions - I'm cool. I just wished everyone looked at all the information first before pointing their finger at Gaia.

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PH0ENIX D0WN
Sight Ninja

tab Ditto. This site has it's ups and downs and will continue to have them, but I still love this place even though I don't agree with everything Gaia does. I will also never step a virtual foot on recolor.me as Tekton proved himself to be simply immature. How he handled this situation is unacceptable to me and I'm surprised at how many just glossed over his actions and went straight at Gaia with their torches and pitchforks. It is what it is though, as long as there are civil discussions - I'm cool. I just wished everyone looked at all the information first before pointing their finger at Gaia.

Honestly, in the position most users are in, we don't even have enough information to point fingers at anyone. Everyone is just mad about not being able to create an avatar, and it seems there is a really vocal group of people who dislike gaia and will bandwagon criticize at any opportunity. I don't think posting a C&D publically was a mature move, but whatever. The theories about him wanting to shut down tektek I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised; he hasn't been super active in a while so

MJ Spooks's Husbando

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
Eruden Ki
Jayce Reinhardt
Gaia Staff

May I point out that it wasn't until recently that Bluealaris was made general manager? Legal action such as the kind that Gaia just used with Tektek takes time, energy, and resources. The C&D was a last resort. And if Bluealaris wasn't actually GM when this went down, then do not place the blame on her. She is doing job. You, however, seem to be jumping to conclusions stating she did this MONTHS ago. Check the timeline, and look at the dates of the announcement here and the C&D letter. Two weeks difference. Meaning Tekton dodn't reply as they wished, and took down the website. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about any of this. Also, posting that letter while legal proceedings were still underway? Not a smart move legally. Especially if Gaia decides to go after him for defamation of character, which, again, is within their rights, considering how the Gaia userbase has outright attacked Gaia for this.

Brainy Kitten

17,775 Points
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Teefie

I disagree. I don't think Gaia will come into any problems because of their homage/parody items, because of Fair Use. What's not technically Fair Use is what Tekton was doing. i personally feel like gaia should have attempted to buy out Tektek, at least that part of the website, or even his avatar site too. I think it is in within gaia's legal grounds to send him a C&D and it's awesome they hadn't for years, but really, it's a huge grey area and up to the company whether or not they allow stuff like that to happen. but i feel confident that Gaia wont get sued over their items, nor should they.
No way should Gaia ever, ever, ever buy out recolor.
People went to that site to get away from the garbage dump that is gaiaonline.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
KittieCupcakes
Teefie

I disagree. I don't think Gaia will come into any problems because of their homage/parody items, because of Fair Use. What's not technically Fair Use is what Tekton was doing. i personally feel like gaia should have attempted to buy out Tektek, at least that part of the website, or even his avatar site too. I think it is in within gaia's legal grounds to send him a C&D and it's awesome they hadn't for years, but really, it's a huge grey area and up to the company whether or not they allow stuff like that to happen. but i feel confident that Gaia wont get sued over their items, nor should they.

How is Recolor.me any better then Gaia?

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Calelith
KittieCupcakes
Teefie

How is Recolor.me any better then Gaia?

It's too small and obscure to have the financial problems Gaia does but it will either staggnate or need to make money somehow in the future...
Fartbag McGee
For those who don't know, recolorme is likely to be in much more legal trouble than gaia. Recolorme has no age verification on their site and allows people to post 18+ content in a site for 13+. This means a person can make a thread asking for n***s or posting explicit content, and the only thing stopping people from seeing it is two buttons "Are you over eighteen and willing to see adult content? Y/N".

Whaaaaa?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces