Welcome to Gaia! ::

AstralCzarina
Salvatore Graziano
xThe Goblin Queenx
How can anyone say we don't need black history month.

Perhaps you've heard of Emmit Till?
Considering your lack of respect probably not.
Emmit Till was a 14 year old boy. In 1955 on August 28th, he was kidnapped and and beaten with a pistol, then his attackers tied him up and shot him in the head. After he was dead they tied him to a 70 pound fan and threw him in the river.
They attackers were arrested, and then found not guilty.

In 2001 Raynard Johnson a 17 year old black male as hung from a tree for whistling at a white girl.

There are 154 known cases of black woman lynchings.

And now you're thinking that was in the past we've learned.

In 2009 58 hate crimes took place. One third of them were targeted at black people.

My mother is of mixed races, when she was pregnant with me she used to pray, that I wouldn't look like her so I would never have to feel the pain she did.
Can you imagine praying your child doesn't look like you? Because you've suffered because of you're skin colour?

How can you look at all the people who have suffered and say that we don't need a month to remember them.
They deserve a whole damn year.
You should be thinking of all the people who died, all the people who where beaten, all the people who cried over a lost child because someone took them away because they where black.

I am disgusted that you can think of these people and not care about them.
Just disgusted.

Perhaps you've heard of the Native Americans? Probably not, because they were subject to near genocide.

More than 100 years ago.

And?

IRL Noob

_D34D_SK1N_M4SK_
I too am sickened...... I got the flu sad
i have a headache emo

OG Raider

xThe Goblin Queenx

Emmit Till was a 14 year old boy. In 1955 on August 28th, he was kidnapped and and beaten with a pistol, then his attackers tied him up and shot him in the head. After he was dead they tied him to a 70 pound fan and threw him in the river.

In 2001 Raynard Johnson a 17 year old black male as hung from a tree for whistling at a white girl.

In 2009 58 hate crimes took place. One third of them were targeted at black people.

My mother is of mixed races, when she was pregnant with me she used to pray, that I wouldn't look like her so I would never have to feel the pain she did.
Can you imagine praying your child doesn't look like you? Because you've suffered because of you're skin colour?

How can you look at all the people who have suffered and say that we don't need a month to remember them.
You should be thinking of all the people who died, all the people who where beaten, all the people who cried over a lost child because someone took them away because they where black.

Just disgusted.

TLDR ;D
Yeah. truely sad of the cold hearted people..
why do people have to be so scared of what they are not and what is different this will be the downfall of america our founding father's were hypocitical and said all crap about freedeom and blah blah blah but nurtured and raised the very flame of hate that will soon end all that we have worked for and established we cannot be raised by ignorance and hate because of skincolor or nationality we have to not like someone becoause we just dont dont be ignorant i am DUSGUSTED.btw dont say things you wouldn't say in person that urks me geesh rolleyes
Beacuse in the Crime rates i would just move away from that Area. Honestly, i hate User Image
RACISTS!!

Gracious Fairy

Well sweetie have fun being sick alot, because not everyone buys into this bull.

I'm in all likely hood no more racist than you are. I have never commited a hate crime, and I see no reason why I should be made to feel guilty for something I have had nothing to do with, and nor should I or anyother person who just so happens to be born white.

'Blacks' are by no means the only people to suffer from 'racism'. Humans are as a whole are horrible to eachother, because crazy, be an exception end of story.

Lonely Dabbler

7,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I don't mind that there is a black history month. In fact.... in all reality... I don't think I really care either way. What seems odd though is that no other race has their own month to celebrate their history (as far as I know). Whatever makes people happy I guess in the end. I think people get too bent about something that in all reality isn't a big deal at all.
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.
thats deep

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

Black history month is about what black americans have done for society. Not what society did to them.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

Who is "you"???

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

By Lantern Light
Well sweetie have fun being sick alot, because not everyone buys into this bull.

I'm in all likely hood no more racist than you are. I have never commited a hate crime, and I see no reason why I should be made to feel guilty for something I have had nothing to do with, and nor should I or anyother person who just so happens to be born white.

'Blacks' are by no means the only people to suffer from 'racism'. Humans are as a whole are horrible to eachother, because crazy, be an exception end of story.

Fun fact: Racism isn't individual acts of meanness. (though, of course, it's good that you haven't committed a crime against anyone! yikes)

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack is a short essay with a checklist to help white people think about the way racism has affected society, particularly in terms of their experience.

The point is not to feel guilty for being white. The point is to own that you are white, acknowledge what that means in society, and then, if you are into being a decent person, apply your new knowledge to that aspect of your personality. Which is more words, but much simpler than feeling martyred for having to learn about racism; it's just being yourself, but a little more aware of unspoken stuff. smile

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
xThe Goblin Queenx

You are correct. It is sick and disgusting. There are a lot of white folks (not all of them, just the handful) that come here and troll but they don't understand how it feels or what their ancestors have done to blacks that still has an impact. Not even just to black people, to other races, though it seems to have been aimed specifically at blacks. I hate it and it makes me angry.

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Personally I don't like it, relegating all black history into one month seems insulting, like a pittance really. How many other races have a month dedicated to their history?
How many of them want one? Because rather than take a month to observe their people's accomplishment, they do so everyday, every month, and every year? I would rather do that than pay tribute with a month.

Instead of dedicating a month to one races history, let's make everyday black history month, better yet, let's make it American History Month. Because Black History is American history.
I say we don't need a month, we need every day, every month, every year, every minute and second. We should pay tribute to all the accomplishments, ups, and downs, and how they built, broke, and influenced our country, more importantly the world.

And racism, is never going to go away.
No amount of history months, history years, history forevers, will change that.
Because people are always going to find something to divide and subjugate others with.
Take away racism, and you're still going to have others who judge and bias with other things.
Religion, gender, sexuality, wealth (or lack thereof), political beliefs, age, hair color, eye color, what they wear, how they talk, what condiment they like on their burger, to what books they buy.

Take your pick.

People are going to use it to judge you and as an excuse to treat you like a second class citizen, or worse.

Gracious Fairy

X sansmerci
By Lantern Light

Fun fact: Racism isn't individual acts of meanness. (though, of course, it's good that you haven't committed a crime against anyone! yikes)

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack is a short essay with a checklist to help white people think about the way racism has affected society, particularly in terms of their experience.

The point is not to feel guilty for being white. The point is to own that you are white, acknowledge what that means in society, and then, if you are into being a decent person, apply your new knowledge to that aspect of your personality. Which is more words, but much simpler than feeling martyred for having to learn about racism; it's just being yourself, but a little more aware of unspoken stuff. smile

Agreed.

See I skimmed over the essay, and it seemed to make the same onesided assumption as occur pretty much everywhere. Racism is a white problem (topped by sexism is a male problem). Everyone should be taught not to allow color or heritage to tint their view of people.

Why in heaven should I have to acknowledge that I'm white? Isn't it a far better endeavor to acknowledge oneself as simply human with all the faults that entails, try to shrug off the tribal/clan instincts that come with our programming, and work to view everyone as equal under the eyes of god?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff