Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leaf

Synapse End
When it comes to tattoos does it depend on the type of tattoos they have? I would think that you would have some sort of issue with gang tattoos.
gang tattoos are most likely a turn off.
Here's my tips:

1. look your best- hey, if you're a cute girl, don't cover that up. Not slutty but professionally attractive. Do your hair nice. I have a mid-length, short sleeved, collared dress with a fun print and tight belt I light to wear with shorter heels. very conservative, but nice. Shows you care about how you look.

2. Be prepared. have portfolio, business cards, and research beforehand who you're meeting with and who they represent. be prepared to tell them how YOU can help them, and how they can't get your talent from anyone else.

3. Know your inspirations. seriously, nothing looks worse than "who do you look at?" "ummmm....I'm my own inspiration.." NONOOOO My answer is usually: "Alex toth, Paul Felix, Gustav Teneggren, Oli Josman, etc" List both contemporary and older illustrators.

4. Zen. I was once called out for being too excited about something, because I was nervous. People need to know you work well in a team environment. Be cool. and this is what helps me with that...

...drink a beer (or take a shot) before the interview. seriously.
Also, in note to the dress suggestions- boorrrringggg. Look guys, from experience, please please don't be afraid to look like an artist. Dress your style, but do so thoughtfully.

Leaf

Truuble
Also, in note to the dress suggestions- boorrrringggg. Look guys, from experience, please please don't be afraid to look like an artist. Dress your style, but do so thoughtfully.
I guess by dress I meant something with a nice print that's cut well. Something with personality but nothing sleazy or dirty.

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Nice guide! Thanks!

I have a nice outfit that I use for all my college interviews and portfolio reviews. Cute dress with a cardigan, leggings and stylish boots. dramallama Not too fancy, but not too casual. I usually look like a homeless person so I feel so accomplished when I look professional-ish.

7,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Nice guide, seems appropriate to any kind of interviews.
My ex-boss would hire any girl who showed cleavage though, and sadly he isn't the only one.
Buuut, you probably don't want to work for that kind of person anyways...

Leaf

Salty Candy
My ex-boss would hire any girl who showed cleavage though, and sadly he isn't the only one.
haha on a semi related note I have a friend that spent a summer working at a super exclusive gentlemen's club out in the woods out side San Francisco. She waitressed. Her stories made me want to go and see it for myself and work their. She certainly got paid well. No tips for they paid her $16 an hour instead and then double that on weekends or something.

But yea. boobies.
definitly things to keep in mind. Thanks smile

7,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
NuMedia Millie
Salty Candy
haha on a semi related note I have a friend that spent a summer working at a super exclusive gentlemen's club out in the woods out side San Francisco. She waitressed. Her stories made me want to go and see it for myself and work their. She certainly got paid well. No tips for they paid her $16 an hour instead and then double that on weekends or something.

But yea. boobies.

Yes, they rule the world...
I feel jeans can be worn if you understand how to do so properly. Obviously they have to be clean and have no holes, but the cut is important, how they fit with the rest of the clothes, the fit, and the color.
A classic straight leg jean is the best option. Make sure you wear a belt with them even if you don't need it to hold them up. The belt and shoes should match. Go with a classy dress boot or shoe in a finish that looks like natural leather. Layers are best; a button-down shirt and a sweater will go a long way (keep the sweater a neutral color.) Make sure the jeans fit, you don't want to look like you stepped out of a rap video but you also don't want to look like your smuggling grapes.

Color is king. Darker=more formal, always. Be is jeans, shirts, slacks, or a three-piece suit the darker the color and more simple the pattern the more formal. However I feel a bit off on the idea of black jeans, I feel the most professional color choice would be a dark grayish blue with no distressing. (I don't think you should get pre-distressed jeans anyway but that's another matter.)

I find this is a good resource for the gents fashion wise.
-Halo Fauna

Leaf

Leaf

[******** yeah time to bump stuff

Dapper Fatcat

So, as an avid lover of tattoos (even though I don't have a ton of them, but plan to get a half sleeve), invest in some cool long sleeve shirts. Especially if the tattoo's aren't in everyone's taste... which, 100% of tattoos will not be in everyone's tastes.

If you have crazy colored hair (I use to have bright pink, cotton candy pink, and two different reds... at different times of course) and you want to work in a professional setting, and ESPECIALLY at an interview, maybe invest in a wig? I got one for the sake that I changed my hair a lot. Yeah it was a little pricy, but it was nice to go into job interviews and know that they weren't like "WTF IS UP WITH HER HAIR" and then after the job was secured we could discuss things like crazy hair colors, tattoos, and piercings.

Appearance matters in professional settings, seriously.
This is really really good. I've been to a few interviews and frankly sometimes that's the ONLY time you see the employer! Afterwards some jobs may only keep contact with you through email (it's illustration after all so email all the way!) you can look like a total slob all you want while working (at home) but you gotta pretend you look good at the interview
XD

I think a wig is a little too much, perhaps just a pretty hat?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff