Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Senshi

Looking at the titles for Chapters 3 and 4 I was right about Unalaq.

He is starting a "religiously" based civil war.

I think by October Korra will be back with Tenzin and his family and dang it I'm going to miss the premier airing of that episode and the repeat Nicktoons airing because its my twentieth high school reunion then. Thank goodness for iTunes.
I'm going to predict right off the bat that by the end of all this, Korra's father is going to reclaim his spot as leader of the water tribe

Dapper Capitalist

I just hope he doesn't turn out to be evil all along. I'm hoping that he turns out misguided or a red-herring.

When he came in and so easily calmed down the spirits it made me think he was somehow behind the spirit attacks to fuel his own agenda, but I feel that would be too predictable. I really hope that this season it really is a much bigger issue than just one man pulling the strings.

Beloved Noob

User ImageI feel like he is the new bad guy to this >.>

It feels like he is just using Korra just because she is the Avatar and she can go deal with the "Spirit world" ALSO! that he might want to over throw his brother and make him leader of both NORTH AND SOUTH.

Time-traveling Senshi

Takeshi-Dono

It feels like he is just using Korra just because she is the Avatar and she can go deal with the "Spirit world" ALSO! that he might want to over throw his brother and make him leader of both NORTH AND SOUTH.

Well he kind of is according to some things I've read. He does keep mentioning how the North so graciously came down to the South after the war and helped them rebuild and seems to suggest the South should be so grateful to the North for doing so. He never once mentions that the last Avatar's Grandfather-in-law happened to be the master waterbending teacher for the Northern Tribe and the military adviser to the Northern Chief that proceeded Tonraq and Unalaq's family. However, we do have to consider what took place in the past before Korra was born.

Their father did throw Tonraq out of the North and took away any claims he might have had as heir to the throne after he went into the spirit forest in order to deal with those bandits that were attacking the land and totally destroyed the place. After the angry spirits came and ravaged the Northern Tribe nearly destroying it what was his father going to do? But I get the feeling Unalaq might have suggested banishment to their father. The question becomes did he suggest it because he's Mister Hardcore Fundamental Spiritualist or because he wanted the throne and saw it as his chance to get it? I kind of get the feeling it's the latter but I hope for the sake of not falling down that path for a second book it's the former and that the religious fundamentalism thing is Unalaq being all misguided and being corrupted by something he did on his path to combine traditional Northern Tribe healing techniques with spiritual energy. Because I'd actually be impressed if the guy can be saved and remains the annoying little brother that gets on his older brother's nerves because he feels he always has to butt into how his brother raises his child.

Beloved Noob

Chibi Halo
Takeshi-Dono

Well he kind of is according to some things I've read. He does keep mentioning how the North so graciously came down to the South after the war and helped them rebuild and seems to suggest the South should be so grateful to the North for doing so. He never once mentions that the last Avatar's Grandfather-in-law happened to be the master waterbending teacher for the Northern Tribe and the military adviser to the Northern Chief that proceeded Tonraq and Unalaq's family. However, we do have to consider what took place in the past before Korra was born.

Their father did throw Tonraq out of the North and took away any claims he might have had as heir to the throne after he went into the spirit forest in order to deal with those bandits that were attacking the land and totally destroyed the place. After the angry spirits came and ravaged the Northern Tribe nearly destroying it what was his father going to do? But I get the feeling Unalaq might have suggested banishment to their father. The question becomes did he suggest it because he's Mister Hardcore Fundamental Spiritualist or because he wanted the throne and saw it as his chance to get it? I kind of get the feeling it's the latter but I hope for the sake of not falling down that path for a second book it's the former and that the religious fundamentalism thing is Unalaq being all misguided and being corrupted by something he did on his path to combine traditional Northern Tribe healing techniques with spiritual energy. Because I'd actually be impressed if the guy can be saved and remains the annoying little brother that gets on his older brother's nerves because he feels he always has to butt into how his brother raises his child.

User ImageTrue x: and what's weird is that not even the the leader before was obsessed with spirit stuff >.>
Or maybe Unalaq was working with the fire benders that attacked the North and told them when they retriet they go to the spirit forest and he knew that Korra's father wouldn't just ignore them just because they are in the forest and when that happened he made him look like the bad guy and was able to banish him for doing so. mhm great mystery XD
I wish he was not so obviously evil.

Sinbbus's Wife

Sparkling Fairy

42,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Magical Girl 50
ChaosKnights
Here's something I'd actually question from the premiere.

As noted by both brothers, Korra father was banished for almost causing the destruction of the northern water tribe.

However I can't help but feel that this might have been a set up so that Korra's uncle would take over. As we saw, he has the ability to calm the spirits. But I can't help but feel that perhaps he has the opposite ability of sending them into a frenzy. It makes sense to a degree. Korra's father was meant to inherit the role of chief. If he was disgraced, the uncle would immediately be next in line to inherit the throne.

More so, it seems apparent his motives don't seem entirely altruistic or truly for peace as I don't think it requires an entire army being summoned. If you saw the episode title for next week, you know really bad sh*t is about to go down.

This is actually how I feel.

Also I'm pretty sure it was a set up because history proves that if Tonraq had caused the imbalances the result would have been instant and he and his men would probably have died from being attacked by spirits ( speaking of his men were they banished too or did they recieve some other punishment). My reason for saying history proves it is the episode where the moon spirit Tui was killed. The moon just vanishes, then La fuses with Aang and basically goes nuts. Another thing that some else mentioned was that Aang would have still been alive. In that case why didn't he get involved, unless it was not an actual imbalance thus explaining why he wasnot there. I think someone (obviously the dear Uncle) simply let out some spirits and made it look like an imbalance was created.

Sinbbus's Wife

Sparkling Fairy

42,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Creativerealms

I wish that it was obvious to all the other characters. At least Bolin caught on how he got the job Tonraq would have got.

Time-traveling Senshi

Creativerealms

After reading some post episode recaps and reviews and listening to my usual post episode podcast I'm beginning to think he might not be the mastermind behind everything. It feels a little too quick for the ultimate big bad and his whole goal to be introduced. He's still a spiritual zealot, that much is true, but he could be the puppet to the puppet master, who cold very well be an evil spirit. Azula's voice actor has said she's going to be returning as the voice of an evil spirit so we know that what happens in the South isn't going to be the entire theme of Book Two. So Unalaq just might be the secondary villain for the Book and he could either be doing what he thinks is right because of his spiritual zealot nature or because he's being controlled by one of the spirits. So the big theory floating around now is that he'll either have a complete change of pace and join up with Team Avatar as this series Guru Pathik or he'll still be the zealot he is because he believes in this stuff so much that nothing they do will get him to change his ways.

I guess you could say that he's a watered down Ozai.

Alright. I'm leaving. You don't have to call security.
l zenitsu l
I guess you could say that he's a watered down Ozai.

Alright. I'm leaving. You don't have to call security.

Feels more like a more reserved Tarlok to me, minus the blood bending.
Chibi Halo

After reading some post episode recaps and reviews and listening to my usual post episode podcast I'm beginning to think he might not be the mastermind behind everything. It feels a little too quick for the ultimate big bad and his whole goal to be introduced. He's still a spiritual zealot, that much is true, but he could be the puppet to the puppet master, who cold very well be an evil spirit. Azula's voice actor has said she's going to be returning as the voice of an evil spirit so we know that what happens in the South isn't going to be the entire theme of Book Two. So Unalaq just might be the secondary villain for the Book and he could either be doing what he thinks is right because of his spiritual zealot nature or because he's being controlled by one of the spirits. So the big theory floating around now is that he'll either have a complete change of pace and join up with Team Avatar as this series Guru Pathik or he'll still be the zealot he is because he believes in this stuff so much that nothing they do will get him to change his ways.

Perhaps as that would be too easy and predictable to right off the bat know who the main antagonist is.

But then again this could be a trick within trick in itself by the writers. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Nimble Bunny

8,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
I don't believe Unalaq is truely evil or will be the main antgonist, I think he actually believes what he is doing is the right thing. And in smaller doses it is. Like opening the spirit gate to let the aurora free, but the problem seems to be from what I saw is he wants his viewpoint to be implemented on everyone. He is one extreme while his brother was the opposite. The 2 brothers might find a balance and work together during the series, but I dont see Unalaq as evil just misguided.

Time-traveling Senshi

Et Ada
I don't believe Unalaq is truely evil or will be the main antgonist, I think he actually believes what he is doing is the right thing. And in smaller doses it is. Like opening the spirit gate to let the aurora free, but the problem seems to be from what I saw is he wants his viewpoint to be implemented on everyone. He is one extreme while his brother was the opposite. The 2 brothers might find a balance and work together during the series, but I dont see Unalaq as evil just misguided.

That's what Matt Patches and Dave Gonzales were getting at yesterday in their post episode discussion with their guest host Joanna Robinson. He's not the main antagonist and that maybe what he's doing is the result of being controlled or misguided by whatever it is out there that will be the bigger evil for the Book. Like I said earlier, he's a zealot to almost, almost, Pat Robertson degrees where he believes it's his job to spread the good spiritual word to the rest of the world and have them see spirituality the Northern Water Tribe way. Kind of like how an evangelist believes they are the chosen one to be the messenger of, not God in general, but Jesus and only Jesus. They are New Testament believing individuals who think America was founded for Jesus and that the rest of the world should be believing in their version of Christianity. It's why they are so hard pressed to have their television programs, revival meetings, and preachy missions to developing countries that have a faith so different from theirs.

That's how I'm sort of seeing Unalaq being portrayed. He's not full on spiritual evangelist but he's a lot like my cousins, a friend of mine, and my sister's brother-in-law and his wife who believe that everything they say and do is done to glorify Jesus and that it's their mission in life to change people to their way of life. It's why he criticized the festival with its carnival games and Appa prizes saying that it's because of that the South has lost any connection to the spirits and should have its balance restored by force before he does the same to the rest of the world. Either something he discovered in his studies up North has him so blinded to the fact that his way might not be the right way or whatever spirit it is he's worshiping, and I don't think it's Yue and La, has him doing their dirty work in order to enact revenge on Tonraq and the South for what happened in the Northern Spirit Forest. He's not going to be the antagonist this Book but he's certainly going to be a major thorn in Korra's side for a while.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff