Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Informer

Cheshire: Pixar knows how to make a good film. (pretends Cars 2 never happened). I am a bit disappointed that a Monsters Inc. sequel is coming out. I always preferred that they stick to originals.

Edit: Langwell: I only wear pants, but we get some really intense humidity coupled with extreme heat. It fried my laptop a few years ago after we went for almost a week with temperatures over 40.

I swear, my granddad would clip me over the back of the ear if I started doing that, especially after having seen that movie.
Another fun thing to check out in tandem with that is the Stanford Prison Experiment. I love analysing that. Zimbardo is a crazy amazing social scientist. Some Brit channel redid it once. That was awesome. There was a burly Scouser in that. He owned the joint.

Tipsy Darling

You know, Cars 2 wasn't downright horrible. I agree it wasn't as good as the original but honestly you can't really go wrong with pixar.

Aged Informer

Pixar and Marvel are the only things keeping Disney afloat now, I swear. I'm still hanging out for a Disney/Marvel crossover movie.

Bowie Tie's Bae

Tipsy Conversationalist

Oh, Celsius... how weird you are... Haha. Fahrenheit for everything but science, so it took my brain a second to realize "Hey, that's supposed to be something impressively hot..."

That's funny-- my professor got a kick out of it when we did it. It meant we were actually paying attention.
            That same year I was in Intro Psych and the second study we studied was the Stanford Prison Experiment (the first was Milgram at Yale, with the electricity & stooge/confederate). I thought they'd never allow another trial of that because it was so unethical; that also scared me. I didn't know about the re-creation.

Humanity scares me. Quite a bit.
            -nodnod-

EDIT:
            Disney nut right here... I can't really criticize. I know that Disney and Pixar aren't synonymous, but... they kinda are. I haven't seen Cars 2, though. (don't hate me!)

Tipsy Darling

You know that is so true. And that would be quite the epic movie, I'm sure. I'm just looking forward to all the Avenger's films upcoming.

Aged Informer

Edit: Essay post. This always happens eventually to me in OOC.

Lady Langwell: America's the weird one. Most of the world's moved onto Celsius. We had a hilarious scenario at uni the other week where we decided to have a class outside because it our room was freezing. An American exchange student commented that it was nicer outside because it was around a hundred degrees. We all stared at him weirdly until I reminded everyone he was American. The group consisted of Germans, Ukrainians, Swedes, Dutch and obviously Aussies. We were all confused.

I watched it for my own enjoyment, may have been a different atmosphere. Still, I'd question the professor for getting a kick out of it. But, again, German v. American.
The electricity experiment was more to do with what people would do to authority. Stanford was what people do without boundaries and with power (natural evil and all that).
The re-creation was handled much better. I'm pretty sure you could find it on youTube. I watched it in a first year class (6 of my courses analysed Stanford. It's a bit ridiculous)

After years of study, looking at the lows of humanity, I've gotten kind of desensitised to it. Maybe that sounds mean =/

Cheshire: I still haven't seen the Avengers. I meant to borrow it, but I don't trust the hype. It's been hyped so much that I feel that it can now never live up to my expectations. And I finally got around to watching Thor and it was so horrible that I wondered why I spent money on it.
is sad day because I loved The Ultimates, which strongly influenced it as I understand.

Tipsy Darling

Thor was definitely not the best of the series. The Avengers however is a must see... If only for the banter provided by Stark with various characters.

Aged Informer

It's on my list of films to watch, together with about 200 others (it might actually have dropped to 200 this morning). I've been watching a new film or two or three every week since the beginning of the year, and I still have so many movies left to watch!
Saw 'Wish You Were Here' yesterday. An Aussie flick from last year. Would definitely recommend to everyone. Drama/thriller thing done amazingly.

Tipsy Darling

I did that a couple of years ago. It was fun. Now though I'm sorta just slowly making my way through what intrigues me at the time on netflix.

But anywho. I'm off to attempt to fall asleep early tonight. Goodnight everyone!

Bowie Tie's Bae

Tipsy Conversationalist

Yeah, I know America's weird. I was part of a program to earn an international diploma. All my classes were in the English way of things; I'd spell color/colour, yogurt/yoghurt, analyze/analyse, et cetera both different ways on the same exam. I dealt with the color/colour debate a lot in my Chem lab-- had to identify what color/colour something and write it down for identification.

Oh, he (the professor) wanted you to question him. Question everything-- as long as you agreed with him. I hated him. He was a semi-nice person, but, although said that he accepted all points of view, only really supported his own (very loudly proclaimed) opinions.

And I know the differences, but... yeah. They both scared the crap out of me. Milgram has been repeated countless times because it wasn't quite as unethical; Zimbardo, though... I can't imagine the re-creation. I might look it up later, if I remember tomorrow morning (or, really, later today in my time zone).

It doesn't sound mean; it sounds like you've experienced a lot. I know how that feels.

To join in with the other conversation:
            I loved Avengers. Loved it. Stark was hilarious, as always. I liked Thor (don't judge me!), but I do agree that it was the weaker one.
            Also, I'm a Whedonist. Or, I am partially. I have yet to see Firefly or Doll House, but they're on my list.
            You, Mr Cleaver, have a movie list. I have a TV show list.
            I'm slowly conquering Doctor Who (currently season 5) and Supernatural (currently season 2). I've got a few other shows on the list as well, but... TV shows are a longer commitment than a movie. Most of the time, anyway.

Night (again!) Cheshie!

Aged Informer

Cheshire: I don't think we have netflix. I'm the old school fellow keeping the video store alive by renting. Every month or so I also buy a couple of triple-play movies to support the movies I enjoyed.

Night!

Lady Langwell: I've had some pretty horrible lecturers. I know what it's like. Currently have a horrible b***h that I spend every meeting with her arguing. And then she gets pissed because I'm one of the top performers in my class. My tutor likes me too much >=D

I can't stand the ethics board now. Final year course: assist a professor with their study. The s**t the ethics board throws at you is insane. We've flipped the other way from being too lax to not lax enough.

TV shows bug me. Unless if there is only a finite amount, I'm not interested. I like to know that there will be an end in a short period of time. My brother's the opposite, though. He has more patience for series because it's 45min-60min chunks.

Sparkly Sex Symbol

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ♔ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

DISNEY IS PERFECTION! IT IS ALWAYS PERFECT! PERFECT!!
scream

Evening.
4laugh

I should be heading off to bed soon.
3nodding

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ♥ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Bowie Tie's Bae

Tipsy Conversationalist

Yeah-- but most of my professors this year are decent. All except Physics. He's got homework due on things he has yet to teach. He will teach the homework topic that day in class... yet the homework is due at the beginning of class. I'm paying to be taught, but he's telling me that everyone teaches themselves. Bullshit.
            [/not quite endrant]

I can imagine the ethics board crap. I'm not a Psych major (but it interests me so much that I'm thinkin' bout a minor), but I looked at enough studies and pried apart weaknesses enough to know that, well, there are always ethical issues.

Well then, I say to you: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (my siggy is of one of my favorite characters from that and...), Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse. Whedon is awesome.
            Dark Angel is good, too. First season is awesome, but second season is... eh.
            All have finished, although Buffy is still out in comic book form.

Doctor Who and Supernatural are ongoing, although I hear Supernatural sucks after season five. Probably going to stop/lose interest somewhere around there.

I like both movies and shows; it depends on my attention span at the moment generally. But, due to Netflix (which I have fallen in love with...), I've been watching TV shows regularly as if they were movies.
            I spent this past weekend (re)watching... probably 30ish hours of Buffy. It's a bit addicting.

Aged Informer

Disney made the Tim Burton version of Alice In Wonderland >=| But they've just released/are releasing 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green', so they deserve some love. Joel Edgerton needs as much recognition as possible.

Sparkly Sex Symbol

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ♔ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

I had a professor like that, except that it was for Physical Biochemistry.. and then for Physical Biochemistry Techniques.
He gave us homework on things he had yet to teach us, and sped through lectures at the speed of light.
Oh, and he didn't post his powerpoint lectures online, nor did he let us take pictures of crazy derivations. He didn't want us stealing/distributing his 'intellectual property'.
mad

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ♥ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas