Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leaf

The guide to looking like a professional
Yes you are an artist but there's no need to go around flaunting our own unflattering stereotypes.

Congratulations, you’re an artist. Maybe you’re applying to school or for a job. Yay, so happy. There are plenty of other places that discuss the what you need in an interview. These are generally them:

• Portfolio
• Portfolio
• Resume
• Portfolio

These things are all important, oh so important but I can name two things that can potentially undo a killer portfolio or a stellar resume. This is your appearance and attitude.

As an artist you should know that appearances are in fact everything. No amount of talent can make up for being a slob, a frump or not looking interested. If you walk into an interview situation and seem bored you will be dismissed. Maybe they won’t tell you to leave but they will write you off as someone who was clearly not interested and then a big fat rejection will follow and you will make sad faces all the days.

How do I know this? I have been on both ends. And trust me, the interviewer is trying to seem interested in you because they are interested in you. Make it easy for them and go ahead and be genuinely interested.

So, if you have any interest in impressing an interviewer, whether it is college or a job, DO NOT SEEM BORED. Here’s what you can do to appear really, really interested.

• Prepare questions to ask your interviewer. In college interviews it is typical that they will ask if you have questions. Maybe prepare a few. If they get answered while you are in the interview then let them know “I think you answered all my questions.” Ask them if you can email them or contact them some other way if you have questions that come up later.
• Smile. Please look happy to be there. There’s nothing more unhappy than when you look unhappy. I understand you might be nervous. This person stands between you and a job or an admission. They know you are nervous so try your best to look unafraid.
• Make eye contact. This goes along with being nervous but eye contact is a clear giveaway that you are listening. Listening is good. When the interviewer is speaking it’s generally a good idea to listen.
• Do not mumble. Be articulate. Do not talk to fast. If the interviewer cannot understand what you are saying then… they can’t understand what you’re saying.
• If you are bringing any papers such as resumes bring a copy for you and the interviewers. Follow along as they go through, whether it’s aloud or silently.
• Please do not contradict your resume. Know your qualifications. Do not make them up.
• Don’t be a brat but don’t feel afraid to brag about yourself. The interviewer will not judge you for telling them you graduated top of your class or have won this award or that award. As a matter of fact, we will think higher of you for having these accomplishments and then mentioning them.
• That goes into something else that is important: SEEM INTERESTED IN YOURSELF. Do not be absorbed in yourself but don’t be dismissive of yourself either. You are a serious person with serious goals so take yourself seriously.
• Also do not pull out your cell phone. The only reason why you would take a phone call is because someone you know is dying or bleeding from their head and even so, don’t pick up your phone unless you know in advance someone might be bleeding from their head in which case I might consider rescheduling. If you have a good reason they, the interviewer, -not the dying person- can be flexible. (humor anyone 8D)
• Do a little research on where you are being interviewed. Prefacing questions about the program or job with some prior knowledge says a lot.

Something nice you can do after the interview. Find that person's work email and write them a brief email thanking them for interviewing you and that you really enjoyed talking to them. You might not even have to go digging for their email; they could very well give you a card. I would do this for portfolio days too. Yes, go ahead and write those twelve emails. Personalize them a little bit. Everyone knows everyone and you don't want to be that guy.

Par example of a bueno lettero:

Dear Mr/Mrs. Interview person,

Thank you so much for meeting with me today and looking at my portfolio. I really enjoyed all your help and feedback. -Something relevant to the interview-

Thank you again,
Your wonderful name
Your wonderful email address

The email does not need to warrant a response. If you have a question then you can ask it but if not just say thank you. They will take note of this and when the time comes for decision making on their end, they will see this and smile and go "Omg they are so polite. Have an acceptance and a scholarship and all the nice things."

Also a note about your email address. If you current email address is socurgrl12741823@yahoo or animefrek69696969@gmail or milfbeastiality@yahoo or littlejessica@blahblahblahblah I might seriously consider creating a new email address exclusively for college things. This could be something nice and simple like your first initial and then your last name or first name last name or just your initials. Think bland and think vanilla and think boring email address. You don't need to express yourself through your ******** email address for christ sake. If someone important with important news needs to send you an email they might second guess if they're typing sailormoonpradachanelchiq@yahoo in the address box. Please and thank you.

What I am about to go over next is possibly THE single most important thing that needs to happen. If you do not do this you will need to be some sort of art making deity to compensate for it. I am talking about your appearance. This is the biggest problem I see with prospective college students. Okay, you are an art student, so artsy, you have your own style. But guess what, that college professor who is interviewing you has no interest in seeing your tye-dyed jeans. They do not want to see your combat boots. They do not want to see your underwear. They do not want to see your greasy hair. You will have plenty of time to look like a mess in front of these people after you are admitted. They will not care by then because by then they will know what a wonderful person you are and how talented you are. But right now, you are trying to impress them and looking like an art student will not impress them. It will not set the right tone.

You might think that your work can out shine your appearance and this is possible but they will see you before your work. You are tying to sell YOU. You are NOT trying to sell your work. Your work enhances YOU, not the other way around. When they send you an acceptance letter it will be addressed to you, not your series of self-portraits and still-lives. (If it is though, then you should take some fashion tips from your artwork because they obviously said something right...)

So, please please please please:

• Do not wear jeans with holes, ripped bottoms, that have been acid washed, that have writing on them from summer camp or some s**t, that have patches, I personally have a thing against jeans with too many pockets, especially in some place like an interview. If you are going to wear jeans might I recommend something dark?
• Do not wear a t-shirt with writing and graphics on it
• Do not wear a short skirt
• If you are wearing tight pants for whatever reason do not wear a thong. I can see it. It's not something I'm interesting in seeing. So please wear the proper underwear for the occasion.
• Tits in your shirt, this goes for guys and girls. We don't care if you work out, button up your shirt.
• Wear a belt if your pants sag
• Do not wear sneakers
• Take a shower before hand
• Do not wear too much make-up aka no glitter or green lips or super dark eye liner with super blue eye make up.
• Do not wear shoes you cannot walk in
• Do not wear an excessive amount of jewelry.
• If you have a nose ring, might I suggest a stud and not a ring for the interview? Studs can be pretty, even in your nose and they won't be distracting.
• Tame the mane. I guess I can understand crazy hair but if you go around with a faux-hawk or bizarro extensions or something else weird just look at yourself in the mirror. Sure, you may look ******** awesome but does it make you look professional? If you have odd colored hair, do not draw attention to it or anticipate the interviews and just get rid of it for the time being. Someone suggest a wig. If you want to go that route go for it. If not, think long and hard about your high maintenance pink hair.
• Do not over due the colognes and perfumes. If you shower the morning of and use soap and things you will not smell bad. I promise. I am admittedly the sweatiest person when I get nervous and I would always ask my parents how I smelled before hand and they aways said just fine. That's all you need, just fine.
• Do not grab a quick smoke of any variety before the interview. They can smell it. Do not assume they won't mind. Assume they will start gagging and die. You do not want to kill them but that should go without saying.
• Tattoos. If your tattoo is distracting do something to cover it up. Whether it's a mermaid eating a kangaroo or a tribute to a dead relative or a small simple shape, use your best judgement. When and if the interviewer sees it will they be distracted or lose focus? Is it so out of the ordinary or intriguing that they will ask about it? If they ask about your tattoo that isn't always a good thing but maybe not a bad thing. Just be smart about your ink and how much of it you show.

If you wear these clothing articles or appear this way at an interview, this will say that you do not care enough to dress up and take this seriously by looking even a little formal.

I am not telling you wear your nicest dress or a suit. Too much, too much. But…

• Wear some nice khakis/slacks/skirt that will not show your a**, etc
• Wear a nice button down shirt/polo/blouse/plain t-shirt with a sweater, etc
• Wear nice shoes such as your black dress shoes/boat shoes/flats/boots that are not combat boots and do not look trashy (ladies know the boot I am talking about, you want no laces or something along those lines, not rain boots)
• The hair. Wash it. Comb it. Brush it. And gentlemen, the faces. Shave it, trim it, just keep it groomed if you're rocking the bread or what not.

So please, I beg of you to do these things when you get interviewed. I know there are threads about what needs to be in your portfolio but the way you present yourself can be just as important. Looking like a professional is a great way to start a great interview and make millions of kittens and baby bunnies rejoice and cry tears of happiness and rainbows because you look like a serious individual who is ready to get that job or go to that school.

Also this for those of you who intend to marry a computer because you are in love:
rane the insane
Could i maybe add something for those going into computer animation/games/VFX that your showreel needs to be short and concise. You should also be up to date-ish with the technology and the most recent industry information which applies to you. Nothing is worst than when someone walks into a VFX compositing interview and is asked what they think about the current stereoscopic debate within VFX houses, and they dont even know what that is.

So for those going into this kinda stuff, brush up on tech, terminology, and trends. Tech moves so fast in these and if you fall behind then you get left behind.

Also i dunno if it helps but dreamworks came to my university and they talked about being a new comer to the industry and what to expect. I wrote a blog entry with all the tips and what not that they give.

Dreamworks How to act in a corporate environment

There are also traits that those types of companies are looking for which they have listed and i popped on there.

TL;DR
******** you, go read.

Also if I missed anything then please tell me. I just want this to be helpful but I'm tired of seeing prospective students in ripped jeans coming in for interviews.

Edit: added a few things, thanks you guys <3
Edit again: quote about technology. Know your s**t bros.

Dapper Spotter

Also, I see quite many prospective students with hair that looked like a rainbow vomited a s**t ton of rainbow flakes on. So, for major things like interviews consider taming your wild hair colours please.
            This is lovely and helpful and amazing and so are you.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
This is very much true, in every life situation and for every profession. If one shows up as if they just dived outta nearby container, no one will think that you can take responsibility that is required.
Lovely thread.

Obsessive Kitten

Spindlewick
Also, I see quite many prospective students with hair that looked like a rainbow vomited a s**t ton of rainbow flakes on. So, for major things like interviews consider taming your wild hair colours please.

This. If you're adamant about not dying back your precious color vomit then buy a wig. Also facial hair. Basically look like your brain hasn't been fried by chemicals and you know at least basic grooming for any areas that have hair. I know art's about freedom of expression but if you look like a Care Bear with a staple gun came after you, it doesn't bode well even if you have a mindblowing portfolio.
As someone who also interviewed students for a few months... please, for the love of God, don't overdo it with your perfume or cologne or whatever. Seriously. And go easy on the makeup. And don't come in smelling like weed for ******** sake.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

One thing I'd like to add is do some research on the places you are going to interview. It will make you look like you are proactive and interested in them. It will also make your questions more pointed.
I had a wig for interviews when my hair was crazy (though I did not bother to use it when I was doing tattoo shop interviews - crazy hair was not an issue). It cost me $300 and everyone thought it was my real hair - it is platnium blonde, and I have dark brown hair and eyebrows naturally... LOL.

Leaf

added some stuff that was mentioned here. The hair thing especially, I forgot to mention that.

Leaf

Fuin Elda
I had a wig for interviews when my hair was crazy (though I did not bother to use it when I was doing tattoo shop interviews - crazy hair was not an issue). It cost me $300 and everyone thought it was my real hair - it is platnium blonde, and I have dark brown hair and eyebrows naturally... LOL.
hahaha I love it. And well hey, Marilyn Monroe was a brunette but she rocked the platinum like it was only her's to have. Whatever gets 'er done.

I had a friend with blue tips for a while and she would put her hair up and hide them away for important things. I guess she had it pretty easy though.

Obsessive Kitten

I'm also wondering about the issue of tattoos. I've never tried for an art position anywhere, but I know the jobs I have applied for and had didn't advocate tattoos or the showing of them while on duty. I know one place I interviewed for, the assistant manager mentioned one of his employees has a Hello Kitty tattoo on her wrist that they demand she cover with a watch while at work.

They do have something called a Tat Sleeve that covers, say, arm tattoos and the same site has makeup to cover other ones should the job not want them seen when you're hired. But I think it's just kind of the same thing with piercings and crazy hair when it comes to interviews unless you're, like Fuin said, trying to get a job at a parlor.
The Loveless Blade
I'm also wondering about the issue of tattoos. I've never tried for an art position anywhere, but I know the jobs I have applied for and had didn't advocate tattoos or the showing of them while on duty. I know one place I interviewed for, the assistant manager mentioned one of his employees has a Hello Kitty tattoo on her wrist that they demand she cover with a watch while at work.

They do have something called a Tat Sleeve that covers, say, arm tattoos and the same site has makeup to cover other ones should the job not want them seen when you're hired. But I think it's just kind of the same thing with piercings and crazy hair when it comes to interviews unless you're, like Fuin said, trying to get a job at a parlor.

Or a place that quite frankly doesn't give a s**t. - most hair salons, all head shops, hippy run organics places.

Leaf

The Loveless Blade

I'm torn with tattoos. I got stuck when I thought about mentioning them but I think I will now. I got stuck on "what if they have a dragon that encases their arm?" Then I remembered that this person will probably wear a shirt. I have a friend who has a very small triangle right below the inside of her elbow and then another on her opposite wrist. They're not distracting so it might be a case by case basis thing so I guess everyone just needs to use their judgement.

I'll make a note of it in the guide for sure.

Eternal Rogue

This thread is very helpful, thanks very much for making it! I have a few questions, though. I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer them for me. =3

1. If I have crazy colored hair, would it be okay to wear a hat to cover it? Not a baseball cap, but one of those knit caps or paperboy hats.

2. I don't know any other type of shoes but sneakers. D= I can't wear boots and all the flats I've tried on make my feet hurt in some way. Would it be fine if my sneakers are clean looking and just black and white or simple looking? Or maybe if my pants cover my shoes?

Thanks again!
Generally hats do not go over well in most situations... and it normally makes people think you just haven't washed your hair....

It depends on what you are interviewing for, if you need to look 'normal' all the time, time to put a solid color in your hair probably a brown would be safest.

As for shoes... Go out and buy a cheap pair of flats. The shoes I wore to my last interview for a normalish job where looks and shoes were important, I went out and found a pair of shoes that were comfortable for working in (since I"d be wearing nothing but them) and bought them. If you won't be wearing those shoes every day and you can wear sneakers... Suck it up buttercup a few hours in them for an interview at the longest will not kill you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff