HAPPY NEW YEAR WARDWOOD here's to another year of deer

Celebrating Giver

26,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hero 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
3DS Friend Code: 3695-0873-3687

Happy New Year! :3

Pet Journals: Soquili | Wardwood | Balam | Matope | PawsNClaws | Animal Crossing: Barton Town | Phony Quests

Friendly Guardian

Prommmpts! I didn't even notice they started!

Friendly Guardian

Hm hm hmm

I imagined the chant I did for the Priestess to be sung in Italian and I kinda like Fiorella for the wife deer but i've also found several Irish names I like for her hm hm hmmmmm

Edit: Hm... The problem is I can't type accents worth a damn... I was thinking maybe a girl who had parent's from Airelund gets choosen by the deer and gives the deer a Irish name problem is first generation still tend to speak with a accent from their parents home country and yeah Irish accent is a no go for me

Course I could do where she's a third or forth generation girl who speaks in a perfect english accent but still retains a lot of her heritage hmmm which is why the deer has a irish name hm...

Tipsy Kitten

Happy New Year!
      Hope everyone had fun~

Friendly Guardian

Think I'm getting idea's formed

The Deer might be called Elidi (Greek for Gift of the Sun) and the Chosen maybe Mariella I need to work out the dynamic though hm

I imagine the deer to be gentle, beautiful, fair, and calm

So either I need a rash, bold, excitable char to counter complement that or I need a similar personally maybe one that's shy, quite, brave, adventurous, and maybe lacking a bit in self confidence

One dynamic is the bold rash one where the Deer keeps her chosen grounded and from flying off the handle while the other one is the Shy lacking in confidence but brave chosen where her deer mothers her and pushes her to come out of her shell

In both cases the deer is motherly in some way but in the first case she may be more like a mothering older sister rather then a straight up motherly type like in the second example

Hm...

I kinda see a seasonal thing going on with the deer too The Male deer the wander is like winter he comes in the winter to the mysterious village while they are performing their generational winter solstice ritual he stays there and finds his wife a Deer that's warm like summer plus gentle and beautiful like flowers she'd be summer then they have a child who is innocent yet wise like Spring and Fall

Though If I was adding the priestess in this the daughter would be spring for her innocence and nativity and the priestess Fall for her calm wisdom

Least that's my thought process on all this lol

Bear

Rikku Takanashi

This is pretty anecdotal, but I thought I'd chip in anyway. I'm first gen child of immigrants and I don't have a single trace of an accent, nor did any of us neighborhood kids, nor my cousins, despite growing up in a home where my parents spoke Spanish to me. It helped that, aside from home, everyone spoke English, so I don't think it's necessarily as cut-and-dry as that.

I don't think it would take a huge suspension of disbelief to say she'd have no accent despite her parents being immigrants, if she was born and grew up in a society with different accents as well, but that's just form my own experience. It probably depends a lot on who taught her, now that I think of it...

Really it's a super minor detail and I don't know if you'll still stick to it anyway, but it was fun reading your thoughts and I just rly like immigrant characters, haha. Whatever you do will be neat, I'm sure.

Magical Noob

Happy New Year! C:
Hope it'll be a good one for you all <3

Human Human

Prompt 4 is up!

I'm the child of immigrants and have no accent, but I can understand and muddle my way through speaking Cantonese (and similar variants like Taishanese). I have a bunch of friends who are children of immigrants and the vast majority of them don't have accents or only a very slight accent (though we can sometimes fail to describe something in English and occasionally with family I will slip into Chinglish--and mine is particularly egregious, I will literally just combine Chinese and English words together such as using the consonants from the English word and the vowel sounds from the Cantonese word). Even people who only recently moved that I know (within the last five years) have very light accents.

Also, writing dialects and accents phonetically can be just... well... really offensive, so I'd really recommend against it. And, especially in the case where two groups of people are speaking the same language but with two different accents, writing one as "proper" and the other as not just because of a different pronunciation implies that one pronunciation is the actual language and the other isn't and is fake/made up.
That's different from using dialect/language specific words/slang which is actually part of what someone is saying rather than how they're saying it. (So, say, the difference between using Southern California slang, diction, and grammar and writing out a "valley girl" or "surfer stoner" accent.) Interesting article on the topic with tips!

In other news, I got glasses for my avi!!! OuO
Given that I wear glasses almost everyday, I'm actually surprised I never got a pair for my avi before today.

Soldier of Song's Pardner

Floppy Member

i'unno if you're just planning out your story of the bear (or not) but speaking from experience it can be a little weird to plan everything so specifically for all the event pets, especially if you plan to carry out those plots if you actually won, since not everyone may want to adhere to said plots...

Rikku Takanashi

Friendly Guardian

Ah well I learned something important then! Lol

I think I have a kind of Myrida kind of idea for the chosen sort of a Regency not nearly as rebellious Myrida lol

And Ah this kind of detail is normal for me lol even in contests I know full well if I don't win it whoever does likely won't be doing anything like me but it's my entry and the char I MIGHT win so I like to get as much worked out as I reasonably can even if the char is slated to poof into nothing there's no saying I can tweak the idea's and quest for the char later if I really like them

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff