Welcome to Gaia! ::

How can anyone say we don't need black history month.

Perhaps you've heard of Emmit Till?
Considering your lack of respect probably not.
Emmit Till was a 14 year old boy. In 1955 on August 28th, he was kidnapped and and beaten with a pistol, then his attackers tied him up and shot him in the head. After he was dead they tied him to a 70 pound fan and threw him in the river.
They attackers were arrested, and then found not guilty.

In 2001 Raynard Johnson a 17 year old black male as hung from a tree for whistling at a white girl.

There are 154 known cases of black woman lynchings.

And now you're thinking that was in the past we've learned.

In 2009 58 hate crimes took place. One third of them were targeted at black people.

My mother is of mixed races, when she was pregnant with me she used to pray, that I wouldn't look like her so I would never have to feel the pain she did.
Can you imagine praying your child doesn't look like you? Because you've suffered because of you're skin colour?

How can you look at all the people who have suffered and say that we don't need a month to remember them.
They deserve a whole damn year.
You should be thinking of all the people who died, all the people who where beaten, all the people who cried over a lost child because someone took them away because they where black.

I am disgusted that you can think of these people and not care about them.
Just disgusted.
xThe Goblin Queenx

Emmit Till was a 14 year old boy. In 1955 on August 28th, he was kidnapped and and beaten with a pistol, then his attackers tied him up and shot him in the head. After he was dead they tied him to a 70 pound fan and threw him in the river.

In 2001 Raynard Johnson a 17 year old black male as hung from a tree for whistling at a white girl.

In 2009 58 hate crimes took place. One third of them were targeted at black people.

My mother is of mixed races, when she was pregnant with me she used to pray, that I wouldn't look like her so I would never have to feel the pain she did.
Can you imagine praying your child doesn't look like you? Because you've suffered because of you're skin colour?

How can you look at all the people who have suffered and say that we don't need a month to remember them.
You should be thinking of all the people who died, all the people who where beaten, all the people who cried over a lost child because someone took them away because they where black.

Just disgusted.

Perhaps you've heard of the Native Americans? Probably not, because they were subject to near genocide.
Salvatore Graziano
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

Perhaps you've heard of the Native Americans? Probably not, because they were subject to near genocide.

Actually I'm fairly well educated on the Natives and the residential schools they were sent to, to be 'Christianized'. And how they were beaten and raped and weren't allowed to embrace their culture. And still live in extreme poverty.
Don't assume that because I feel that we should remember what the black people went through means that I don't care about other races that suffered.
xThe Goblin Queenx
Salvatore Graziano
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

Actually I'm fairly well educated on the Natives and the residential schools they were sent to, to be 'Christianized'. And how they were beaten and raped and weren't allowed to embrace their culture. And still live in extreme poverty.
Don't assume that because I feel that we should remember what the black people went through means that I don't care about other races that suffered.

Nowhere was I suggesting you don't care about other races that have suffered, just making sure those who have suffered infinitely more are not overlooked. (:
I too am sickened...... I got the flu sad

Dangerous Visionary

Trolls are gonna to destroy the internet with their collective stupidity and lack of utter respect. However the sick irony or Karma rather is that they will also end up getting trolled after it all.

Dangerous Visionary

xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

Because they are disgusting people in this world. I mean to even make all these stupid threads for LULZ or just because is just stupid,

Azaurmyth's Wife

Batty Splicer

Salvatore Graziano
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

So were Australian Aboriginals. The Aboriginal population in Tasmania was wiped out.

Devoted Werewolf

7,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
Those who have been oppressed are often overlooked or and their trials shoved under the carpet by their oppressors. If you're the person screeching that black history month should be done away with I wonder what category you get put under?

Plenty of races have suffered, including some whites, in the past. Each and every damn one should be respected for the what they faced in the past and what they face now. I wish there was a way for all who have suffered to have a special time to honor them. Let's take the time to honor them regardless of what month it is.

**Troll at your own risk. I fight back.**

Gracious Phantom

9,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

I agree with you that all those people who were treated horribly should be remembered. However that isn't what Black History Month is about. It's about the incredible contributions that Black people have made towards America and all the good they brought. Personally I believe that there shouldn't be a Black History Month, rather that the history became integrated into what is taught in school. This whole idea of Black history, White history, Hispanic history, etc being segregated is ridiculous. At the end of the day America is a mix of all these races so it's all American history.

While the vile truths of the past can't be forgotten they mustn't be dwelled on either. It just causes so much poison and hatred that can never be gotten rid of. The hatred and resentment passes from generation to generation, so where will it end? I'm referring to all Americans, whatever race, colour or creed.

Tipsy Noob

7,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
i thought black history month was to celebrate and learn about the dark chapters in white history. xd

stop living in the past and look at what you can do for the future, a few more dead people( does'nt matter what colour) makes the world a brighter place

Rainbow Ladykiller

I agree that there shouldn't be just one month, this should be remembered all year. You shouldn't need one month to remind everyone of all the good things they've done and all the bad that's been done to them. People should be aware of it all year. Black history should be taught in schools, it shouldn't be held in just one month of the year.

Invisible Player

1tty bitty kitty
I agree that there shouldn't be just one month, this should be remembered all year. You shouldn't need one month to remind everyone of all the good things they've done and all the bad that's been done to them. People should be aware of it all year. Black history should be taught in schools, it shouldn't be held in just one month of the year.

I agree. Unfortunately it is hard to work in certain black history and other specific history figures into text books, without just including them in a little blurb on the side of a chapter. I mean, where do you put in Jesse Owens, Bessie Coleman, Mary Bethune? Most history books are only organized in the guise of a timeline. Really, they are organized into events chronologically. When an important figures accomplishment doesn't fit into that specific event, they are usually tacked on at the end or in the margin of the chapter. Your book ends up covering major events with a special chapter for Civil Rights, slavery, etc...and those other figures that don't fit are left only as captions or not covered at all.

Teachers have to supplement a lot if they want to cover other figures that don't necessarily fit into the book. I believe Black history month, along with the other months, are here to remind people and teachers that history can't fit into a single textbook. There are notable people that we believe may not have changed history to the degree that the Civil War did, but they need to be acknowledged for what they did to music, sports, or for just being amazing.
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

That is just sad for one. And two people don't ever see the beauty in anything anymore.We may all have a different color but in the end we are all the same and we are all very equal to one another.

9,225 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
harleyquinn_vixen
xThe Goblin Queenx

Just disgusted.

That is just sad for one. And two people don't ever see the beauty in anything anymore.We may all have a different color but in the end we are all the same and we are all very equal to one another.

It is sad . People can not only be cruel but they can be just plain heartless.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff