Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Kitten

8,525 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
User Image

Izora Caudelz
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐☠‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

She didn't like it. Othin helping the man with three bodies that stood in front of them. His son. Her attention went back to the man with the cane when he told her to take good care of Othin. She bared her teeth almost giving a small growl. Keeping her eyes on him, she shifted so Othin was now leaning on her arms instead of her back.
She looked at his son and spoke. "So if you keep this Thaddeus from finding him, that means he can rest this body correct?" She said as she felt this bones in her hands. She wondered how his frail body could keep going. Running on nothing but will power it seemed. "As you can see, he needs to satisfy mortal needs in order to survive and in the end, help you." She said the last words slightly with venom in her tone.
She honestly didn't really know much of what was going on but her curiosity for Othin's soul, kept her by his side. Until she found out exactly what she was so curious about, she'd help him in anyway. Afterwards, who was to say.
Izora narrowed her eyes at the man with the cane. She still didn't trust him. She could sense something was afoot. The vampire would have to be on her toes when ever he was around and she had a feeling it was going to be a lot more then she would really like.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐☠‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

irishwriter

Darfen Makuro

Loyal Conversationalist

Thaddeus D. Argon & Arden

Out of your league, deadman.

"It is said that we are the instruments of our own downfall."

- Daniel Jorweg

Mood piece: Quiet morning.
The ruckus going on in the guest room had attracted Rufus’ attention, bringing the old blacksmith to check on what in the world was going on. “What in the blazes is -”. As he poked his head into the room, he narrowly managed to duck under the wooden bowl flying at him. As the bowl smacked against the door frame, Arden covered her mouth and gasped in surprise - before starting a rain of apologies. Before Rufus had come in, she had been using the bowl as a blunt force instrument to rain blows against the old man who had been sitting beside her bed. It was in the heat of the moment and frustration towards the old man’s jesting, she had lashed out without thought - thinking it was Thaddeus who came into the room.

“I’m sorry Rufus! I didn’t mean to, I swear! I thought you were someone else. Thank god am I glad to see someone familiar, please tell me you can shed some sense into this insanity. Where’s Othin! What happened to my legs, how did I end up in here!”, she was again at the verge of bursting into tears. Out of happiness to see someone she could recognize and trust, or because she thought there were no answers to be had - no matter who she asked. However the old blacksmith walked up to her bed, sitting beside her as he placed his arm around her and stroked her head gently.

“Calm down for a moment, sheesh. I’ll tell you what I know once you’ve calmed down a bit and gotten something onto you. Oi, you - old man. Get out of here for now, let the lady dress up in peace.”

It took awhile for her to gather her composure again, but soon after it she managed to get dressed in the clothes provided by the smith. Even as she kept inquiring about everything, Rufus kept insisting she’d need to be at the dinner table and eating to gather her strength before he’d say anything. It almost felt like something was being kept from her on purpose, or that perhaps Rufus thought she was being too delirious to comprehend. It didn’t stop her from throwing questions left and right, even as the old smith carried her through the workshop to his living quarters - which only raised more questions.

The workshop was a complete mess. Walls had holes or were completely torn down, as well as most of his equipment was trashed or thrown around and stuck to the walls in impossible ways. More things that made no sense at all.
“Rufus, what is going on? Why aren’t you being straight with me. Where’s Othin?”

“First of, Othin didn’t come with you. Don’t know why - your boyfriend and his creep of a teacher told me a thing or two. Secondly, what is going on is that I want to make sure that no one of your boyfriend’s little freakshow caravan is listening on us.”

“Boyfriend? What on earth are you - eh, don’t tell my you mean Thaddeus… He is not my boyfriend, just my - partner… But what do you mean Othin didn’t come with us? Did he not bring us here?”

“No. You and your boyfriend were brought in by two strangers in dark, other one wearing an odd white mask - other had his face covered. Strange fellows, left as soon as they dropped you off. The two of you were beat to shite, it is a miracle you are even alive. The both of you, really.”

“He’s not… Nevermind, what happened to us? Because I cannot recall a damn thing and it feels like i’ve been trampled by a herd of hopantas.”

“What I was told was that you fought a fellow named Mathias, got your asses royally handed to yourselves. After that you flew for a day or two until your dragon crash landed against the city wall and took down good portion of it and few ballistae. After which I presume the two strangers picked you two off the street and brought you in here…”

“A dragon… Kzald… Mathias… Oh god, Othin is in danger!”

“Woah, calm down. You aren’t going anywhere in that condition.”

“God damn it Rufus! I must go to help him, he’s hopeless without me!”

“I still need to do some fixing on you until you are okay to leave. Besides if you leave in that shape, I do not know or want to find out what your boyfriend does to me. The instant he came to it, he sprung up alive in my workshop - roaring bloody murder and raging at me to fix you up. Told me he’d pay anything for it, even got several bounties and more than I’d even dream to ask on fixing you.”

“..... He really asked you to do that and went to those lengths?...”

“Yeah, was really adamant about it even…. Though he tore the workshop nearly apart when that old creep showed up, claimed he was his teacher. But I tell you, you need to be more careful with whom you move with - your friend is a monster in disguise.”

“Thaddeus? He is strange, but wouldn’t call him that.”

Loyal Conversationalist

Mini event close to the rebel encampment.

Stukov sat by the cave entrance, resting his back against a wall and blew out a faint cloud of smoke. The small pipe warmed his palm gently, smoke he inhaled from it made the cold of the rain outside slowly fade. As he exhaled another faint cloud, his only escape from the dreadfulness of the situation were his distant plans and memories – memories of warmth and comfort. Sitting beside a fireplace at a local tavern, filling his mouth with a mead that he already had forgotten the taste of and longed to remember once again. It accompanied by memories of his old fallen comrades, who would sit by his table and share stories, gave him the escape he craved.

As he kept drowning deeper and deeper into his little fantasy, soft hum escaped his parted lips that waited for the pipe. It soon took a life of its own, striding into a silent song that the man could recite by heart – a lullaby his mother sang to him and his brother. Slowly a tear trailed down his cheek, one of longing and loss.

“What are you singing, Sir?”

John managed to startle the old veteran with his question, who quickly brushed the side of his face and stuffed the pipe into his mouth. As yet another long silence began to creep in, John sat down beside the man and watched the rain with him. Stukov fiddled a small medallion in his other hand, which caught the attention of his young companion.

“A grey wolf? If you don't mind me asking, what does it stand for?”

Only answer he got was a cloud of smoke and the man stuffing the medallion into his pouch. Despite not seeing Stukov's face completely due to his cloak, John knew that he had been given the usual condemning look.

“Who gave it to you?”

“What does it matter?”

“It is interesting, because I didn't think you as a man for something sentimental like that..”

The man sighed deeply, before shrugging the question off and returning to his pipe.

“Would you mind telling me the song at least?”

“It has no name, it is just a lullaby from my home village, something my mother sang to me and my brother.”

“Oh… What is it about? It didn’t seem to be in common?...”

“How a mother worries for her child and will always be there for him, even when he becomes a great warrior..”

“What is that language you sang it in?”

“It is a long forgotten language of the forsaken little village I came from, isolated from rest of the world behind God’s back…”

“Does it have a name? What about the village?”

“Neither have names anymore, because neither exist anymore.”

“But you still speak it? And I guess your brother does as well - is he a soldier as well?”

“My brother died when he was six…”

“I’m sorry..”

“About what? You didn’t know…”

“...What happened to your brother?....”

“The rebels happened.”

“What do you mean?...”

Stukov finally grew tired of the endless barrage of questions and turned towards the child with a stern and annoyed stare. Tapping the pipe against his knee for a moment, he fixed his position to tell the whole tale loud and clear. This was one of the reasons he did not really care for children one bit, always asking and asking - never satisfied with a simple answer.

“The village I hail from is called Seryy Volchitsa, or as you’d call it “Grey wolf”. What isolated us from the outside world was our belief in a large grey wolf that prowled the forest, guarding it and our village. We feared and respected the forest because of that belief. Only the shaman was allowed to move freely and commune with the guardian spirit of the forest - which is why he was the only one who knew about the outside world. We could hunt only when allowed and even then it was a ritual rather than a hunt. Everything else was just farming.

I was born into that town with my brother, soon after his birth our father just up and disappeared. The shaman claimed the grey wolf had taken him for his hubris, but I think he just ran off after getting bored of that small town. Cannot blame him for that. I was eight when the first outsiders appeared into our town. A group of rebels seeking refuge and resources, so down on their luck that they had accidentally wandered into our village through the forest.

Our leader gave them refuge as long as they promised to respect the guardian spirit, despite the shaman being reluctant to let them stay. Perhaps for a good reason, since several of the rebels were mages - mages that the kingdom wanted dealt with permanently.

It took three days for the Army to arrive and with them, they brought nothing but hell fire. They bombarded mercilessly the village, especially the rebel encampment, before charging in and slaughtering them to the last. My mother and I ran into the forest, escaping just barely the bombardment, since we had been on the field. My younger brother had been playing around the house and as the hell broke loose, thought it was best to hide behind a pile of firewood - because that is where we finally found him in the days after. The pile had been knocked over by something during all the chaos and crumbled onto him. He died there and alone, without understanding even why. That is what happened….”

“I’m sorry….”

“Why? How could you have known?....”

Loyal Conversationalist

Mathias

Enigmatic as always

- Daniel Jorweg

Mathias had began to make his departure as Othin finally addressed him, only his statement about his brother and the taboo made him halt. His shoulders dropped with a heavy sigh, before he turned half-way on his heels to face his father once more. It was also when Izora stepped back into the conversation, resting the old fool against her and adding her thoughts into the situation. All he could do in response was to chuckle softly and stroke his forehead a little bit.

"I have had no interest in Thaddeus since the beginning, he was merely something I feared could bring great harm to you - Father. As previously stated, the drake is disarmed and incapable of being a threat to anyone anymore. Even for such a creature it would take a miracle to recover in time to because a notable threat to even that old sleepy fool."

With a wave of his hand, he commanded the two others of himself to leave, who did so with a respectful bow before fading into the mist. He than turned around to leave, before looking over his shoulder once more for a moment with a warm smile. "I am fully aware that it is pointless for me to do anything to your brother, but unlike you - I know there are means outside of violence and destruction to deal with situations. Those should always be reserved as the last, not the first resolve.", he stated calmly.

"And what I truly want, can never be achieved anymore. You made sure of that already....", with that the man vanished into the mist that soon began to disperse. The sounds of the wagon re-emerged from behind them in the instant the last of the dark mist was gone.

"Would you do what had to be done, in order to save everything you loved? Even if you knew you would become the villain..

-Mathias

--raphael_kitten--

irishwriter

Sanutamar's King

Shadowy Hunter

14,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
◢ ◕ ◣
╔════════════╗
◄ ◐ ◑ℒȉoɍҽn Ȉsħaқu ◐ ◑ ►
╚════════════╝
◥ ◕ ◤

User Image

Lioren waited as Willow thought on his question. It was something that he wished to know since he hadn't heard of it before. Actually, he didn't really know why those two were close without being at each other's throats. Lioren never thought they could be of the same side, but that could have been his own assumptions considering that he had some of the same thoughts as Sai would have. He shook his head mentally, but stopped when he heard a certain phrase come out of her mouth. The Arts of Cassandra. The art of Necromancy. It was a type of magic that no demon would forget. It was something that only a few knew how to use, but every single one knew of it. Lioren was no exception. He knew of the legend behind the elf and the type of magic that she used. He had forgotten that Cassandra was also of the witch blood, so that Willow would know of this art as well. His own teachings of Necromancy was only snippets of what the truest of lessons could be. Lioren had a bit more admiration for this woman.

Her hand on his cheek brought him back from the space he had just went to. His mind had wandered. There were still more that she couldn't tell him, but that was fine with him. At least for now. Lioren wanted to know more, but knew that she would tell him as time went on. His only thoughts were to what Daniel needed with that Art in this state of world. Before he would think too much into what she had said, the demon lord took her hand and kissed it lightly. He was about to lean in to her when something shocked him into an uneasiness. His eyes flashed for a moment and his other hand went to his mind. A strong and strange presence had fallen upon him. He reached out for a moment and it seemed that Alana had come across something that could ruin his plans. "It seems that another being has come into the hands of the Shuhei's. Alana has made contact with someone else that could come in between of my plans with Sai. I just need a little more time before I can end my contract with him..." He stated quietly.

Lioren had placed a tracer inside of both Kira and Kai without them knowing of it. The reason for the two was that Kira would never leave Sai's side and the same with Kai and Alana. Especially now that the two of them were bonded by other means as well as just the normal contract. He wanted to know everything that was happening with either party. But this new appearance pushed against his connection. It was stronger than he currently was, but soon, that would all change.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Dedicated Lunatic

User Image
tin

I'm gazing upward, a world I can't embrace
I'm begging for forgiveness, everything I've done
It's all so wrong

If this is to end in fire

Othin almost yelped when Izora moved and was now being held up by her arms and not her back. A flash of pain went across his face which could have easily been mistaken for his aching body and not the emotions he was feeling. Ah, he really wanted to tell him, really wanted to let him know but then again it was for the best right now. Othin had buried that feeling so deep and right now it was a very raw emotion. Only Jaddeth knew, that was his only comfort at this time despite his brother being pissed off at him.

He doubted Mathias would listen to him anyways of what he also tried to do. He watched Mathias disappear and loosed out a sigh, he needed to keep moving. Mathias might think he could negotiate with Jaddeth but that was not an option, his brother hated those that used her powers. Despised them and punished them and not because he hated the woman who created those spells but because he was jealous of those that touched it because it was like touching her. ".....Lets go," Othin said as he was about to walk but that little respite had been a death trap really because his legs gave out. He gasped in pain and even though the darkness threatened to consume him, he stayed conscious. No, no, no, no, not right now. Please, just a little while longer, until I can think of something. Until I can negotiate with him.

ploɔ ǝuoƃ llɐ s,ʇI
suıǝʌ ʎɯ uı ɯouǝʌ 'sɹǝʇuılds puɐ suɹoɥʇ ʎluo s,ǝɹǝɥ
ɹǝʇuıʍ ssǝlpuǝ uɐ s,ʇɹɐǝɥ ʎW

ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ǝuıʍ ɟo ssɐlƃ ɐ ǝsıɐ

Dedicated Lunatic

ωilloω Eiza Grєy

User ImageUser Image

Willow let out a hiss of annoyance when hearing about that woman. The little b***h was starting to annoy her even more. She had just the thing though to help, though it was a last resort. She opened a drawer to her desk and took out a gem that seemed to pulse inside. She let it roll out of her palm and on to the table where it clunked. The feeling of this gem was an awful one but it served a purpose. "Took me a good long time to find this," she said, "give it to Sai and this will stop that nosy little wench from stopping our plans. The others will not think anything of it if you tell them that I had a vision of a girl who needs this for her own safety. Considering how I have made myself clear of protecting these girls, they will think nothing of it." The gem had been kept by the Elves since they could not destroy it but Willow had managed to steal it from them.

A gem that Cassandra cursed when a queen had tried to trick her. The curse brought bad luck and could snap the strings that were attached magically to Sai and Lioren in such a way that would cause Lioren to come on top. "Do not keep it on your skin for too long," she warned as she leaned back in her chair, "the boy will need to have it in his possession for an hour and a trip to Lyth is a good two even with his powers." A wicked smile came on her face when she thought of what havoc this gem would create for Sai before he could even reach his destination.

Obsessive Lover

12,600 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image

Marina Reganok

Welcome to the✗nightmare✗ in my head
✄Say hello to something scary
The ☠monster☠ in your bed just give in and you won't be sorry

███████████ ███████████ █████████ ███████████ ███████████

Marina followed Qrow out as soon as the meeting was done. They needed to meet up with Kuren now and figure out what was what on his end after all. The werewolf did still sense that something was out of place, especially when she noticed only one of his swords, even after he had gone to presumably get the other one, and returned still without it. She was clearly worried and wanted to ask him about that, but there simply wasn't enough time at the moment. They had reached Kuren, and before even that a scent of wolf had hit her rather unexpectedly.

The killing intent coming from the female was enough to cause her to move forward a bit, intent on protecting and aiding Kuren, but Qrow got there before she could do anything. She let out a sigh as he stopped things, even as she continued forward, watching the fellow werewolf rather closely. For
                                                                now, she wasn't sure what to make of her and Kuren had some explaining to do.

Rhoades....yes, Marina had heard the clan name before, when she had joined the Kingdom's army training. And of course, from her father's brash curses about such 'codependent,' 'weakling' werewolves. It wasn't her personal views, at least, not anymore, but he had a thing against packs and so did her mother, despite being from one before their marriage and mating. Anyway, she wanted to hear what she had to say first off, then make any sort of input. Once she was completely done, she finally spoke up, glancing slightly at Qrow. "She speaks truth about their customs, as far as I know. But I wouldn't bet on that being the last of them. Mental connection or not. My father kept us away from groups due to his nature, but if any of them have half the tracking sense that he had then they could still manage to get close.." she stated. It was then, she realized, that she had referred to her father in the past tense. That might be a bit of a hint to Kuren that he was no longer around. After all, Marina hadn't told him what happened. Nobody knew, aside from Sai, and damn him for knowing it.

Sanutamar's King

Shadowy Hunter

14,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
User Image
◢ ◕ ◣
╔════════════╗
◄ ◐ ◑ ℚrow ℜeed ◐ ◑ ►
╚════════════╝
◥ ◕ ◤

Bound at every limb by my shackles of ғ є α я
Sealed with ℓ ι є s through so many tears
ℓ o s т from within and persuing the end
I fight for the chance to be lied to α ɢ α ι и...

Qrow's appearance in the fight between Kuren and Juliana was enough to shoo away the wandering eyes on the battle. If he was there, and meeting someone that they didn't know about, it was business. As the soldiers slowly walked off and went back to what they were supposed to be doing, Qrow was listening intently on what was being said. When Juliana had stated something about a mental connection being cut off, he glanced over to Kuren with an amused and questionable look. He knew two ways of that happening, and since this woman was never with them before, or trained with the Rouges before, it had to be the latter. Kuren had caught this glance and looked away for a moment. "That's rather interesting..." He thought to himself. If Marina caught that glance, he would have to answer her about it at a later time. It would be interesting to hear her side of thoughts.

Speaking of Marina...Once Juliana finally finished speaking, Marina stated a few things. First off, Juliana could have picked up that Marina is also from the Kingdom turned Rebellion. Second, the connecting split did have him worried. He would have to double the perimeter watch for a while. If they were to be attacked, he needed to know that they would be okay. Of course, his blade was a different story. His mind still hadn't forgotten. If anything, Qrow was going to go search for it, whether it be inside or outside of the Fortress.

As Qrow's mind wandered, Kuren picked up on a certain hint from Marina about her father and would have to ask about that later. He knew that there was something wrong with Qrow though. His mind seemed to be elsewhere, even when acting in command of this whole thing. Yes, Kuren knew the truth. Even if he wasn't technically leading the Rebellion, Kuren was only going to follow his orders. He glanced over to Juliana and then back at Qrow. "The connection that she had has severed is by my doing. If anything slips by, I believe that either myself, or one of the others on the watch, will take them down." He stated firmly. Kuren took his work seriously. "The only question I have left....Well, I believe it's going to be answered quite soon." He stated, adding that on at the end to grab Qrow's attention once again. The vampire was going to have to talk to him again after all of this of course.

Qrow was thankful for the reintroduction into the conversation. His mind was elsewhere, but it wasn't too easy to read. "Well...With everything else aside, I believe that you have the right to join which ever side that you please. But since you are new, I would like you to be partnered with Kuren for the time being...Until we can assess where your permanent placing.." He stated. "Do you have any questions for me before I send you two on your way? I believe Kuren will show you around and see to his duties after this.."

But through my tears breaks a blinding ℓ ι ɢ н т
Birthing a ∂ α ω и to this endless night
Arms outstretched, awaiting
м є
An
o ρ є и embrace upon a bleeding tree

User Image

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Romantic Kitten

8,525 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
User Image
User Image

User Image

The werewolf took a moment to think of any questions. Off the top of her she apparently didn't have any. "At the moment I don't have any." She said as she then bowed to Qrow. If any questions that arose, she was sure Kuren to answer or she could always ask Qrow at a later time. "Thank you for allowing me to join the Rebellion." Juliana then looked at all three of them with a genuine smile on her face. It had honestly been a long while since she smiled.
Juliana looked at Marina who stood next to Qrow. The werewolf did vouch for her when she explained herself which she was thankful for but she had no idea what clan she came from. Her scent was unfamiliar to her. And with her being part of the kingdom would that make her reluctant to trust her? Only time would reveal her position on the matter really, which Juliana hoped it would soon.
Juliana's attention then went to Kuren. "So where next on the tour?" She asked crossing her arms. A small part of her wanted to be alone with Kuren to ask him about her telepathy. She wondered when and how she would once again gain control of her power.
User Image

Haseo Gentsu

Loyal Conversationalist

- Daniel Jorweg

Rufus turned his attention from the kettle, throwing a solemn glare to the woman at her statement. Before returning to his intentions of boiling coffee, he had a strangely disappointed look in his eyes - as if he knew something more than she did. "Listen to me Arden, even if just this once in my god-forsaken life. That man is nothing, but a harbinger of trouble. He isn't a good man...."

"Rufus, he has helped me in protecting Othin and trying to save the world from a madman. I have hard time believing your claims.."

Rufus' shoulders dropped as he sighed after which he brushed his dreadlocks and jewelry mixed into them back as he turned around. Folding his arms across his chest and leaning against the barely standing kitchen table with an expressing of aggravation.

"He killed a man the instant you had crash landed here."

"What?"

"Granted it was one of the bigger thugs of Laesh' group, trying to rob him and get the info on the dragon's treasure. I heard he crushed his head like it was a grape bare handed, just wrapped his fingers around the man's head and - pop!"

"...."

"After his master arrived here, he went straight at him. Tried to kill him, all that mess back there - it was all him going after that old man. It would terrify me to be here, if it wasn't for the old creep. He took him out with a single punch, several times actually. Each time he lashed out, he'd be knocked out for hours only to get up again and start rampaging."

"He is just trying to deal with his anger, it is n-"

"He has been in Bubastis before - that man is the Grinning Butcher! You have been with the biggest monster that Bubastis has seen among all of its criminals!"

"The Butcher was here over 60 years ago and they found out he was one human.... doctor... It can't be..."

"Arden, if you do not believe me. I will take you to his clinic and you can see the truth for yourself."

"His clinic? It still stand?"

"He wasn't just a doctor, he was a man who dealt in lifting curses and hexes as well as murder. People who have tried to loot the place have never returned according to some - you know how superstitious people are."

Loyal Conversationalist

- Daniel Jorweg

”Where'd you get this thing?”

”The chair? My old man made it for 'Grinny' way back when, never got to deliver it because the bugger took off... Shows that the old man knew a thing or two about his craft as well as some woodcraft – never imagined I'd use it for what it was intended.”

”But that was sixty years ago, didn't know you to be the sentimental type to hold onto a chair with two wheels on it.”

”I found use for it every once it a while, like I said – never knew I'd use for its actual purpose. Well, maybe when I'd grow older or piss off the wrong person.”

”What use could you – on second hand, I rather not know.... Knowing you it has something to do with your usual womanizing...”

”Pff, you think low of me.... But accurate...”

”And you're making me sit in this thing!”

”Beggars can't be choosers.”

Arden and Rufus finally arrived to the edge of the slums that had been mostly abandoned even by those without home or shelter. Everything was in state of decay and ruination, almost like a battle had raged through the small portion of the large desert city – all because of a single building in middle of it all. Wind and sand had molded the unattended buildings into new shapes, yet strangely the old infirmary was still standing mostly. Reason might have been the other buildings surrounding it tightly and sheltering it from time and weather, yet time had not left it untouched.

Rufus kept shoving the wheel chair forth through the sand covered pavement, before halting before the building and sighed as if having found a long lost treasure. “Here we are, the doctor's office – brings back old memories. Heh, he used to buy fruit and hand it out to kids that were running around. Appearances certainly are deceiving.”, he exclaimed to himself as he forced the door open. Curiosity had taken the better of Arden and the statement nearly flew past her as she waited to see what was inside that Rufus so wanted to show her. She was still skeptical towards his claims, but she had known him long as her personal smith.

“I reiterate, it isn't like you to be sentimental. I thought you were more towards going after something and then discarding after it had fulfilled your momentary desires.”, Arden glanced around the room as Rufus lifted her through the door that was far too narrow to fit the chair. “And you are less explosive, extravagant and noisy than you usually are – situation seems to be having an affect on the both of us.”, Rufus muttered as he rested Arden down onto a desk. It creaked under the weight of her and its own old age, but managed to hold her for now.

Around them opened the reception room, with a small desk and shelves that must have been filled with potions, herbs and ingredients at one point in their history. The wall between reception and infirmary had partially collapsed and revealed a wide space where beds must have once been for those under the doctor's treatment. Dust and sand covered most of the surfaces and bed frames or what remained of them, much like they covered everything else in the building. As she was eyeing the interior and wondering about the true dark history and secrets it held, Rufus had vanished for a brief moment. It was the sudden bang of him dropping something covered in a sheet onto the floor and cursing that drew Arden's attention to him entering the room from a different door.

“Where'd you go off to? Is that what you wanted to show me?”

“Yeah, I recalled him having something like this here since one artist that used to live on the street painted it for him.”

“Wait, a painting? I can hardly believe that a painting would have lasted here in any sensible condition not to mention not get looted.”

“Yeah, but who would want a painting of a lunatic – no matter who painted it. The artist paid himself sick due to admiration towards the doctor, he used to be rather loved by those around here. He used paints, brushes and canvas enchanted with magic to make them last. Though it only has made it a bit more durable.”

“Well then, if you say so – thought I find that hard to believe. Why would you waste money making a painting that expensive for someone like the doctor.”

“Because he was a good man before the ugly truth was revealed. It might sound corny, but he almost looked like a saint in comparison to most others that the city held. And before that his smile was known as a source of comfort and warmth, kindness – after the truth it was one of horror and dread.”

Rufus finally lifted the large frame against a chair across Arden, before pulling off the sheet, revealing to her amazement something extremely familiar. On the slightly faded canvas was a perfect painting of Thaddeus, staring straight at her with those bizarre eyes of different color – with he usual goofy, yet kind smile on his face. It was hard to believe at first, but then again the man had claimed to be old and was also a mystery as he claimed to be something no one had ever head about.

“That sure is him, though he has lost a lot of muscle – though he knows how to hide it with his strange dance.”

“So you believe me now?”

“I guess I sort of have to. But it still doesn't damn him, he has helped me and Othin – even going to the point of self harm with it.”

“Sounds like what he was before the truth came out. But there is something I need to tell you, something I overheard him and his teacher argue about when he was watching over you one night.”

“What? That it isn't right to watch people in their sleep?”, in truth the idea of someone watching over her irked her quite a bit. Especially if it was the old man that had been there when she woke up.

“No...”

“Well come on, tell me what it is since you started to.”

“Ehm... Yeesh, How'd I put this lightly....”

Rufus was clearly uncomfortable with what he was about to say, he squirmed on his spot for the longest time. Ruffling his hair around, before brushing it away from his face and then ruffling it again. Stepping back and forth, he was trying to find the correct words for something that he clearly knew would upset the woman in one way or another – or at the very least cause some form of a scene. It began to drag long enough to make Arden impatient and call out to him.

“Rufus! Tell me what it was that you wanted me to hear then?”

“He pierced Othin's chest with you when you were fighting that Mathias guy.”

In the instant he said that, the heat of the desert seemed to vanish from the room. The woman he stared at lost even the slightest of cheer on her face and stared at him with a dreadfully blank expression. But he knew that expression, when ever someone had harmed or almost harmed Othin it appeared. He had only seen it twice and neither of those times the end result was anything good.

“I was hoping he'd tell it to you himself, but I doubte-”

“Take me back..”

“...”

“Take me back there, this instant.”

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items