Welcome to Gaia! ::

Intellectual Powerhouse

*always liked reading, wha* xD

Confident Duck

Qixel
I had a slightly similar situation. I didn't get held back or anything, because in my school system whether you passed or not seemed to be based on attendance and behavior. I wasn't ever really bad at reading, just mediocre. But one day, I saw my brother playing Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo. He didn't want to read everything to me, so I just watched. After a week or so, he got bored of it, so I started playing. In an rpg such as that, reading was essential. So I taught myself to read and understand the instructions based on prior stuff, and that carried onto Lufia and Super Mario RPG. So, while not comic books, I learned off a similar medium in that they'd be obscure learning devices.

It was hilarious when I, the most mediocre reader in first grade, showed up for second grade after that summer, and had the biggest vocabulary in the class. It also lead to some awkward moments, such as my teachers demanding to know how I knew words such as 'devastation' and, my personal favorites, 'carcass' and 'carrion'.

This sir *brofists* Is indeed amazing. Very similar, very much so indeed. My first RPG, I remember it well... Shining Force for the Sega Gen---- actually I take that back, my very first, RPG that I played was the original Zelda... but I didn't exactly like it very much... Shining Force... pfft as an adult I re-purchased it for the Wii and I would spend my off day (yes singular) bringing home hotwings, planting myself in front of my console with my pet rat Quin and having gaming night with her. She would sit in my lap and eat a hotwing while I played my game. *nods happily*

Darling Hunter

Blazing Battler

I used to read dialog for my siblings from game, too! My little sisters learned words like "loath" from Chrono Cross far before school would have taught them. <3 My particular reading hurdle was nothing so personally innovative and inspiring - when going into 3rd grade I couldn't read, I was sent to a separate afternoon class(older students tutoring younger), was up to grade level in a few months, and at 12th grade reading level by 6th. I think that I was simply impatient and exceptionally stubborn back then. *was a difficult child* I'd yet to discover how wonderful entertaining books could be, but I made up for lost time quickly. X3

I can imagine, though, that if my mother hadn't been so deadset against video games, I might have been more motivated! A good story and interesting characters (and, of course, intriguing art to draw in the reluctant reader) is an exceptional incentive to learn. People who think video games are bad for kids aren't encouraging their kids to play the right games. I love JRPGs. My father "santa" gave the family a PlayStation when I was in middle school. Before that, we didn't have any video game systems, unless you count those Tiger Disney handhelds, but there isn't any text in those. Beep, boop!

Confident Duck

I want to maul Sad for art...

*is a bad kid*

I mean, yes I do remember those...I had a Peter Pan one!
Awwww. That rat's gotta be cute sitting there with you.

Confident Duck

Mmhm she was... she passed away...it has been almost two years now, but I still sometimes cry about it. She was my bestfriend, I couldn't have asked for a better buddy... I was completely destroyed when she passed.

User Image
The Anesthesia
Mmhm she was... she passed away...it has been almost two years now, but I still sometimes cry about it. She was my bestfrhttp://www.gaiaonline.com/avatar/iend, I couldn't have asked for a better buddy... I was completely destroyed when she passed.

User Image

AWWWWWWWW. T-T
I had a cockatiel that was just like that. T-T Until I accidentally killed her.

Confident Duck

Quinnie lived a very long, long happy life. She was like a billion years old in Rat time...as you can see by her widdle white fuzzles on her face *tears up a little and clears throat*

I am so sorry about your cockatiel
*snuggles*
I uh...yeah. I was yound and STUPID.

Confident Duck

We all make mistakes... *hugs* as long as she was loved that is all that really matters in the end.
*snuggles in* Yeah, I guess so. If I hadn't done it with my own hands, though....agh I need to talk about something else, I think.

Confident Duck

*hugs a bit more then shoves a cupcake in front of*

Nom, noms?

Adorable Trickster

I used to have hamsters. They were cute, and good company, ignoring the pellets all over your shirt, but their life expectancy is just horrid. It didn't bother me when I was growing up, until I got really attached to one hamster in particular. It was a dwarf hamster, which was even smaller than most hamsters. It got sick one day and died in my hands. Which is a pretty traumatizing thing for an eight year old. Holding your hamster as you're home alone, looking for someone to help when of course no one can. It was the first thing I had ever invested so much love and care into, and it was ripped away, just like that.

So now I can't justify getting another rodent, no matter how cute and adorable they are. D:

Adorable Trickster

Bluedemonwolf

Tag. Sorry I took so long, my mom needed something halfway through.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff