Welcome to Gaia! ::

Celebrating Giver

26,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hero 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
3DS Friend Code: 3695-0873-3687

Actually there are a lot of place that won't hire people BECAUSE they went to college and have a higher education. I've heard about people being rejected for that ridiculous reason multiple times now... It's silly really :/

BUT! I hope that you can find a job <3 Being able to have a job is always a nice thing! :3 <3

Pet Journals: Soquili | Matope | Ponies of Panavalon | Wardwood | Animal Crossing: Barton Town | Phony Quests | Requiem Quests

Shy Prophet

Pff, that Seaking sig makes me laugh every time I see it Twilight. xD
I hate to say it, but unfortunately I have heard similar tales. The higher up you go on the educational ladder, the more you will see rejection by some places. Not all places do that, but I know of quite a few that do. For some places it makes sense to do so, but for some it doesn't. Example: You get a degree in a field where jobs are scarce, let's say anthropology. You get an associates and you're fine, most places will hire you. Lots of people have associates degrees. You get your bachelors, places are starting to reject you because you're overqualified for the menial work you wish to undertake while searching for something that matches your degree but you can generally find something if you keep looking. You get your masters or doctorate, it is extremely unlikely to get hired for a job that doesn't deal with your degree because businesses look at your application and go "They're just wanting a job till they can find something better that deals with anthropology. Not hiring because they'll leave as soon as they find something and then we trained them and spent all that time and money on them for nothing."

At least, that is the way that it appears to me from the tales that I have heard.

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
I know it can happen depending on what your degree is for, as well as how old you are. In the business world, at least, people tend to hire recent grads over people with more experience and the same degree because the grad can work for less and will work more.

I'm hoping to degree in programming and what I really want to do is make games. Course I'll probably end up with a job in IT or something first.

Sergeant Hellraiser

24,625 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Dragon Master 50
@Bark: Oof. xP I've always wondered what was up about "overqualified" xP

Celebrating Giver

26,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hero 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
3DS Friend Code: 3695-0873-3687

oh geez... yeah... I can see that that would be the reason. Though if someone is willing to work and they want help, I think that they should hire the person anyway *nods* Cause who knows how long it will take before they find a job in their field anyway! xD

Pet Journals: Soquili | Matope | Ponies of Panavalon | Wardwood | Animal Crossing: Barton Town | Phony Quests | Requiem Quests

Celebrating Giver

26,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hero 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
CaliWolfe
Pff, that Seaking sig makes me laugh every time I see it Twilight. xD

And this xD It's mine and I have to stop and look and laugh when it comes up xD I just HAD to do it. It was like required somehow x3 <3

Vicious Firestarter

thanks for the jackalight.

No clue what to do with it now, *ponders*

Revel1984's Bae

Obsessive Streaker

Not only does my mother not get hired for being overqualified, but she faces ageism as well. Nice, isn't it. >>

Oooh I missed some stuffs while I was fighting with my interbutt 8D /catches up

Conservative Seeker

It's kind of a rock and a hard place situation. XD; My problem was when I went looking into jobs offered for my major. I went in, got my associate's in general studies but it took forever. >< I don't do loans so I paid my way through school. I did some research in animal behavior and found there was like..nothing for that. Trainers? Sure. But they want you to know someone -and- have a minor in business. So in order to get one job in one field, you need a degree in another. Animal nutrition? Same thing. Business minor preferred with experience.

So if/when I get back to school I'm going to go in for business first, get a BA there (hopefully) then try to go back for nutrition/behavior. ><

Excitable Anubutt

16,725 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Just found out my boyfriend's mom is in the hospital with pneumonia.
Will be scarce.
X.x

Conservative Seeker

Oh no ;_; I hope she's alright! I'm sorry to hear, Mews.

Celebrating Giver

26,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hero 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
I hope she gets better soon Mew! *cuddles*

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
Hope she gets better Mews.