Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Receiver

Is God dead? What do you think? If God is dead, why?

If God is not dead, how would you defend his existence?

I saw an interesting movie trailer: God's Not Dead

And it struck me, how does someone defend God?

Unfortunately, I have not seen the movie yet
if some of you have, please share your insights smile

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Reading the synopsis of the movie, it sounds like whoever made the movie is one of those, "Help! The minority is oppressing the religious majority!"

Quoted from the God's Not Dead website:
Quote:
Present-day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), finds his faith challenged on his first day of Philosophy class by the dogmatic and argumentative Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo). Radisson begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face a failing grade. As other students in the class begin scribbling the words “God Is Dead” on pieces of paper as instructed, Josh find himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future. Josh offers a nervous refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor. Radisson assigns him a daunting task: if Josh will not admit that “God Is Dead,” he must prove God’s existence by presenting well-researched, intellectual arguments and evidence over the course of the semester, and engage Radisson in a head-to-head debate in front of the class. If Josh fails to convince his classmates of God’s existence, he will fail the course and hinder his lofty academic goals. With almost no one in his corner, Josh wonders if he can really fight for what he believes.

So basically, the movie is horseshit to begin with. It's not something I will even force myself to go see. It's just another tool to attempt to demonize non-believers.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
Mrtyu-Mara
Reading the synopsis of the movie, it sounds like whoever made the movie is one of those, "Help! The minority is oppressing the religious majority!"

Quoted from the God's Not Dead website:
Quote:
Present-day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), finds his faith challenged on his first day of Philosophy class by the dogmatic and argumentative Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo). Radisson begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face a failing grade. As other students in the class begin scribbling the words “God Is Dead” on pieces of paper as instructed, Josh find himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future. Josh offers a nervous refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor. Radisson assigns him a daunting task: if Josh will not admit that “God Is Dead,” he must prove God’s existence by presenting well-researched, intellectual arguments and evidence over the course of the semester, and engage Radisson in a head-to-head debate in front of the class. If Josh fails to convince his classmates of God’s existence, he will fail the course and hinder his lofty academic goals. With almost no one in his corner, Josh wonders if he can really fight for what he believes.

So basically, the movie is horseshit to begin with. It's not something I will even force myself to go see. It's just another tool to attempt to demonize non-believers.

what you said right here really stood out to me. i agree the movie wasn't very good in fact it has gotten a lot of low ratings, and was poorly executed. because you CAN'T prove or DISPROVE god exist.

but i feel like that was not the point of the movie to demonize non-believers. i really hope no one else felt that way. it was trying to give faith to believers,we're in an age where it's highly suggested and acceptable to not believe in god (which is fine) but the issue is when SOME people make fun of others for believing in a superior being that may or may not exist. where if someone even mentions the name god they get ridiculed by others telling them "how dumb they are " or the bible or jesus is BS. SCIENCE ANSWERS EVERYTHING. you know how much crap i get on gaia just by how my avitar looks? i'm not trying to say religious folks have it bad or whatever. most problems in the world do revolve around religion (okay most lol) and i can understand why people want religion out of their lives. but people get into religion for different things and i feel for someone who had a bad experience with religion or just doesn't fully understand shouldn't have the right to poke fun at another person that wants to pray to "their" god to help them get through the day or get over the lost of a loved one (like i did) sometimes we need answers to stuff science might not be ale to explain.

the movie was just trying to uplift (christians) that it's okay to believe in god he's not truely dead if you don't feel that way. if you felt that the movie was just another "brainwash" backwards movie than it's just not for you ya know? please i really hope you don't feel that way with religious movies. i've seen a lot when i was in private school and never had they tried to brainwash us to discriminate against others of different belief. we're all not like that

Lunatic

Just to point it out-- saying that there is or no afterlife, it is pretty much subjective.

No one has witnessed it yet, we base our beliefs from what other people have stated.

That's unless you have witness God yourself.

Seeker

Idol Syndrome
but i feel like that was not the point of the movie to demonize non-believers. i really hope no one else felt that way. it was trying to give faith to believers,we're in an age where it's highly suggested and acceptable to not believe in god (which is fine)

But that's the thing, it really isn't?

I mean, sure, on Gaia and in certain areas (profession or geographic) it's acceptable, but just look at the political leadership of the nation. Look at our public policy. Look at our money!

It's not just being religious, it's being CHRISTIAN.

If I were to come out as non-Christian and try to run for office, no one would want me there because the majority of people, be they Democrats or Republicans, are Christian, and they want someone there to support their views.

Everywhere I go there's Christian symbolism. Does anyone take the existence of Hermes, Ra, or Odin seriously? Well, sure some people do of course, but the vast majority are not just religious but Christian.

Idol Syndrome
but the issue is when SOME people make fun of others for believing in a superior being that may or may not exist. where if someone even mentions the name god they get ridiculed by others telling them "how dumb they are " or the bible or jesus is BS. SCIENCE ANSWERS EVERYTHING. you know how much crap i get on gaia just by how my avitar looks? i'm not trying to say religious folks have it bad or whatever. most problems in the world do revolve around religion (okay most lol) and i can understand why people want religion out of their lives.

That's just false though. "Most" problems in the world are related to people who are in power desiring more power or wanting to keep that power from people who have less.

I mean, that was the real reason behind the crusades, you realise. It wasn't, "We must defend God!" because the Muslims, who were the other side, believe in the Same. God. It was all about the Catholic Church, who held power over Europe, wanting to keep Islam, which was gaining power in the Near East, from taking hold in "their" territory.

Even the September 11th attacks weren't really motivated by religion, but the vestiges of colonialism.

Idol Syndrome
but people get into religion for different things and i feel for someone who had a bad experience with religion or just doesn't fully understand shouldn't have the right to poke fun at another person that wants to pray to "their" god to help them get through the day or get over the lost of a loved one (like i did) sometimes we need answers to stuff science might not be ale to explain.

See the above. More people get made fun of, or outright attacked, because they deny the existence of the Christian god, in the United States. Not physically attacked, mind you, but Christianity, and it's desire to hold onto power, is why there is even a debate over same-sex marriage. (Well, that and rampant, acceptable, homophobia >_> wink

Idol Syndrome
the movie was just trying to uplift (christians) that it's okay to believe in god he's not truely dead if you don't feel that way. if you felt that the movie was just another "brainwash" backwards movie than it's just not for you ya know? please i really hope you don't feel that way with religious movies. i've seen a lot when i was in private school and never had they tried to brainwash us to discriminate against others of different belief. we're all not like that

That's fine. And I mean, as may be obvious from some of my posts, I'm fine with believing in gods, but the majority of people only believe in the Abrahamic god, the "one and only" and many going on to say the other gods are this "Satan" dude.

Which brings me to where I am, I suppose. The difference between militant atheists and evangelical Christians is one god, which, to me, is hardly a difference at all.
Hierarchy of Angels

The short answer is that you don't.

The long answer is that if you're a Christian, and you feel the need to protect your god from a mean old Philosophy teacher, then what you do or say next doesn't even remotely matter, because you've completely failed already.

Seeker

Maltese_Falcon91
Hierarchy of Angels

The short answer is that you don't.

The long answer is that if you're a Christian, and you feel the need to protect your god from a mean old Philosophy teacher, then what you do or say next doesn't even remotely matter, because you've completely failed already.

Of course the Philosophy professor is just a strawman anyway. Mean old nasty atheist professor forcing his views upon the poor Christian who then, through the power of God Himself, shows that the professor is BS and wins the day.

If god is irrelevant then why mention him at all? If someone wants to bring up "because god said so" in a discussion, then make them defend it somehow, but otherwise it's just stupid.
I saw that commercial and hated the movie instantly. Haven't even seen it, and I do not plan to. I just do not like the premise.

Firstly, the professor has no right to force his religious beliefs or non beliefs on his students, doing so would violate freedom of religion and he should be fired immediately.

Second, how exactly does one put god on trial? Most Christian standpoints I see is that god is above humans and therefore we have no right and/or not enough understanding to judge him. It could be just a way for the student to save his own a** and not fail the class, but then again the kid should have talked to someone about the professor violating freedom of religion in the first place. At the very least he could request a transfer to another class with a different professor.

Third, and last, the character's name is Josh Wheaton? It sounds very close to Joss Whedon, which I somewhat like as a writer. For a moment it made me think it was based on something in Joss Whedon's life, which would make me think he's an idiot to some degree. Or it could be a similar name on purpose to use the name to get butts in seats. Or it could be just a coincidence. Its a tiny thing to pick at, but it bothers me to no end stare

Beloved Lunatic

That does sound like an awful movie.

At least now I have Marilyn Manson stuck in my head...

Your god is dead
and no one cares.
If there is a hell,
then I'll see you there!

Aged Lunatic

The whole film is just one giant straw man. One that would put a Celtic Wicker Man to shame. Everyone who is Christian is pure and persecuted, anyone who is not is an outright d**k (especially the muslim father. Sheesh, I have problems with Islam and even I found that sub plot to be over the top).

Unforgiving Warlord

As a recent convert to Catholicism, I too had my problems with the movie. The Muslim family was so... I don't know, "forced" is a word I think fits. And the professor was a straw man, BUT:

Apparently this was based off a true story? If that really did happen, then yeah, the student definitely had a right to defend himself. The real professor is no longer a straw man, but a real life example. But being a movie, there may have been some exaggeration.

But what really seemed to bother is that it doesn't even attempt to hide that it's a movie FOR Christians, BY Christians. Josh (main character) did try to use broad language in his arguments for the most part, and pointed out when speaking from a Christian perspective, cuz you can only do a single perspective for theism for this sort of thing. But that Muslim family. All broadness was lost.

I don't know. I think that if you want to make a case for Christianity, you should probably start with a case for theism before trying to take it all home.

Also, not all Christians are good. In fact, MOST probably aren't. It's the most "followed" religion today? What did Christ say about how narrow the path to righteousness is, and how few people find it? I think it's the reason so many people hate this faith. So many people make it seem like something to hate. sweatdrop

I like the arguments, I don't like a lot of the plot.
But I cried at the cancer girl.
Blue Beastie
Apparently this was based off a true story?
You mean you haven't had at least three overzealous atheist professors in your college experience?

Beloved Lunatic

Kaworu 17
Blue Beastie
You mean you haven't had at least three overzealous atheist professors in your college experience?

I heard there was an angry atheist prof when I was in college. Having recently left Christianity, I excitedly signed up for one of his philosophy classes. Turns out he was Christian. Tennessee...just talk about other religions and they label you an atheist.

Unforgiving Warlord

from blue to
Kaworu 17
Blue Beastie

I heard there was an angry atheist prof when I was in college. Having recently left Christianity, I excitedly signed up for one of his philosophy classes. Turns out he was Christian. Tennessee...just talk about other religions and they label you an atheist.

Unfortunately, it may be typical of the South. I once visited a Baptist church and a "First Church of the Nazarene" and they don't like Buddhists much, I can tell you that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff