Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Lunatic

Blue Beastie
from blue to
Kaworu 17
Blue Beastie
Apparently this was based off a true story?
You mean you haven't had at least three overzealous atheist professors in your college experience?

I heard there was an angry atheist prof when I was in college. Having recently left Christianity, I excitedly signed up for one of his philosophy classes. Turns out he was Christian. Tennessee...just talk about other religions and they label you an atheist.

Unfortunately, it may be typical of the South. I once visited a Baptist church and a "First Church of the Nazarene" and they don't like Buddhists much, I can tell you that.

You visited a southern baptist church eek ! I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Idol Syndrome

what you said right here really stood out to me. i agree the movie wasn't very good in fact it has gotten a lot of low ratings, and was poorly executed. because you CAN'T prove or DISPROVE god exist.
No it's not very good because the plot is unrealistic and it contributes to the persecution complex that certain Christians seem to have about the "ebil libber'l" universities trying to convert people to atheism.

Quote:
but i feel like that was not the point of the movie to demonize non-believers. i really hope no one else felt that way. it was trying to give faith to believers,we're in an age where it's highly suggested and acceptable to not believe in god (which is fine) but the issue is when SOME people make fun of others for believing in a superior being that may or may not exist.
No it's not socially acceptable to not believe in a god in the US, and not just any god but it's always YHWH. Though in fairness, depending on your area, a deist god is an acceptable substitute. What most people are making fun of is the small god that certain vocal Christians like to paint as the only God.

Quote:
where if someone even mentions the name god they get ridiculed by others telling them "how dumb they are " or the bible or jesus is BS.
And that's usually on the internet. Most in the US do not face being told that to their face.

Quote:
SCIENCE ANSWERS EVERYTHING.
I agree with you on this, it doesn't.
Quote:
you know how much crap i get on gaia just by how my avitar looks?
Sorry. I think it looks cool.

Quote:
i'm not trying to say religious folks have it bad or whatever.
Really? It came off like you were.

Quote:
most problems in the world do revolve around religion (okay most lol) and i can understand why people want religion out of their lives.
Actually it doesn't.

Quote:
but people get into religion for different things and i feel for someone who had a bad experience with religion or just doesn't fully understand shouldn't have the right to poke fun at another person that wants to pray to "their" god to help them get through the day or get over the lost of a loved one (like i did) sometimes we need answers to stuff science might not be ale to explain.
I'm sorry for your loss but people are people. It's part of our nature to make fun of what we don't understand and what is foreign to us. That's one of the downsides of being a social animal. We will demonize that which is not part of our tribe. Though we can use this trait in constructive ways to criticize what is destructive and really doesn't make any sense. It can be a jumping point to learn more since it does leave you wondering "why?"

Quote:
the movie was just trying to uplift (christians) that it's okay to believe in god he's not truely dead if you don't feel that way. if you felt that the movie was just another "brainwash" backwards movie than it's just not for you ya know? please i really hope you don't feel that way with religious movies. i've seen a lot when i was in private school and never had they tried to brainwash us to discriminate against others of different belief. we're all not like that
No God is not dead, but the Gawd that most promote is a god that is too small and is against everything this particular community of Christians hate. I don't think the movie was trying to brainwash, since brainwashing doesn't exist, but it is promoting the idea that Christians in the US are actively being persecuted which they are not.

Unforgiving Warlord

from blue to
Blue Beastie
from blue to
Kaworu 17
Blue Beastie
You mean you haven't had at least three overzealous atheist professors in your college experience?

I heard there was an angry atheist prof when I was in college. Having recently left Christianity, I excitedly signed up for one of his philosophy classes. Turns out he was Christian. Tennessee...just talk about other religions and they label you an atheist.

Unfortunately, it may be typical of the South. I once visited a Baptist church and a "First Church of the Nazarene" and they don't like Buddhists much, I can tell you that.

You visited a southern baptist church eek ! I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

XD Aw, it wasn't so bad. I didn't really feel "at home" there, but they did try to be as neighborly as possible.

Beloved Lunatic

Blue Beastie
from blue to
Blue Beastie
from blue to
Kaworu 17
Blue Beastie

XD Aw, it wasn't so bad. I didn't really feel "at home" there, but they did try to be as neighborly as possible.

I just gotta give southern baptists s**t because that's the church I grew up in.

Unforgiving Warlord

from blue to
Blue Beastie
from blue to
Blue Beastie
from blue to

I just gotta give southern baptists s**t because that's the church I grew up in.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. :c

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I'd also like to point out that the film is endorsed by the American Family Association. I thought to myself, "Well, maybe I'll see what this movie is really about for myself. Open mind and all that jazz."

Unfortunately, after I saw it was endorsed by what the Southern Poverty Law Center classifies as a "hate group" (which it is, by the way), I couldn't bring myself to spend my time and money on it in good conscience.

Quoted from the God's Not Dead webpage:
Quote:
"God's Not Dead is cut out of today's headlines. The courage of a university student who takes on his atheist professor makes for a gripping story that reflects how Christians and Christian groups suffer severe discrimination on most college campuses today." -- Tim Wildmon, President, American Family Association

Really, Tim? Christians and Christian groups suffer SEVERE DISCRIMINATION on MOST college campuses today. I'd like to emphasize MOST. APPARENTLY, Tim Wildmon has supporting evidence for this egregious claim that Christians get pushed into s**t in MOST U.S. college campuses.

Unforgiving Warlord

Mrtyu-Mara
I'd also like to point out that the film is endorsed by the American Family Association. I thought to myself, "Well, maybe I'll see what this movie is really about for myself. Open mind and all that jazz."

Unfortunately, after I saw it was endorsed by what the Southern Poverty Law Center classifies as a "hate group" (which it is, by the way), I couldn't bring myself to spend my time and money on it in good conscience.

Quote:
"God's Not Dead is cut out of today's headlines. The courage of a university student who takes on his atheist professor makes for a gripping story that reflects how Christians and Christian groups suffer severe discrimination on most college campuses today." -- Tim Wildmon, President, American Family Association

Really, Tim? Christians and Christian groups suffer SEVERE DISCRIMINATION on MOST college campuses today. I'd like to emphasize MOST. APPARENTLY, Tim Wildmon has supporting evidence for this egregious claim that Christians get pushed into s**t in MOST U.S. college campuses.

I have a couple questions!
1. Is college like it is in movies? With the constant drunken sex-orgies and the like? Cause I could totally believe that Christians get picked on a lot in college, especially if that's the case.
No, really.

2. Possible giant miscalculation aside, if this really did happen to this student, whose side would you pick?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Mrtyu-Mara

Quote:

Didn't know who endorsed it. Knowing that makes me less likely to watch it now.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Blue Beastie

1. Is college like it is in movies? With the constant drunken sex-orgies and the like? Cause I could totally believe that Christians get picked on a lot in college, especially if that's the case.
No, really.
No it's not like that. Granted I went to a college in northern Louisiana, you had some parties with drinking but they didn't turn into wild orgies.
Edit: You also had a constant reminder that Christianity was present if not from students but from the 40+ churches that were in the town. Seriously the town had only about 10,000 people but there was 4 pages dedicated to churches in the yellow pages.

Quote:
2. Possible giant miscalculation aside, if this really did happen to this student, whose side would you pick?
It probably wouldn't happen but if it did, to entertain the hypothetical, I'd side with whoever had the most truth on their side.

Unforgiving Warlord

rmcdra
Blue Beastie

No, really.
No it's not like that. Granted I went to a college in northern Louisiana, you had some parties with drinking but they didn't turn into wild orgies.
Edit: You also had a constant reminder that Christianity was present if not from students but from the 40+ churches that were in the town. Seriously the town had only about 10,000 people but there was 4 pages dedicated to churches in the yellow pages.

Quote:
It probably wouldn't happen but if it did, to entertain the hypothetical, I'd side with whoever had the most truth on their side.

So you would side with the professor forcing a student to claim his God is dead, even with the student not forcing the professor to do anything?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Blue Beastie

So you would side with the professor forcing a student to claim his God is dead, even with the student not forcing the professor to do anything?
Where did I say that?

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Wow, I don't think I've seen anything quite as pathetic as that movie trailer. rofl Is this what it's coming to now? The Christians who are "severely persecuted" are going to show a movie about the big bad liberal atheist professor picking on the innocent and pure Christian student. What a complete waste of film. rolleyes

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Blue Beastie
Mrtyu-Mara

Quote:

No, really.

1. The college I went to was not like that. Now...there is a college here in Ohio known as the "party school", so it could be a possibility that college is all about sex, drugs, and parties on that campus. But on mine? Not really.

2. If a class did have a zealot Professor that pushed his/her views onto his/her students, I would of course side with the students. Forcing beliefs (no matter what they are), is not okay. I don't even go see atheism-driven movies most of the time, because they're usually just as bad when it comes to demonizing believers -- Christians especially.

I actually took an Introduction to Ethics class a few semesters back (which fell under Philosophy), and my teacher was too religious for my liking. He gave us all a textbook that he wrote for us, and while reading, it came across as highly biased in Christian religion. Needless to say, I dropped the class. I didn't cause a scene. I didn't b***h and complain. Reading the text book, and doing the homework, I simply said, "Nope." If I wanted to take a class for Christian ethics, I would have.

I won't ever say that teachers never cross the line when it comes to discrimination. Of course some do. No one is perfect. But to say that Christians and Christian groups across the United States suffer severe discrimination on MOST college campuses is a highly suspect to me.

Unforgiving Warlord

rmcdra
Blue Beastie

Where did I say that?

Nowhere, I was just trying to be more specific with my question. I was afraid it sounded rude, I apologize. That wasn't the tone I was going for. x3

Mrtyu-Mara
1. The college I went to was not like that. Now...there is a college here in Ohio known as the "party school", so it could be a possibility that college is all about sex, drugs, and parties on that campus. But on mine? Not really.

2. If a class did have a zealot Professor that pushed his/her views onto his/her students, I would of course side with the students. Forcing beliefs (no matter what they are), is not okay. I don't even go see atheism-driven movies most of the time, because they're usually just as bad when it comes to demonizing believers -- Christians especially.

I actually took an Introduction to Ethics class a few semesters back (which fell under Philosophy), and my teacher was too religious for my liking. He gave us all a textbook that he wrote for us, and while reading, it came across as highly biased in Christian religion. Needless to say, I dropped the class. I didn't cause a scene. I didn't b***h and complain. Reading the text book, and doing the homework, I simply said, "Nope." If I wanted to take a class for Christian ethics, I would have.

I won't ever say that teachers never cross the line when it comes to discrimination. Of course some do. No one is perfect. But to say that Christians and Christian groups across the United States suffer severe discrimination on MOST college campuses is a highly suspect to me.

I see. Well, I commend your maturity! I too watched the movie thinking, "I'm pretty sure a professor isn't allowed to make his students write that for a grade..." But then I saw it was apparently a true story. I'm sure there were exaggerations though, like you insinuated.

You know what I think is sad? In China, this is definitely more of a problem, but he had the least developed sub-pot.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Blue Beastie

Nowhere, I was just trying to be more specific with my question. I was afraid it sounded rude, I apologize. That wasn't the tone I was going for. x3
Oh okay.

No I wouldn't side with the professor because it's closed minded. I mean what kind of school would force students or professors to believe in a metaphysical stance without any argument... oh wait.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff