Welcome to Gaia! ::

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

This looks interesting...
Saruwatari Kooji
I don't know if "interesting" is the right word ...
The20
Saruwatari Kooji
...I'll believe it when I see it for myself.

Benevolent Borg

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
welp i had a fun night. hope everyone had a Happy Halloween as well.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
My night was amazing.

No trick or treaters because it rained and the Nexus 5 was announced and I was able to order one.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

The20
Saruwatari Kooji

Meh, 'interesting' 'frightening'...either way, you're not bored.
So, is this correct or exaggerated?
So much for "not being evil".
The20
IMNSHO, it's an overreaction.

I'm not going to say Google is blameless, but it's pretty clear to me that Google is trying to maintain some measure of homogeneity to protect the platform from fragmentation. They may be being a bit ham-handed about it, but the reason is not because they're evil, it's because they're trying to protect users from there being platforms where popular apps won't work.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

The20

It wouldn't bother me so much if they treated the Android OS itself separate from their Google apps. It sounded like that's where things were going...and then the article came out with that whole compatibility test thing.

I wouldn't mind running some Android fork and then downloading and installing the Google apps(kind of what I'm doing running AOKP). The kicker is...custom ROMs seems to be the only way to accomplish this without incurring Google's wrath. The method works fine for me...but not everyone is capable or willing to do this.
psychic stalker
The20
IMNSHO, it's an overreaction.

I'm not going to say Google is blameless, but it's pretty clear to me that Google is trying to maintain some measure of homogeneity to protect the platform from fragmentation. They may be being a bit ham-handed about it, but the reason is not because they're evil, it's because they're trying to protect users from there being platforms where popular apps won't work.
If i understand the article right they try their best to make it impossible to run applications on third party versions of Android by hiding massive parts of the implementation in closed source. At this point it looks like Android is closer to being a proprietary system than FOSS.
Is that even legal, considering the Linux kernel is licensed under the GPL?
The20
If i understand the article right they try their best to make it impossible to run applications on third party versions of Android by hiding massive parts of the implementation in closed source.
.... No. Google is limiting the ability to use Google services and APIs (read: search, maps, voice, etc.) from "non-Google" versions of Android. The definition of which seems to be whether Google Apps are themselves present. Any app which depends on the functionality of Google APIs can't run on, for example, Amazon Kindle.

Android itself is still open source and is largely unaffected. It's just the app ecosystem that is affected when it comes to using Google APIs.
The20
At this point it looks like Android is closer to being a proprietary system than FOSS.
It doesn't look like that to me. It just looks like if you want to use Google APIs, you're limited to the Google platform and your app won't work on Amazon or other forks.
The20
Is that even legal, considering the Linux kernel is licensed under the GPL?
Yes. The GPL doesn't apply here.

If we were talking about core functionality like being able to use the Wifi, that would be another matter entirely, and would be a violation of the GPL.

But this is about "cloud services" APIs, that sit well above the Dalvik runtime, far separated from any GPLd code that might affect it.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Things I've learnt tonight:
You have to say "please" after saying "no" to being groped in order to stop the groper.
Apparently not wanting to be groped is a mood swing.

I really sometimes wonder if I should just ditch sexuality altogether.

Benevolent Borg

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
Scriptkitten

[X]

Here's the drawing. Before I critique(i always critique my drawings) I'd like to apologize for the not-so-decent quality of the image and that I wound up drawing one of the other images. I was doing something different but since this is my first actual humanoid-shaped drawing in forever it turned out terrible and I just decided to go off an image like I always do.

Oh where to begin. The thing I hate the most is how the face turned out completely different than the reference and i'm not entirely sure how. But this is the first time i've ever drawn someone's fursona so i'm not that ticked off. (I promise my other sketches look a lot better than this!)

I don't even know where I was going with the feet but that's how they turned out. At least I drew those different.

The hair isn't the same but I actually like the way it turned out. That combined with the proportions of the body(which I always get wrong on all of my drawings) makes the character seem more like a young adult which i thought was interesting.

I can't draw bewbz.

I like the way the hands and arms turned out.

shirt and pants are meh.

anything else didn't stand out in particular(it's a fairly simplistic drawing...and i still ******** it up!)

Drawing is free of charge of course(why would I charge for such a bad drawing?)

Since your character isn't that complex, I might actually draw more for you in the future(assuming you want me to).

I need more practice with drawing human shapes rather than just drawing from pictures I find so this would be good practice for me. It'll be free of charge too so it's a win-wine(lots and lots of wine)

A completely unreliable guesstimate of when drawings would show up would be every month or so. If you'd rather me not quote you when a drawing is finished and just leave it here for you to search for just let me know.

Quote:

I really sometimes wonder if I should just ditch sexuality altogether.

Just reproduce by budding like I do, there's no drama you get to infect everyone with yourself ever-so-slightly.

Everyday Cat

Shade7510
Scriptkitten

[X]

Here's the drawing. Before I critique(i always critique my drawings) I'd like to apologize for the not-so-decent quality of the image and that I wound up drawing one of the other images. I was doing something different but since this is my first actual humanoid-shaped drawing in forever it turned out terrible and I just decided to go off an image like I always do.

Oh where to begin. The thing I hate the most is how the face turned out completely different than the reference and i'm not entirely sure how. But this is the first time i've ever drawn someone's fursona so i'm not that ticked off. (I promise my other sketches look a lot better than this!)

I don't even know where I was going with the feet but that's how they turned out. At least I drew those different.

The hair isn't the same but I actually like the way it turned out. That combined with the proportions of the body(which I always get wrong on all of my drawings) makes the character seem more like a young adult which i thought was interesting.

I can't draw bewbz.

I like the way the hands and arms turned out.

shirt and pants are meh.

anything else didn't stand out in particular(it's a fairly simplistic drawing...and i still ******** it up!)

Drawing is free of charge of course(why would I charge for such a bad drawing?)

Since your character isn't that complex, I might actually draw more for you in the future(assuming you want me to).

I need more practice with drawing human shapes rather than just drawing from pictures I find so this would be good practice for me. It'll be free of charge too so it's a win-wine(lots and lots of wine)

A completely unreliable guesstimate of when drawings would show up would be every month or so. If you'd rather me not quote you when a drawing is finished and just leave it here for you to search for just let me know.

Hey, I like how it turned out. Thanks ^^

Don't worry about the face/feet, I can't draw them well either (I drew that ref sheet, actually, I've got a ton more [better] images here. And I do have another character if you're interested in a non-fur).

Quoting is much appreciated since I don't check Gaia much now.

All in all I think it turned out well, especially for a first furry, since they really are hard. Feel free to use my girls as guinea pigs <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff