Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Friend

XD; Her type is also on her cert.

Tbh I didn't find Whedon's Firefly comics to be as good as the TV show. Well maybe except Shepard's tale. I like superhero comics better but I haven't really been keeping up with the recent ones. owo;

Adorable Trickster

I don't hate comics per-say.

What puts me off is their incessant need to bold things completely unnecessarily. It pisses me off, and makes the quality of the work, in my eyes at least, drop significantly.

Hungry Fairy

71,725 Points
  • Bonfire Starter 500
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
Heh, it's hard to live up to the show, of course, but I still really enjoyed them. :3 The FCBD one was short but fun.

Adorable Trickster

Oh, and Griff, I love your signature layout, so I stoled it. I hope you don't mind? >.>

Friendly Friend

Yeah it does that. I guess it's a throwback to the older comics but since I've read comics for a while it's no big deal for me. XD What bugs me about manga though is that everyone is drawn the same way so it's hard to recognize characters. Also in some manga it's so cluttered I can't tell what's going on.

There's a Firefly comic from FCBD? :O

Hungry Fairy

71,725 Points
  • Bonfire Starter 500
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
@Qixel

Heheh, not all comics do the bolding thing. X3

Oh, and no, go right ahead. Glad you like it. biggrin

@Bouncy - It's on the flipside of the Star Wars one. Zack Whedon wrote both of them.

Beloved Nymph

Renekai

Tag!

Friendly Friend

Forgot to say, tag to Rene! My luck's caught up with me. XD

Confident Duck

I have a fondness for comics...

*clears throat*

I am gonna tell you guys a secret... when Ane was little and...couldn't read English I just couldn't understand the words that the teachers were trying to make me read and write... I repeated Kindergarten twice because I just couldn't grasp the concept of reading... my second year during winter break I was in the Super Market with my mother and I saw a comic book for the very first time...it was Spider-Man and I adored it, I had never seen such a thing before, the drawings were amazing, even though I didn't understand anything that was written in it I begged by mother to buy it. So she did. Little by little I learned to read the words on the pages because I wanted to know what was happening. I basically learned to read because of comic books...

There... end of confession

Adorable Trickster

Bluedemonwolf

Tag. :3
The Anesthesia
I have a fondness for comics...

*clears throat*

I am gonna tell you guys a secret... when Ane was little and...couldn't read English I just couldn't understand the words that the teachers were trying to make me read and write... I repeated Kindergarten twice because I just couldn't grasp the concept of reading... my second year during winter break I was in the Super Market with my mother and I saw a comic book for the very first time...it was Spider-Man and I adored it, I had never seen such a thing before, the drawings were amazing, even though I didn't understand anything that was written in it I begged by mother to buy it. So she did. Little by little I learned to read the words on the pages because I wanted to know what was happening. I basically learned to read because of comic books...

There... end of confession

It does help a lot when you have something you're interested in. I wouldn't be ashamed of that. <3
I basically learned to swim because I wanted to be like a dolphin.

Friendly Friend

That's an awesome confession Ane. >w<

Fuzzy Firestarter

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Loiterer 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Bouncy_Pineapple

Renekai

Tag to both of you :3

Adorable Trickster

The Anesthesia

I had a slightly similar situation. I didn't get held back or anything, because in my school system whether you passed or not seemed to be based on attendance and behavior. I wasn't ever really bad at reading, just mediocre. But one day, I saw my brother playing Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo. He didn't want to read everything to me, so I just watched. After a week or so, he got bored of it, so I started playing. In an rpg such as that, reading was essential. So I taught myself to read and understand the instructions based on prior stuff, and that carried onto Lufia and Super Mario RPG. So, while not comic books, I learned off a similar medium in that they'd be obscure learning devices.

It was hilarious when I, the most mediocre reader in first grade, showed up for second grade after that summer, and had the biggest vocabulary in the class. It also lead to some awkward moments, such as my teachers demanding to know how I knew words such as 'devastation' and, my personal favorites, 'carcass' and 'carrion'.
LOL Qixel.

A lot of the ways they teach reading just...it doesn't work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff