Welcome to Gaia! ::

What animal BEST describes A Black Shield

Stalking Jungle Cats (ex Panthers) 0.25961538461538 26.0% [ 27 ]
Fierce and Loyal Wolves 0.42307692307692 42.3% [ 44 ]
Other - explain in thread 0.028846153846154 2.9% [ 3 ]
GOLD 0.28846153846154 28.8% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 104 ]

Gelynna Caladon

And also about this whole thing with Karigan's love life: if you all remember anything from he FAQ on her website, she did say that she never expected people to focus so much on Karigan's love life, period. To her it was just one thread amongst the whole tapestry. And that's how it should be for all of us. It isn't some highly influential relationship for her like Xena/Ares/Gabrielle. (Yes, my geek side is showing.) However, love is love. Stuff happens. Britain makes it very true to life. Nothing ever goes our way. Heck, I've only just now found my own real deal, and it was in a place I last expected. But my love life isn't my main focus. Britain just makes Karigan's life one we don't always expect, because she's special.

That's a pretty good thing to keep in mind, actually. If you think about it, these books cover a pretty good chunk of time, so they should be viewed in a larger scope than one would normally think. It's not a romance, or just simply a fantasy novel. It's not even the life of one girl, it's the history of an entire kingdom--maybe even more than that, if we take the events in HKT into account.

Which is perhaps a bit of a grand way of describing a book series, but I think the scope of them is important, because it is something that's easy to forget.

Gelynna Caladon
I'll try not to make a joke about getting hit below the belt.. oh wait, I just did.

rofl

Invisible Treasure

15,575 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
okay,
so i finally got my car unlocked and drove it over to my cousins apartment in indy...
didn't spend the entire day at gencon, but we did spend 10 hours there today.

met a new friend i call mr bowler hat.... he constantly wears a bowler hat which is why i call him that.

I also met a girl named anna... she is a pink neko girl.... she is pretty awesome..

oh and the game of werewolf i started on thursday is still going on.... pretty awesome... they kept playing even after i went homw yesterday...

anyway... pretty awesome day will post more later

and on a green rider note;
All characters have a story to tell.... that includes love lives.... or lack of....
but as readers we tend to stick to romance as an idea for fantasizing.... it gives us a door for our imaginations to run rampant...

as good readers we should also focus on the story that is being told.

Karigan is a special girl with whom has the ability to chanel westrion's powers... as often as this helps her this also hinders her as well. that is the basis of the story... the romance, fighting, and adventure is the meat and potatoes of the dish that is the story

Invisible Treasure

15,575 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Day 3 of Gencon...
Saturday...
Well I finished my Moka-san costume to include my white wig... my sister Mayania dressed up as Pink Moka... and never again am i wearing my military dress shoes... with in 10 minutes of walking the backside of my right heel was bleeding through my military dress socks.... i had to switch shoes with my sister... who the shoes didn't bother at all..... i feel there was a Karma attack with that but oh well...

Since my heel was very sore i ended up playing werewolf for the entire duration that me, Mayania, and my cousin (Who played Ginie Morikawa he didn't have tha black wig that Gin had since Mayania cut it too short and at an opposite angle so we opted not to wear it.) were there.

Lot of fun but i wish my heel hadn't been attacked by my shoes.

and the game of werewolf is the same group that played on thrus and friday..... same location that makes three days that the rounds were bing played.

DAY 4
Sunday
Opted not to go to GENCON.... we need a day to wind down. so we watched all of Macross 7 and Macross 7 Dynamite....

I think next next year for gencon WE (myself, Mayania, and my cousin) will all be going as characters from Macross, and or ROBOTECH...

If anyone would like to join us in our cosplay, we would be more than willing to accept more Cosplayers .

Greedy Fatcat

I think Bronn, from Game of Thrones, was once a Weapon. It makes perfect sense. ninja

Valiant Jackling

waaaa! I'm starting to get anxious. I'm going to Renn Faire next weekend and my jerkin still hasn't arrived yet gonk Hopefully it'll come in this coming week because they said it could take 4-6 weeks and next week is week 6.

I'd really like to have it for Faire...

edit: I'm really glad I'm not sending my resumé out. The crazy dude who killed someone at the Empire State Building yesterday... he graduated from the same college i went to -__- I'm not particularly happy with my college but that *might* hurt graduates looking for a job. Certainly will cause a PR problem for the school.

I'm more worried that those politicians out there who dislike the art industry/concept of art education will use this news to back up their reasoning as to why education in the arts should be axed or significantly reduced....

Invisible Treasure

15,575 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Erailea
waaaa! I'm starting to get anxious. I'm going to Renn Faire next weekend and my jerkin still hasn't arrived yet gonk Hopefully it'll come in this coming week because they said it could take 4-6 weeks and next week is week 6.

I'd really like to have it for Faire...

edit: I'm really glad I'm not sending my resumé out. The crazy dude who killed someone at the Empire State Building yesterday... he graduated from the same college i went to -__- I'm not particularly happy with my college but that *might* hurt graduates looking for a job. Certainly will cause a PR problem for the school.

I'm more worried that those politicians out there who dislike the art industry/concept of art education will use this news to back up their reasoning as to why education in the arts should be axed or significantly reduced....

Era : I don't think you have much to worry about there have been more shootings from techinical colleges by far than from art schools.

and as far as your jerkin.... did they give you a tracking number??? if not try calling them and asking for the tracking number

Greedy Fatcat

Idiots will come up with the stupidest reasons to cut off funding... And crazy people will be crazy, no matter where they grew up or went to school. How many people go to school there? And how many are bat-s**t crazy murderers? Suddenly, the exception is now the rule.

That kind of reasoning is just inherently flawed. I hope you don't have to put up with that idiocy, Era. It wouldn't be fair.

Whew. Rant over.

Also, jerkin! Awesome! I hope you get it in time, post pictures! OwO What was the final total, I still wanna save up for mine. lol.

Valiant Jackling

@ Banedemon - sadly that kind of logic never applies when it comes to politics. Doesn't mean a ruling will be passed, but politicians could still use it to sway others. Wouldn't be the first time something small (in the grand scheme of things) was blown out of proportion in the world of political affairs.

On the note of the jerkin - no, I didn't get a tracking number. At least not yet, if I will at all. The jerks are made to order. Technically it's 4-6 week for production. So it mightn't arrive until week 7 or 8 D;

I'll post pictures when I can xD

Just hoping it arrives in time for Faire.... Will definitely have it for comic con thought and since I'm attending for 3 days I'm wearing it for one wink
I hope your Jerkin arrives in time, Era!

Politicians will blow everything out of the water. That's because they never graduated from preschool. I hope that they don't take his schooling into account, though. Really, a person's education doesn't have a whole lot of influence on whether or not they snap.

I was really sad to hear about the shooting, too. It's awful. =(
I FOUND A REAL-LIFE INTRUIGE BOARD.
http://hiconsumption.com/2012/06/3-man-chess-set/

Ok, well, it's three-person chess, but seriously! It's the same principle!

Valiant Jackling

Three way chess!

I'd totally fail, hard core. I suck at chess when it's the standard version xp

As for the jerkin... it has me a little upset at the moment. I'm going to call them again in two weeks if I don't have it. The call I made today didn't leave me with a good feeling. I don't think they've even started on my order yet. Or, if they have, they've just barely done so. It's never a good sign when they can't even give you a rough estimate of arrival gonk

I know the jerkins are made upon order and I know they're designed for men, so they had to do a bit of redesigning so it could fit me, but this is a touch ridiculous. I ordered it 6 weeks ago! At most I had expected to hear it might take another week or two due to the extra step required for its production, but instead I was told "it took awhile to redesign because you're female and the item is meant for a man" and "we don't know when it will get out, when do you need it by?"

Not very comforting :/ Comic Con is just over a month away. Now I'm nervous. If I don't have it for Con I don't know when I'd wear the thing until next year gonk It's almost starting to feel like I wasted my money buying it this year instead of next.

I couldn't have ordered it too much earlier either. I had called the business a day or two prior to the order being placed just to ask a few questions on sizing and had been told to make sure I was available in case the team needed to contact me, what with the jerkin being for a woman. So I wouldn't have been able to place the order before vacation, which I had thought about doing but neglected to do so. I ended up ordering it shortly after I returned but I don't know if I'm going to get it in time now.

It's a little frustrating that I won't have it for Renn Faire, but at this point I'm more concerned with Comic Con.

All my cosplay money (and then some) went into that outfit...

Greedy Fatcat

That's ridiculous! It doesn't take a whole month and a half to redesign something. Jeez. -_-

Valiant Jackling

Well, I wasn't really planning on buying anything at Renn Faire since my Jerkin wasn't in but I got to talking to a leather vendor and ended up buying bracers.

I'd bought a pair last year, but I feel like the vendor was only in it for the money because an hour or so after wearing them the leather felt like it was cutting into my skin. They really hadn't given recommendation or anything either. The lady today was really very friendly and pointed out which bracers she thought would be best for an assassin, which is what we pretty much what we broke the Black Shield down into (royal guards / assassins) and even though I had asked about the larger style of bracers (that cover most of your forearm) she suggested the smaller ones instead (which cover half the forearm), even though they were $20-30 cheaper, stating they'd look better with my proportions.

I've been wearing them since I got them... so roughly 4 1/2 hours and they're really super comfortable. They were a tad uncomfortable at first, but that's because they were tied too tight, but as soon as they were loosened it felt, as the saying goes, like wearing a glove.

They have really nice boots there too, but I don't think I'll ever want to spend $500-800 for a pair that end just below the knee. Yes, they're guaranteed to last 20-30 years, but that's still a crud load of money to put down on a pair of shoes, in my opinion.

Had fun looking at all the shiny swords. If I don't make a cosplay next year I might use the money to buy one instead. Also looked at bow, but only one vendor had any and they were long bows. I want a short bow. I ran into a guy who owned one, he gave me the company name. I'll have to look into them, but at this point I think I might just wait until next year. Might buy one over a sword. The guy's arrows were... powder tipped? Don't remember the technical name, but they have rubber balls at the end and the bow doesn't have the power to really hurt anyone. It's the type of bow used for LARPing, so you can shoot people and not hurt them xD But it was a real wooden bow! Just designed for play and not hunting.

Invisible Treasure

15,575 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Erailea
....Might buy one over a sword. The guy's arrows were... powder tipped? Don't remember the technical name, but they have rubber balls at the end and the bow doesn't have the power to really hurt anyone. It's the type of bow used for LARPing, so you can shoot people and not hurt them xD But it was a real wooden bow! Just designed for play and not hunting.

those sound like the arrows they might use in live training... reference Protecter of the small and heralds of valemar book series....

Valiant Jackling

Banedemon
Erailea
....Might buy one over a sword. The guy's arrows were... powder tipped? Don't remember the technical name, but they have rubber balls at the end and the bow doesn't have the power to really hurt anyone. It's the type of bow used for LARPing, so you can shoot people and not hurt them xD But it was a real wooden bow! Just designed for play and not hunting.

those sound like the arrows they might use in live training... reference Protecter of the small and heralds of valemar book series....

Maybe in the past (the movie Swan Princess used arrows with powder filled puffs at the end for a contest, don't know if that's a legit history thing though). Only place I can imagine it being used in training these days is during a friendly game of play or events like Pennsic, but that's 1-2 weeks of LARPing. I've thought about doing Pennsic, but it's expensive and unless I can go with a group of friends I'd feel really awkward at (I'm a total wall flower around people I don't know).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff