Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
epicjm777
[Ren The Ryoko]
This has been driving me nuts.

Korra has been getting the brunt of this treatment since LoK started airing. I'm honestly a little disgusted by the amount of hate she has gotten for being "bitchy." It's not only inaccurate, but a high gendered way of disregarding her as a character for having traits that are traditionally applauded in men.

It's completely absurd. If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" and Bolin would be a "dumb slut."

The way that female characters are treated by fandom is disgusting, and the double standard is stagering. And it's especially insane since Bryke is SO GOOD about writing likable, empowered, interesting, fully fleshed out, varied female characters. Some series have legitly shitty writers who "Can't write women" to save their lives, and a lot of the complaints against those female characters are understandable.
But Avatar/Korra is not one of those series. At all.

It makes me afraid for when Asami joins the group.

you sound so familiar.

i can understand your distress but let's see how this anime goes. I'm liking the Legend of Korra because i love the Avatar Cycle, seeing the complete change in character, as each of the Avatars would aim to restore Balance to the world and it was their purpose.

I can understand the haters of Korra too because most of the haters have 1 quality trait in common, which is the lack of interest for certain female traits. Examples would be like women can be Assertive which is kool, but when it comes to certain circumstances like women's interest & situations that involve female talk it's quite annoying for the male haters because both men & women have something in common which is "you can't be too desperate or too cheery, you must be aloof."

Male masses have a mentality to ruin confidence for people and is also common in females, but when it comes to female personas, Men tend to get very "insulting" about it because they just don't want to know such topics about female achievements because it has been like that for awhile, it's like it lowers testosterone flow for some weird reason.

Empowerment as a trait on a female also insults men's lack of necessity, some men are needed, and guys might find it too emotional. I find Korra an interesting character. Personally because she can be the Next Avatar who has potential to surpass the glory of Aang, as well of the past female glories of Kyoshi, and Yangchen which are the female Avatars before her.

Korra lacks some Avatar Roku traits, she is an extremely prodigy developed Avatar, she just lacks the calm collected discipline, patience, and peace that Roku presented. Korra is as assertive as Aang. Korra is a powerful bender indeed, but can she be as Powerful as Kyoshi? Kyoshi is known to be the represantation of a Pioneer who developed an isolated Utopia, Kyoshi defeated Chin the conqueror (keep in mind Chin was corrupted anyway), and created Kyoshi Island. Can Korra be as Merciless as Yangchen the Air Nomdic Female Avatar? Yangchen was a Powerful bender as well but she kept Balance over the World in an accurate manner, and she even involved her self-sacrifice of her spiritual needs in order to kept balance to the world.

Let's just hope Korra does not become like the Water tribe Avatar Kuruk, who in his time was prosperous, but sadly lost his focus for keeping dedication onto his relationship instead of his Avatar duty. Let us also hope that Korra can become as kool as The Lavabending Avatar before Yangchen, who this fire nation avatar with his individuality created Lavabending. Korra should create something like Stormbending involving both Waterbending, Airbending, Firebending and Lightningbending united and coherent. THAT WOULD BE SO AWE-INSPIRING AMONG THE AVATARS!!!!!!!.......

Maybe I'm just a little sleepy right now, but I'm having a hard time following the...uh....flow of your argument.

Like I get that...you're saying that it's still very early in Korra's story to make too many judgements about how she will compare to past Avatars.

But...Could you try...restating the rest of that for me?

Greedy Capitalist

Now that I think about it, if Bolin was a girl and she ushered a male avatar in to watch her match, she would seem pretty slutty...

Especially since Bolin asked her, "So what did you think?" since a girl asking that would be viewed as an attention whore.

Just adds to the social stigma, I guess

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
iKarnezar
Now that I think about it, if Bolin was a girl and she ushered a male avatar in to watch her match, she would seem pretty slutty...

Especially since Bolin asked her, "So what did you think?" since a girl asking that would be viewed as an attention whore.

Right? Like, Girl!Bolin would face SO much hate.

A stocky, slightly chubby even girl who has a habit of bringing fanboys backstage? Who gets scolded for eating too much and thus messing up Mako's budget? Who's naive enough to think they can raise a bunch of money with little circus tricks? Who get's kidnapped in an ambush?

Imagine that character as a GIRL and think of how overwhelming to cries of "dumb, useless slut" would be, and the double standard gets highlighted in full.

Greedy Capitalist

[Ren The Ryoko]
iKarnezar

A stocky, slightly chubby even girl who has a habit of bringing fanboys backstage? Who gets scolded for eating too much and thus messing up Mako's budget? Who's naive enough to think they can raise a bunch of money with little circus tricks? Who get's kidnapped in an ambush?

Imagine that character as a GIRL and think of how overwhelming to cries of "dumb, useless slut" would be, and the double standard gets highlighted in full.

That makes so much sense it hurts gonk

Ty Lee kind of gives off that impression as well, even though she hasn't really said anything dumb.
Xiam
I have not once ever heard anyone say Toph is "bitchy," and she's very much the same as Korra. Sheltered, wanting her freedom, and yes, a bit abrasive (though Toph is perhaps moreso). And people love Toph, don't they? I honestly don't see the issue with Korra at all.

The only reason I can see why people wouldn't like her is because she's not Aang.

It's nostalgia-bullshit. Korra's awesome!

Original Humorist

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
Madame Royale
User Image

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
iKarnezar
[Ren The Ryoko]
iKarnezar

That makes so much sense it hurts gonk

Ty Lee kind of gives off that impression as well, even though she hasn't really said anything dumb.

Right?
It's a common theme. Female characters who dare show any kind of romantic interest in more than one person is a slut. Hell, sometimes even just a single love interest enough to earn that label from some fans.
[Ren The Ryoko]
epicjm777
[Ren The Ryoko]
This has been driving me nuts.

Korra has been getting the brunt of this treatment since LoK started airing. I'm honestly a little disgusted by the amount of hate she has gotten for being "bitchy." It's not only inaccurate, but a high gendered way of disregarding her as a character for having traits that are traditionally applauded in men.

It's completely absurd. If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" and Bolin would be a "dumb slut."

The way that female characters are treated by fandom is disgusting, and the double standard is stagering. And it's especially insane since Bryke is SO GOOD about writing likable, empowered, interesting, fully fleshed out, varied female characters. Some series have legitly shitty writers who "Can't write women" to save their lives, and a lot of the complaints against those female characters are understandable.
But Avatar/Korra is not one of those series. At all.

It makes me afraid for when Asami joins the group.

you sound so familiar.

i can understand your distress but let's see how this anime goes. I'm liking the Legend of Korra because i love the Avatar Cycle, seeing the complete change in character, as each of the Avatars would aim to restore Balance to the world and it was their purpose.

I can understand the haters of Korra too because most of the haters have 1 quality trait in common, which is the lack of interest for certain female traits. Examples would be like women can be Assertive which is kool, but when it comes to certain circumstances like women's interest & situations that involve female talk it's quite annoying for the male haters because both men & women have something in common which is "you can't be too desperate or too cheery, you must be aloof."

Male masses have a mentality to ruin confidence for people and is also common in females, but when it comes to female personas, Men tend to get very "insulting" about it because they just don't want to know such topics about female achievements because it has been like that for awhile, it's like it lowers testosterone flow for some weird reason.

Empowerment as a trait on a female also insults men's lack of necessity, some men are needed, and guys might find it too emotional. I find Korra an interesting character. Personally because she can be the Next Avatar who has potential to surpass the glory of Aang, as well of the past female glories of Kyoshi, and Yangchen which are the female Avatars before her.

Korra lacks some Avatar Roku traits, she is an extremely prodigy developed Avatar, she just lacks the calm collected discipline, patience, and peace that Roku presented. Korra is as assertive as Aang. Korra is a powerful bender indeed, but can she be as Powerful as Kyoshi? Kyoshi is known to be the represantation of a Pioneer who developed an isolated Utopia, Kyoshi defeated Chin the conqueror (keep in mind Chin was corrupted anyway), and created Kyoshi Island. Can Korra be as Merciless as Yangchen the Air Nomdic Female Avatar? Yangchen was a Powerful bender as well but she kept Balance over the World in an accurate manner, and she even involved her self-sacrifice of her spiritual needs in order to kept balance to the world.

Let's just hope Korra does not become like the Water tribe Avatar Kuruk, who in his time was prosperous, but sadly lost his focus for keeping dedication onto his relationship instead of his Avatar duty. Let us also hope that Korra can become as kool as The Lavabending Avatar before Yangchen, who this fire nation avatar with his individuality created Lavabending. Korra should create something like Stormbending involving both Waterbending, Airbending, Firebending and Lightningbending united and coherent. THAT WOULD BE SO AWE-INSPIRING AMONG THE AVATARS!!!!!!!.......

Maybe I'm just a little sleepy right now, but I'm having a hard time following the...uh....flow of your argument.

Like I get that...you're saying that it's still very early in Korra's story to make too many judgements about how she will compare to past Avatars.

But...Could you try...restating the rest of that for me?

you sound so familiar.

I can understand the haters of Korra too because most of the haters have 1 quality trait in common, which is the lack of interest for certain female traits.

1) Examples would be like women can be Assertive which is kool, but when it comes to certain circumstances like women's interest & situations that involves female talk it's quite annoying for the male haters.

2) Both men & women have something in common which is "you can't be too desperate or too cheery, you must be aloof." involving the how some guys don't like happy women and some women don't like needy men, or Jerks.

3) Male masses have a mentality to ruin confidence for people and is also common in females, but when it comes to female personas, Men tend to get "Very Insulting" they just don't care such topics about female achievements because it's like it lowers testosterone flow for some weird reason.

4) Empowerment as a trait on a female also insults men's lack of necessity, some men are needed, and guys might find it "too emotional."

I find Korra an interesting character. Personally because she can be the Next Avatar who has potential to surpass the glory of Aang, as well of the past female glories of Kyoshi, and Yangchen which are the female Avatars before her.

Avatar Roku comparison- Korra lacks some Avatar Roku traits, she is an extremely prodigy developed Avatar, she just lacks the calm collected discipline, patience, and peace that Roku presented.

Avatar Aang Comparison- Korra is as assertive as Aang. Aang left Republic city in the hands of Korra, passing down a Utopian Restoration task, in order to truly keep peace in the World.

Avatar Kyoshi comparison- Korra is a powerful bender indeed, but can she be as Powerful as Kyoshi? Kyoshi is known to be the represantation of a Pioneer who developed an isolated Utopia, Kyoshi defeated Chin the conqueror (keep in mind Chin was corrupted anyway), and created Kyoshi Island.

Avatar Yangchen Comparison- Can Korra be as Merciless as Yangchen the Air Nomdic Female Avatar? Yangchen was a Powerful bender as well but she kept Balance over the World in an accurate manner, and she even involved her self-sacrifice of her spiritual needs in order to kept balance to the world.

Avatar Kuruk Comparison- Let's just hope Korra does not become like the Water tribe Avatar Kuruk, who in his time was prosperous, but sadly lost his focus for keeping dedication onto his relationship instead of his Avatar duty.

The Lavabending Avatar comparison- Let us also hope that Korra can become as kool as The Lavabending Avatar before Yangchen, whom this fire nation avatar with his individuality created Lavabending. Korra should create something like Stormbending involving both Waterbending, Airbending, Firebending and Lightningbending united, simultaneously, and coherent. THAT WOULD BE SO AWE-INSPIRING AMONG THE AVATARS!!!!!!!.......

It's just too early to start pointing fingers, or creating a fandom that involves Hater rebellion, and Lover aristocracy.

I do feel a bit nostalgic, because i want to know more on the foundation of Republic city. Since all we know was that Avatar Aang, Fire Lord Zuko, the Leader of the Water Tribe Chiefdom, and probably King Bumi, the Beifong family and the Order of the White Lotus began an idea to create a Place were there would be "Utopian Peace, and Balance to the World" that mixed all of the Cultures of the 4 nations providing political stability, and unity among the masses no matter bender, non-bender, Fire nation, Earth Kingdom, Water Tribe, or Air Acolyte/Air nomad.

Rainbow Smoker

Madame Royale
User Image

pretty much my feelings on the subject.

Heckler

Xiam
I have not once ever heard anyone say Toph is "bitchy," and she's very much the same as Korra. Sheltered, wanting her freedom, and yes, a bit abrasive (though Toph is perhaps moreso). And people love Toph, don't they? I honestly don't see the issue with Korra at all.

The only reason I can see why people wouldn't like her is because she's not Aang.
Welp, on top of the Aang nostalgia bullshit I imagine Toph isn't called bitchy also because she's not actually the main character in the story and she's quite young, so you can't really get invested in hating her. She at least isn't the focus of the story and the well-liked male main character is able to encourage us to like her more, since he likes her as well. Plus, as Ren said, she looks and acts more "masculine" than Korra.

Also A+ thread right over here. (:

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Statustician 100
I don't think a bolin female would be chubby, since I don't see Bolin as being chubby, I consider all of what he has as muscle, he's indeed a very muscular person. If anything, the female might be made to be wider hipped and larger breasted, but being chubby, I don't see it. Just a hardcore hourglass figure.

Lawlz, I already think he's an attention whore, who's slightly dumb, and childish. Honestly if it were male or female, my impression for them seems to be the same.

Overall, I'd probably think the character was adorable.
How about we all just watch the show and stop complaining how some people are calling her bitchy. Let them have their opinions and you can keep yours but at the end of the day it's a T.V. show and people will keep their opinions no matter what you say.

Heckler

Slurpiee
How about we all just watch the show and stop complaining how some people are calling her bitchy. Let them have their opinions and you can keep yours but at the end of the day it's a T.V. show and people will keep their opinions no matter what you say.
I... really have to wonder if you read the original post at all. People are allowed to not like Korra, maybe because they have the impression that she's rude or arrogant or too stubborn, but derogatively calling her b***h is both not actually accurate (because she tempers her pride with genuine altruism) and incredibly sexist. Not only that but because she's a female protagonist she's being judged ridiculously harshly compared to other male characters in the series. That's what the thread is about, not what opinions people can or can't have. Besides, just because it's your "opinion" that doesn't mean you're not misinformed or viewing the subject from a flawed perspective.
W4NT0N 50UP
Slurpiee
I... really have to wonder if you read the original post at all. People are allowed to not like Korra, maybe because they have the impression that she's rude or arrogant or too stubborn, but derogatively calling her b***h is both not actually accurate (because she tempers her pride with genuine altruism) and incredibly sexist. Not only that but because she's a female protagonist she's being judged ridiculously harshly compared to other male characters in the series. That's what the thread is about, not what opinions people can or can't have.

So this whole argument is about some people that thinks a fictional character is bitchy in their eyes. They are judging her harshly and your point is? Stop comparing the characters then. I mean it's not that serious it's a cartoon if people are going to get their panties in a twist because they really don't like a character then don't read their post and watch the show. This whole discussion seems stupid.

Heckler

Slurpiee
So this whole argument is about some people that thinks a fictional character is bitchy in their eyes. They are judging her harshly and your point is? Stop comparing the characters then. I mean it's not that serious it's a cartoon if people are going to get their panties in a twist because they really don't like a character then don't read their post and watch the show. This whole discussion seems stupid.
It seems stupid because you don't understand that they're judging her harshly because she's a female character. Read the original post if you haven't already, it explains it well and I don't feel like repeating its points because I'd surely mangle them.

And it is kind of something to get serious about when real-world sexism is reflected in evaluations of these quite well-written characters. I have a feeling some people don't even realize the double standard they put on men and women in general and maybe they'd think about that after reading this thread.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff