Welcome to Gaia! ::

Widow

Hm I never thought people wouldn't emphasize on a polite attitude and attire in an interview.

I would probably flop on the whole 'eye-contact' thing though, unless I was desperate/really wanted the job. It's... uncomfortable.

Obsessive Kitten

Read and Refute
Hm I never thought people wouldn't emphasize on a polite attitude and attire in an interview.

I would probably flop on the whole 'eye-contact' thing though, unless I was desperate/really wanted the job. It's... uncomfortable.

I've always been told to stare at the point just above the area between the eyes so I'm not deadlocked but I look like I'm paying attention and not more interested in a plant or the hem of my shirt.

Leaf

Jinxed Tarot Card
This thread is very helpful, thanks very much for making it! I have a few questions, though. I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer them for me. =3

1. If I have crazy colored hair, would it be okay to wear a hat to cover it? Not a baseball cap, but one of those knit caps or paperboy hats.

2. I don't know any other type of shoes but sneakers. D= I can't wear boots and all the flats I've tried on make my feet hurt in some way. Would it be fine if my sneakers are clean looking and just black and white or simple looking? Or maybe if my pants cover my shoes?

Thanks again!
I would seriously consider toning down the hair colors. Save the crazy colors for once you're in school.

And the shoes. Looking nice hurts as do nice shoes. Child birth and shoes my mother always says. The two pains of being a woman. Solid colored sneakers are acceptable I suppose. You just don't want them to be distracting.

You basically at the minimum need to look like you have obviously made an attempt to look nice.
and glad to help. If there's anything else or if anything needs to be more clear in the guide just say the word and I will alter away.

Leaf

declaring own thread relevant always.

Aged Noob

15,675 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
love this.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
This really applies to any job really.
Although I'm not certain about the hair colours. I know people with blue hair who manage interviews very well. More than anything it's making sure that the hair looks good. If it's faded and turning gross colours, it's time to hide it for an interview. But if it's bright and looks good on you, and your hair is tidy and neat, you should be fine. Same goes for tattoos (as long as they aren't offensive). Piercings might cause a little more trouble, depending on the job, simply because you're expected to be able to take them out. Where your earring and nose ring, but if you've got 10 piercings, that's unnecessary to wear them all to a job interview.
Then again, that may only be where I live. It's more important that you look good and presentable, and that your act respectable and enthusiastic.

Leaf

x_Silver_Starlight_x
Although I'm not certain about the hair colours. I know people with blue hair who manage interviews very well. More than anything it's making sure that the hair looks good. If it's faded and turning gross colours, it's time to hide it for an interview. But if it's bright and looks good on you, and your hair is tidy and neat, you should be fine. Same goes for tattoos (as long as they aren't offensive). Piercings might cause a little more trouble, depending on the job, simply because you're expected to be able to take them out. Where your earring and nose ring, but if you've got 10 piercings, that's unnecessary to wear them all to a job interview.
Then again, that may only be where I live. It's more important that you look good and presentable, and that your act respectable and enthusiastic.
exactly. As long as any of the... personal touches aren't distracting from the important thing being you and your personality and everything else then no need to hide it. But if the three lip rings, 16 different color hair extensions and forearm tattoo that reads something like "Crunk" are going to be a definite distraction then it might be wise to do something about them.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
NuMedia Millie
x_Silver_Starlight_x
exactly. As long as any of the... personal touches aren't distracting from the important thing being you and your personality and everything else then no need to hide it. But if the three lip rings, 16 different color hair extensions and forearm tattoo that reads something like "Crunk" are going to be a definite distraction then it might be wise to do something about them.

Agreed
I worked with a guy once who was covered head to toe in tattoos (and I kid you not; he was bald and had them on his head, and there were certainly some on his feet too). Now, this was just a little farm market, but customers loved his tattoos. And he was rather polite and would answer questions.
He did eventually get fired because he had some anger management issues and broke the ice cream dipper--but that's beside the point.
I think I got a little off topic...
I think my point is people will sometimes even be fascinated by tattoos and other oddities too, so they can also be an advantage if they're done well.

Leaf

x_Silver_Starlight_x
NuMedia Millie
x_Silver_Starlight_x

Agreed
I worked with a guy once who was covered head to toe in tattoos (and I kid you not; he was bald and had them on his head, and there were certainly some on his feet too). Now, this was just a little farm market, but customers loved his tattoos. And he was rather polite and would answer questions.
He did eventually get fired because he had some anger management issues and broke the ice cream dipper--but that's beside the point.
I think I got a little off topic...
I think my point is people will sometimes even be fascinated by tattoos and other oddities too, so they can also be an advantage if they're done well.
mhm definitely, there are always the exceptions.

Leaf

i'm important and should be on the first page.

Invisible Humorist

When it comes to tattoos does it depend on the type of tattoos they have? I would think that you would have some sort of issue with gang tattoos.

Rhine Elmao's Waifu

Extreme Garbage

Aw s**t, and I just got an industrial piercing done yesterday. xD

This is a great thread though and it really applies to any job interview! Obviously some places are going to be a lot more lax with your appearance, such as crazy hair, tattoos and piercings, but that doesn't mean it's okay to rock up to an interview looking untidy or like you just rolled out of bed.

Actually, one of things we were told about when we were being prepped for interviews in my media class was to make sure your nails are clean and tidy. Clean under your nails and give yourself a mini manicure the night before. DON'T show up with bitten nails, chipped nail polish or 'over the top' polish colours or nail art. As for the guys, just trim 'em up and make sure they're clean!

A lot of people don't even think about their nails.

On the show thing, what about the type of sneakers that a lot of nurses and healthcare professionals use? Would it be an option for someone who's feet are too big to fit into anything other than men's sneakers and Doc Martin boots? xD

Leaf

Good Morning My Son
Aw s**t, and I just got an industrial piercing done yesterday. xD

This is a great thread though and it really applies to any job interview! Obviously some places are going to be a lot more lax with your appearance, such as crazy hair, tattoos and piercings, but that doesn't mean it's okay to rock up to an interview looking untidy or like you just rolled out of bed.

Actually, one of things we were told about when we were being prepped for interviews in my media class was to make sure your nails are clean and tidy. Clean under your nails and give yourself a mini manicure the night before. DON'T show up with bitten nails, chipped nail polish or 'over the top' polish colours or nail art. As for the guys, just trim 'em up and make sure they're clean!

A lot of people don't even think about their nails.

On the show thing, what about the type of sneakers that a lot of nurses and healthcare professionals use? Would it be an option for someone who's feet are too big to fit into anything other than men's sneakers and Doc Martin boots? xD
you just want to clean so that is acceptable if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff