Welcome to Gaia! ::

[******** you and go to Hell. You're NOT sorry. You knew what you were doing, and you're not slick. ******** you. People like you pull this kind of bullshit all the time and then you want to pretend you didn't mean it. But I know and YOU know that you meant it, or else you wouldn't have said it. You would have restrained yourself and not typed it. Had you had ANY sort of decency you would have realized your hateful mentality, but you don't. You have NO decency. You're an immoral a** who knew what you were doing. Don't you dare try insult my intelligence with that bullshit a**, fake a** 'apology'. Despite the garbage that's believed about black people, we're NOT dumb simpletons and we DO have feelings and WE CAN ******** TELL BULLSHIT WHEN WE ENCOUNTER IT. ******** YOU. You can't say s**t to even attempt to justify or explain away your hate. ********. YOU. evil stare evil

I suggest you re-evaluate your whole life. ******** off. scream stare
[******** you and go to Hell. You're NOT sorry. You knew what you were doing, and you're not slick. ******** you. People like you pull this kind of bullshit all the time and then you want to pretend you didn't mean it. But I know and YOU know that you meant it, or else you wouldn't have said it. You would have restrained yourself and not typed it. Had you had ANY sort of decency you would have realized your hateful mentality, but you don't. You have NO decency. You're an immoral a** who knew what you were doing. Don't you dare try insult my intelligence with that bullshit a**, fake a** 'apology'. Despite the garbage that's believed about black people, we're NOT dumb simpletons. ******** YOU. evil stare evil I never said I believed anything about black people, positive or negative. Just that it was okay for people to say what they want to say, as long as they're cool with dealing with the consequences.

But you know, okay. I'll leave you alone now.
Your 'explanation' means s**t. For you to say that word, hell, for you to even THINK it, says a whole lot about what you believe. Stop insulting my intelligence. ******** YOU, you hateful goblin. I'm blocking you. You have ROYALLY insulted not just me but my entire race and you have thoroughly pissed me off and I will NOT let a mule-faced turkey like you raise my anger further. ******** YOU, ******** OFF, and go eat a metaphorical d**k while you're at it. scream stare talk2hand
Dark_Lady_Jade
Your 'explanation' means s**t. For you to say that word, hell, for you to even THINK it, says a whole lot about what you believe. Stop insulting my intelligence. ******** YOU, you hateful goblin. I'm blocking you. You have ROYALLY insulted not just me but my entire race and you have thoroughly pissed me off and I will NOT let a mule-faced turkey like you raise my anger further. ******** YOU, ******** OFF, and go eat a metaphorical d**k while you're at it. scream stare talk2hand
Okay.
*sigh*

Getting this thread back on track (because I blocked that racist piece of dookie, so I'm calmer now stare ), I do agree about the unfortunate double standard regarding female characters and public opinion.
Meh. I hate a lot of girl characters.

Heckler

Dark_Lady_Jade
*sigh*

Getting this thread back on track (because I blocked that racist piece of dookie, so I'm calmer now stare ), I do agree about the unfortunate double standard regarding female characters and public opinion.
Yes, if they're not good enough they get a variety of sexist remarks about their flaws but if they're too "perfect" they get called Mary Sues which is also really frustrating. Here's a great article about it. I don't know if you've seen it or I linked it to you but I love passing it around. (I'm obsessed with linking articles. orz)

On a happier note, I hope Bryke keep writing because I'd love to see more of their work and maybe the next one they create won't be so bogged down in the Avatar legacy.

desupantsu's Waifu

Kawaii Blob

26,800 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Wow this thread got all sorts of angry...
anyway

'b***h' these days seems to be used for someone of the female gender, any woman the speaker deems unpleasant, or for a man who is acting "woman like."
words that have such generalized meanings are often a sign of limited vocabulary when used.

its too bad a lot of derogatory words are used, but if we didnt have the ones we have now it would be something else. i don't think a many page argument over saying it making you sexist or raciest is needed. it is just words, it can only hurt as much as you let it. Humans just have this whole need to express themselves and many do it with words.

there is quite the double standard for female lead characters in western cultures.
often if there in a female lead the show is then deemed for girls specifically ( unless her she pleases males in one way or another or she has many male side characters around her and refrains from being too "girly" ) So more often they make main characters male if they want an audience of both genders, mainly when talking about kid shows.

I think most of the hate for Korra is that shes not Aang.
but another thing is that she already knows 3 elements at the start, and people i guess see it unfair or something that shes a 'bending prodigy.'

Original Hoarder

11,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
marshmallowcreampie

And to add on, a lot of the female characters get sexualized. I'm no prude, but it does become problematic in that it reduces the characters to sex objects for the male members of the audience to look at. Take any action movie recently released and look at the female characters, most of them are sexualized in some way by being put in skimpy outfits, looked at through certain angles, or put into suggestive poses.

If it's any consolation, though, most of the people who don't like Korra are in a pretty small minority. She's popular, and a lot of people LOVE the fact that she's a strong female character. That doesn't make what the OP says any less important, though. Female characters are typically judged more harshly than male ones. Bender in Futurama is a really popular character, but if you gave a female character his traits, she'd have a lot more haters. A female character would be more likely to be labeled a Mary Sue than a male character would be labeled a Gary Stu, because certain traits like strength and assertiveness are seen as "less believable" for women to have.

Especially when they become "eye candy" rather than an actual character with deep character traits and thoughtful character development. Half are either the "ugly girl who became pretty" or just the "hot body" or the "female love interest AKA girlfriend."
Yeah, girls fall in love. But we're more than that.

Heckler

demonduck
its too bad a lot of derogatory words are used, but if we didnt have the ones we have now it would be something else. i don't think a many page argument over saying it making you sexist or raciest is needed. it is just words, it can only hurt as much as you let it. Humans just have this whole need to express themselves and many do it with words.
We have plenty of derogatory words that aren't in any way created to belittle a particular group. Jerk, a**, douchebag, s**t-for-brains, nitwit, numbskull, fool, and then you can get silly with buttface and nincompoop. Not all of them have that great glottal stop or general "spiciness" that worse swear words have but they don't evoke centuries of systematic oppression either.

Saying that things are only insulting if you let them be is kind of assuming we're robots who first assess the situation and then decide how we feel about it rather than a person who just... feels... things. It wouldn't make much sense if I pinched you and then told you it shouldn't hurt, and slurs can be far more painful than a pinch can.

Melodious Gentlewoman

25,990 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
I wonder, are the people who are calling Korra a b***h the same people who like Toph?

desupantsu's Waifu

Kawaii Blob

26,800 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
W4NT0N 50UP
demonduck
We have plenty of derogatory words that aren't in any way created to belittle a particular group. Jerk, a**, douchebag, s**t-for-brains, nitwit, numbskull, fool, and then you can get silly with buttface and nincompoop. Not all of them have that great glottal stop or general "spiciness" that worse swear words have but they don't evoke centuries of systematic oppression either.

Saying that things are only insulting if you let them be is kind of assuming we're robots who first assess the situation and then decide how we feel about it rather than a person who just... feels... things. It wouldn't make much sense if I pinched you and then told you it shouldn't hurt, and slurs can be far more painful than a pinch can.
well i suppose that's true, but all those words could easily evolve to be just as hurtful as b***h. b***h was originally supposed to be for a breeding female dog but somehow it got morphed into what it is today just by enough people starting to use it in a hurtful way.
if we switch to other words those would then become the new equal of b***h.

I'm not saying you wouldnt react to them. humans act now think later in most cases.
But you can choose to keep thinking and dwelling on it, or let it go.

Distinct Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
Just remember, a way to take fire out of 'b***h'.

A b***h is a dog, and dogs bark, and bark is on trees, and trees are part of nature, and nature can be beautiful. So, thank them instead of yelling at them. xD

Invisible Regular

Dove_of_Dawn
Just remember, a way to take fire out of 'b***h'.

A b***h is a dog, and dogs bark, and bark is on trees, and trees are part of nature, and nature can be beautiful. So, thank them instead of yelling at them. xD

That logic is flawed. Changing the meaning of the word doesn't change the intent nor context of how it was used. If people are using it as a sexist remark it needs to be addressed as such. I ******** hate when people do that substitution bullshit. When someone uses the word ****** against Black people in a racist context don't just go, "oh well its just a word and it has different meanings like ignorant, buddy or homey." 4laugh That's simplistic and doesn't change a damn thing in the long run.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
`April

Especially when they become "eye candy" rather than an actual character with deep character traits and thoughtful character development. Half are either the "ugly girl who became pretty" or just the "hot body" or the "female love interest AKA girlfriend."
Yeah, girls fall in love. But we're more than that.

Yeah. Even with the original series, even though Katara was the love interest, it wasn't her ONLY role in the story. They could've easily made her a purely platonic friend and her presence still would've mattered. She still had an effect on the story, she did things that mattered. She didn't exist as some "prize" for Aang to "earn" like a lot of love interest characters are. She was still her own person and character, she had her own motivations and without her, things would've turned out completely different.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff