Malevolent Warlord

16,150 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Divorced 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Chibi Halo
User Image
User Image

This is in reference to your question of why the spirits were "wacky".

The reason the spirits were corrupted was because the spiritual forests of the North and South pole had been destroyed. Tonraq admitted to destroying the forest himself in the Northern Tribe, and that is why he was banished. Unaloq probably healed that forest to a degree to where they wouldn't be plagued by rogue spirits up there. But the one in the South Pole had been destroyed for hundreds of years, ever since the Fire Nation's first attack against the South Pole. This caused the Everstorm to appear, and that preceded to remain until Korra sealed the gate up, and sort-of pacified the spirits.

Time-traveling Senshi

Ginger Nix

I know that but it can't be that simple though. When you look at the promotional stuff for this Book the problems with the spirits isn't simply resolved by punching through the ice. I get the feeling, and the Book is leading towards it, that opening that Spirit Portal is just the beginning of all the problems for Team Korra. Unalaq wanting to start a religiously based civil war in order to "cleanse" the South is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, recent episode is not winning dear uncle many points in my good graces. Frankly, his overall character is coming off kind of evil now.

Time-traveling Senshi

ChaosKnights
Yeah, recent episode is not winning dear uncle many points in my good graces. Frankly, his overall character is coming off kind of evil now.

And Korra's falling for it hook, line, and sinker because he knows how to make her feel low and lift her spirits all in the same sentence. He says he cares about the south when it's obvious from how his kids act that his family doesn't care at all. He just wants an easy way to travel between the North and South with the connecting spirit portals. He said it himself the spirits and man would be able to travel between the north and south in seconds.

God the post episode podcast is going to be interesting with the theories on that little tidbit.

Time-traveling Senshi

Big questions here guys. Do you think Unalaq is totally misinformed about what opening the Spirit Portal will do? He seems to be totally convinced that having the Spirit Portal open will bring balance to the whole world when it might do the complete opposite. He could be so wrapped up in his spiritual beliefs that he could be totally buying into something that could spell the downfall for the world as a whole.

Also, I got to thinking after reading the episode recap and insights over on Vulture.com that maybe Unalaq doesn't see what he's doing as wrong at all. Is it possible he's like the politicians of today who believe so strongly in God that they believe everything they do is in God's name and it's not wrong at all. Is it possible Unalaq doesn't see he's doing anything wrong by turning the South into a police state because he believes he's doing it in the name of the spirits?

Chibi Halo
          Big questions here guys. Do you think Unalaq is totally misinformed about what opening the Spirit Portal will do? He seems to be totally convinced that having the Spirit Portal open will bring balance to the whole world when it might do the complete opposite. He could be so wrapped up in his spiritual beliefs that he could be totally buying into something that could spell the downfall for the world as a whole.

Also, I got to thinking after reading the episode recap and insights over on Vulture.com that maybe Unalaq doesn't see what he's doing as wrong at all. Is it possible he's like the politicians of today who believe so strongly in God that they believe everything they do is in God's name and it's not wrong at all. Is it possible Unalaq doesn't see he's doing anything wrong by turning the South into a police state because he believes he's doing it in the name of the spirits?

Or possibly go even further that perhaps Unalaq is being controlled/manipulated by an evil spirit.

But if I recalled somewhere, the physical world and the spiritual world must never become one as it's too dangerous for something like that too happen as frankly they were separated for a reason.

If this is truly Unalaq own doing, he seems to be a very arrogant man who thinks everything will bend to his will just because he wants it too. But when sh*t hits the fan, he'll be the first one to be begging for help.

However Korra is someone who annoys me most at the moment with her complete lack of maturity and narcissistic behavior. Granted she's a teenager, but I'd expect better from the avatar. Frankly the abuse of her avatar state and not seeing the problem of fusing the spiritual world and material world together just rings stupidity to me.

Gracious Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
Dunno about the two being together being dangerous. neutral I mean, it was dangerous during the Solistice in Book 1, but that was only because spirits had easier access so...ok, maybe it is dangerous.
My fav 'wait, what?' line in ep. 3 was when Unalaq was all "War between the tribes would cause more dark spirits to attack because of all the negativity".
Cuz that totally happened when the Fire Nation wiped out an entire culture (Air), essentially half of another (South reduced to one Waterbender who barely had a clue what she was doing), and chipping away and Earth for 100 years. (Heh, chipping. Like you do to stone. *smacks self*). We saw so MANY dark spirits attacking the Gaang and/or Zuko, amirite? *head desk*

I suppose its supposed be foreshadowing that Unalaq is actually behind the attacks, or someone/thing else is manipulated him and the dark/light spirits. But still. rolleyes

Time-traveling Senshi

ChaosKnights
Chibi Halo

Or possibly go even further that perhaps Unalaq is being controlled/manipulated by an evil spirit.

But if I recalled somewhere, the physical world and the spiritual world must never become one as it's too dangerous for something like that too happen as frankly they were separated for a reason.

If this is truly Unalaq own doing, he seems to be a very arrogant man who thinks everything will bend to his will just because he wants it too. But when sh*t hits the fan, he'll be the first one to be begging for help.

However Korra is someone who annoys me most at the moment with her complete lack of maturity and narcissistic behavior. Granted she's a teenager, but I'd expect better from the avatar. Frankly the abuse of her avatar state and not seeing the problem of fusing the spiritual world and material world together just rings stupidity to me.

Here's the thing though, and it is food for thought on why she's so blindly following what Unalaq is telling her, nobody's really told her that bringing the spirits into the physical world is a dangerous thing. Unalaq keeps telling her that she has to bring together the two worlds in order to bring balance to the tribes and that her father and Tenzin never wanted her to do it. He keeps using the trigger words of can't and never and telling her it's for the good of the tribe, things he knows will set her off and get her trying to prove to everyone she can do it. He's pretty much playing into her stubborn nature and craving to be the center of attention because she's the Avatar. He's using her being the Avatar against her. Why else would he tell her that she's the only one who can go to the North to open the Spirit Portal when she asked him what it was they had to do next. He's trying to pass the blame for everything on to her so he can swoop in and be the savior when it all goes to s**t. He's never once been shown so far instructing her in how he does his "Spiritbending" techniques because he more than likely doesn't want to share it with her so she can fail and the tribe will turn to him.

As for abusing the Avatar State, Korra's one for flashy shortcuts and if she can get away with using them to get ahead in her training she will. It's why she did Pro Bending in the last Book and why she Avatar States her way through learning her Airbending. She's not going about things the proper way and it's showing when out of frustration she ditches Tenzin and goes with her uncle thus bring my first paragraph into play. Unalaq does the fast and flashy and she wants to do the same.

Time-traveling Senshi

Well kids my theory about Unalaq using Korra and doing what he could to get her father kicked out was pretty spot on. He was totally keeping her in his back pocket so she'd be on his side.

He paid off the barbarians, told them where to hide knowing full well what would happen, and then goes around saying he's the only one who can calm the spirits. He totally let Senna off the hook just to make himself look good in the eyes of the South. It was a total d**k move on his part. He doesn't care about the South at all. The thing that gets me is why would he say that Korra isn't the only one who can open the Spirit Portals when we all know the Avatar is the bridge between the human world and the spirits. Something must have happened in the North that Unalaq isn't telling people. I just hope Tonraq can get to Senna before Unalaq does something terrible to her.

Chibi Halo
          Well kids my theory about Unalaq using Korra and doing what he could to get her father kicked out was pretty spot on. He was totally keeping her in his back pocket so she'd be on his side.

He paid off the barbarians, told them where to hide knowing full well what would happen, and then goes around saying he's the only one who can calm the spirits. He totally let Senna off the hook just to make himself look good in the eyes of the South. It was a total d**k move on his part. He doesn't care about the South at all. The thing that gets me is why would he say that Korra isn't the only one who can open the Spirit Portals when we all know the Avatar is the bridge between the human world and the spirits. Something must have happened in the North that Unalaq isn't telling people. I just hope Tonraq can get to Senna before Unalaq does something terrible to her.

I would have to say seriously, who didn't see it a mile away that Unalaq was the bad guy!

But the question now is why?

More so, what does he have up his sleeve if he's so confident that the avatar won't curb stomp his a** all over the south pole and back again?.

But it's also important to say that the primary water spirits live in the north pole. I wonder what happened to them?

Time-traveling Senshi

ChaosKnights
Chibi Halo

I would have to say seriously, who didn't see it a mile away that Unalaq was the bad guy!

But the question now is why?

More so, what does he have up his sleeve if he's so confident that the avatar won't curb stomp his a** all over the south pole.

But it's also important to say that the primary water spirits live in the north pole. I wonder what happened to them?

The prevailing theory going around among the TV bloggers and people who do post Korra episode wrap ups and podcasts is that Unalaq is a spiritual zealot who is being lead astray by some dark and evil spirit that's really the mastermind in all of this. At least, that's been the theory for the last two weeks. It's going to be interesting to see what the guys over at the Republic City Dispatch will have to say about this week's episode and their whole Unalaq theory tomorrow.

When Unalaq said he didn't need Korra to open the Spirit Portal at the North Pole anymore that has me believing it was never closed to begin with and that it was a huge lie just to get Korra to go along with whatever it was he wanted from her. Because it sounds like he discovered something at the North Pole that is giving him the ability to control the spirits and use them for his own personal gains. Now I wonder if the attacks on the ships in the South were really because the spirits were angry with the way the South was living their lives or if it was all a part of Unalaq's grand plan.

You know that's a good question. Where is Yue and La? And for that matter will Hei-Bai show up and kick some Unalaq butt or at the very least guide Korra through the Spirit World to where she needs to go when she finally makes that transition?

Chibi Halo

The prevailing theory going around among the TV bloggers and people who do post Korra episode wrap ups and podcasts is that Unalaq is a spiritual zealot who is being lead astray by some dark and evil spirit that's really the mastermind in all of this. At least, that's been the theory for the last two weeks. It's going to be interesting to see what the guys over at the Republic City Dispatch will have to say about this week's episode and their whole Unalaq theory tomorrow.

When Unalaq said he didn't need Korra to open the Spirit Portal at the North Pole anymore that has me believing it was never closed to begin with and that it was a huge lie just to get Korra to go along with whatever it was he wanted from her. Because it sounds like he discovered something at the North Pole that is giving him the ability to control the spirits and use them for his own personal gains. Now I wonder if the attacks on the ships in the South were really because the spirits were angry with the way the South was living their lives or if it was all a part of Unalaq's grand plan.

You know that's a good question. Where is Yue and La? And for that matter will Hei-Bai show up and kick some Unalaq butt or at the very least guide Korra through the Spirit World to where she needs to go when she finally makes that transition?

it's known that there are evil spirits in the show like 'No Face' for example. So it's a possibility. However I don't ever underestimate human greed and/or jealousy.

Knowing how much of a manipulative b*****d Unalaq is, he IS somehow directly or indirectly related to it.

I'd expect to Yue and La maybe later in the series. But Hei Bai is more associated with the Earth Kingdom. But regardless if Unalaq is being manipulated or being the manipulator I just was someone to kick his a** for all the lives he had ruined all for the purpose of building a shrine to his ego.

Time-traveling Senshi

ChaosKnights
Chibi Halo

it's known that there are evil spirits in the show like 'No Face' for example. So it's a possibility. However I don't ever underestimate human greed and/or jealousy.

Knowing how much of a manipulative b*****d Unalaq is, he IS somehow directly or indirectly related to it.

I'd expect to Yue and La maybe later in the series. But Hei Bai is more associated with the Earth Kingdom. But regardless if Unalaq is being manipulated or being the manipulator I just was someone to kick his a** for all the lives he had ruined all for the purpose of building a shrine to his ego.

Makes you wonder how screwed up the North is under his rule and if he resents his brother even more for having fathered the Avatar.

Chibi Halo

Makes you wonder how screwed up the North is under his rule and if he resents his brother even more for having fathered the Avatar.

Now that is a good question.

It almost seems right from the get go Tonraq was meant for better things while Unalaq was meant to live in his shadow.

It's even represented in their physique in a stereotypical fashion of the big stronger brother in comparison to the weak looking younger brother dynamic.

I mean Tonraq was the North's protector to which the people not only followed him but respected him already. Then came the fact that since he was the eldest guaranteed him to the throne. When Unalaq stole that from him, it must have been like salt on old wounds when his child became the avatar proving in some sense he will always be better.

Man Unalaq must have some serious self-esteem problems.

Time-traveling Senshi

ChaosKnights
Chibi Halo

Now that is a good question.

It almost seems right from the get go Tonraq was meant for better things while Unalaq was meant to live in his shadow.

It's even represented in their physique in a stereotypical fashion of the big stronger brother in comparison to the weak looking younger brother dynamic.

I mean Tonraq was the North's protector to which the people not only followed him but respected him already. Then came the fact that since he was the eldest guaranteed him to the throne. When Unalaq stole that from him, it must have been like salt on old wounds when his child became the avatar proving in some sense he will always be better.

Man Unalaq must have some serious self-esteem problems.

Yeah and it shows in how his kids are so distant and detached from everything. They show a complete disdain for the South and don't really care that their father was favoring Korra over them and starting a war. They just revel in the fact that they can get people to do whatever they want, give them whatever they want, and not have anyone say no to them. They're spoiled emotionless brats and it shows in how when Bolin, possibly the first guy to say no to her, leaves the South and Eska has a near on mental breakdown resulting in that last scene. Unalaq's screwed up his family and he's screwing up the Water Tribe as a nation. My guess us that he has La on some kind of spiritual lockdown and Yue is being held against her will by rouge spirits under Unalaq's control.

Makes me wonder how the moon's been behaving in this series because as I recall when Sokka was being overprotective of Suki the moon was near on full and very bright that night and had been full for a while in that arc until Sokka was ready to admit what happened and moved on to the first girl to fall for him. Man I have to start paying attention to the nighttime shots for what the moon looks like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff