Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Grabber

So with all this stupidly crazy inflation going around, the usd to gold worth just keeps getting crazier and crazier. I cant even keep track of the worth anymore!

With all of this inflation comes a harder ability for gaians who sell their artwork to make a decent amount of gold since there are still plenty of people who are not quite caught up with the 'times of inflation' - especially if they do not purchase from the cash shop to make a tidy profit on the markets, or if they are not market users.

There are many artists, like my self, (as well as non artists I am sure) that now view gold as useless because... well what is the point of trying to 'make a living' in gaia anymore when you can't properly purchase things because the prices are constantly just going up up and up?

I still see people posting on the shops asking for bribes that they want full body art, couples or singles, for as little as 5-10 million gold. Sure, this might look like a lot to some people, but as it stands, 5-10m is now equal to pennies in this current economy. Hell, 500mil, which probably feels like a lot to most even now, is actually just 10-15USD. For artists who make a living off their art in real life, this is something they should easily be able to get, yet people are still acting like they should get art for super cheap.

This is why I correlate it to the bad commissions on deviantart. Sure, DA is a great place to look at art, and for some to sell or buy art. But the mentality over there seems very cut throat to me, especially in the forums, where artists will actually fight to get the lowest prices as long as they make the sale. I've seen art buyers start up huge arguments over 'having to pay 25 points' for a full body piece of art and how they think that is disgustingly expensive. I've seen people posting on other websites about how "Oh I should only pay x amount because art is not worth it otherwise", and I feel like this is how gaia is becoming because of the inflation.

I remember back a long time ago when I, and many others even, would sell their art for a gold equivalent of real money, which suited just fine back then (when 10usd was only 1million, does anyone remember that? Or even back farther when a letter at 2.50 maybe got you 40 or 50k? ). But now, if I were to do that, my sketches alone could net over 1b, which would obviously cause a huge uproar if anyone did that outside the auctions (I wonder if artists as popular even as sakimichan could sell just sketches, black and white with no shading, for 1bil or more).

I know this needs a proper closure but I just don't have one right now. I feel like what i've said so far pretty much says a lot about how I feel, how my friends feel, and how I've seen others feel about this sort of subject. I guess the only thing to really add now is that for those of you assuming inflation will somehow eventually go down, I think it will only continue to go up. There are no proper gold sinks, only circulating gold with nothing to stop it from growing but so many things to make it grow more. sad
According to the prices Gaia sets, 1 GC in GG is actually a very small amount. It's the marketplace sellers who blow up the prices.
You can't just look at one item available in the cash shop and see how much its worth in the marketplace to get an accurate conversion. At the very least you should find an average from the items available in the CS. The last time I did it, the conversion rate was a bit more reasonable, but that was before prices suddenly skyrocketed during the past month.

Vicious Grabber

MooMooJuice
According to the prices Gaia sets, 1 GC in GG is actually a very small amount. It's the marketplace sellers who blow up the prices.
You can't just look at one item available in the cash shop and see how much its worth in the marketplace to get an accurate conversion. At the very least you should find an average from the items available in the CS. The last time I did it, the conversion rate was a bit more reasonable, but that was before prices suddenly skyrocketed during the past month.

I am using this method I did because, if I was going to buy GC specifically to make the most bank for my buck, I would buy the most expensively sold item and then sell it on MP. So it's going by those values.

PS: love your art btw
I remember those days when 1mil was expensive. I kinda miss those days.

The fact that I can sell something like this and be offered up to 5mil for it blows my freakin' mind. It makes me wonder what I'd be offered for my usual stuff.

Gaia's doing just what post-WWI Germany did in terms of its economy. Find something at a low price now? Better buy it because that's the lowest you're going to find it! In an hour it'll climb 10% (I'm making that percentage up), and in another it'll do it again!
Meh.

It's like, I would almost rather just find artists who are doing IRL commissions and have a look at their prices so I can think about who to save up for. :/

Vicious Grabber

Eizoryu
I remember those days when 1mil was expensive. I kinda miss those days.The fact that I can sell something like this and be offered up to 5mil for it blows my freakin' mind. It makes me wonder what I'd be offered for my usual stuff.Gaia's doing just what post-WWI Germany did in terms of its economy. Find something at a low price now? Better buy it because that's the lowest you're going to find it! In an hour it'll climb 10% (I'm making that percentage up), and in another it'll do it again!Meh.It's like, I would almost rather just find artists who are doing IRL commissions and have a look at their prices so I can think about who to save up for. :/

yea... its why I just sell my stuff only for rlc now sad I have bills to pay and gold is just not worth it anymore sigh
Laenri
Eizoryu

yea... its why I just sell my stuff only for rlc now sad I have bills to pay and gold is just not worth it anymore sigh
Which makes perfect sense, really. I would rather do commissions for real money, but I'm not all that popular in my niche and I have no idea what I could offer that others couldn't outdo me in. *shrug*

Vicious Grabber

Eizoryu
Laenri
Eizoryu

Which makes perfect sense, really. I would rather do commissions for real money, but I'm not all that popular in my niche and I have no idea what I could offer that others couldn't outdo me in. *shrug*

doesnt mean you cant still try =)
Laenri
Eizoryu
Laenri
Eizoryu

I have. xD I just haven't tried very hard.

Vicious Grabber

Eizoryu
Laenri
Eizoryu
Laenri
Eizoryu

I have. xD I just haven't tried very hard.

when you offer what everyone else does, it is sometimes just about being in the right place at the right time. Which means advertise every time you can ^^

Kawaii Senshi

12,350 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
lol i was happy to get like 20k for avatar art back in 2009 xDD currently rejoined gaia again and those prices i keep hearing about are sick!

Vicious Grabber

Belliade
lol i was happy to get like 20k for avatar art back in 2009 xDD currently rejoined gaia again and those prices i keep hearing about are sick!

yea its a sadly common thing now I think....

the economy is so high that even trying to ask for gold equiv to rlc would get you looked at poorly or judged :/
Eizoryu

The fact that I can sell something like this and be offered up to 5mil for it blows my freakin' mind. It makes me wonder what I'd be offered for my usual stuff.

It's weird. I've recently started doing Gaia Commissions using a fast and easy cell shading style and I've been getting 50 mil+ offers for them. Where as before I was getting 1 mil + offers for my painted style which takes much longer.

I guess after years of doing commissions here I've finally found what kind of art people want, but man... here I was being worried about over pricing myself and no one wanting to buy from me...

Vicious Grabber

MooMooJuice
Eizoryu

It's weird. I've recently started doing Gaia Commissions using a fast and easy cell shading style and I've been getting 50 mil+ offers for them. Where as before I was getting 1 mil + offers for my painted style which takes much longer.

I guess after years of doing commissions here I've finally found what kind of art people want, but man... here I was being worried about over pricing myself and no one wanting to buy from me...

if you do rlc my friend might buy from you the painted stuff =)
MooMooJuice
Eizoryu

I think people are also paying in the hopes that it gives them a higher priority, or are paying more for art that has a faster turnaround, maybe? I know that my most recent endeavor paid off the most in terms of how many orders I received in relation to how long I was open. I had eleven (thirteen total, but had to reject two) in the span of two-three days. That was unheard of for me.

I hear ya though. I've been in and out of Gaia commissions for years, and the changes are just astounding.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
when i joined gaia, it was my dream to be able to sell art for 50k+ emotion_kirakira i could buy ANYTHING AT ALL even the AMAZING EXPENSIVE 40K FAIRY WINGS

but now i'm like 30mil blah not worth my time

it's kind of depressing. my art shop hasn't been open in forever because there's no way to keep up with how to price things

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff