Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Well, anime adaptations of games have to be a bit rushed. Games are a lot longer than what 12 episodes could usually pack in, so some things have to be cut out. But when it's a mystery anime, few things can be cut out, hence the problem.
This "anime" was a disaster! I recommend playing the game which is x100 times better! When I first heard it was going to be 12 episodes, like how the hell are you going to fit a huge, twisting plot in 12 episodes? I gave up after episode 3 as there was only 3 seconds of animation practically in every episode rofl

Clean Millionaire

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
The game is better. But to be honest I prefer the second game. I love it's characters more.

Demonic Felis catus

12,625 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
BoingBoingCrash
This "anime" was a disaster! I recommend playing the game which is x100 times better! When I first heard it was going to be 12 episodes, like how the hell are you going to fit a huge, twisting plot in 12 episodes? I gave up after episode 3 as there was only 3 seconds of animation practically in every episode rofl

I've played the game u-u
Golly don't you people read? 0_o

IRL Noob

Juvia-Sama
I just finished watching the animation for Dangan Ronpa and I just want to put a few opinions here.
WHY hot pink blood??
It just Totally killed it all. Get it. Killed it all. Ha.
Also, I thought they killed off the characters too fast, you didn't really have time to get attached to anyone really..

But other than that it was actually pretty good!

Has anyone else watched/played it? Aaand who was your favorite character? emotion_kirakira

well as far as ive read the pink blood is there bc the game was for the ps3 or something and they had to keep it PG
about the story, its waaay more in detail in the game and yeah the anime felt awfully rushed. i remember thinking that if someone only watches the anime they would be lost or would dismiss the characters bc they all seem bi-dimensional (hehe)
i liked almost everyone but then again i had time to know them v.v (i never played the game myself but ive read oren's playthrough on somethingawful) if i'd have to make a top 5, i'd say kirigiri, fukawa, naegi, chihiro and monobear.
what about you, tho? also, have you heard/read about super dangan ronpa 2?

Tipsy Bachelorette

12,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Marathon 300
I liked the anime my fav is monobear and kirigiri emotion_kirakira , however I wish I had the game. emotion_yatta

Agent Bear

10,775 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Team Jet 75
  • Unleash the Beast 100
Juvia-Sama
Tbh there was a time when Junko suddenly rose to fame in my cosplay community and everybody was like, cosing her so I went to check on her in Google and there I got to know she was the antagonist. You could say that I watched DanganRompa because of that character. I never played the game but the animation was, well, not too up to standard. Like you said, them peeps die off too fast and you don't really get to know the characters very well. But the suspense was exhilarating. All the culprits are so unexpected. And my favourite chars are Sayaka, Genocider and Mondo

Wild Comrade

SailorStealYourMan
I gave up on the anime after about three episodes, they rushed through it way too fast and nothing really made a ton of sense :c

Also they didn't even change the execution animations, smh I want to see my lovely characters getting brutalized in new ways

I guess it's mainly just a poor translation from the game for people who haven't/can't play it? I haven't seen too much of it obviously, but it seemed very disappointing, as I believe (and I totally may be wrong) it was made by the guy who did the Persona 4/Devil Survivor 2 anime adaptations, and DeSu2's anime was absolutely amazing.

Dangan Ronpa seems like it would be difficult to adapt as an anime, anyway.

I didn't think Persona 4 was that great. Devil Survivor 2 is pretty good, though.

Beloved Shapeshifter

ponponpon way x2
SailorStealYourMan
I gave up on the anime after about three episodes, they rushed through it way too fast and nothing really made a ton of sense :c

Also they didn't even change the execution animations, smh I want to see my lovely characters getting brutalized in new ways

I guess it's mainly just a poor translation from the game for people who haven't/can't play it? I haven't seen too much of it obviously, but it seemed very disappointing, as I believe (and I totally may be wrong) it was made by the guy who did the Persona 4/Devil Survivor 2 anime adaptations, and DeSu2's anime was absolutely amazing.

I didn't think Persona 4 was that great. Devil Survivor 2 is pretty good, though.
I'm with you on the difficulty with at least this particular game. I'm not sure how the second game goes, but it will be one of the games I'm preordering because I loved the first one. It had a mix of different animation that wouldn't make sense when translated on screen. Most of the story (except for the extra chapter that revolved around building something for Monokuma) involved the perspective of a character that acts more as a narrator, though he's the main and helps piece the case together.

I wasn't completely disappointed because I do get that sometimes, video games aren't going to do the whole in depth AU thing. In the example of Persona 4, a lot of the complaint with its original release was about how there was much more content. Danganronpa, too, seems to have the same problem. Yes, there was much more content and it'd have been nice to have more of a background. Even if it were something like giving those involved in the case some more face time, but since it's through Naegi's POV, would it make sense to have the scene where Toko and her crush have their exchange about her problem (which in two places, they did NOT reveal it in either the game or the anime) or Celestia invites Hifumi to her room? I mean, ideally, some of these events, just being a fly on the wall, would be kinda fun, but it could also have worked the opposite way, diluting the storyline, though showcasing some of the characters' backgrounds. Even doing the whole quest thing (ie:creating Cooking Monokuma and the other pieces) would have likely added some sort of facet, though those quests are a bit boring and seem to be ideal only to finishing the files of some characters.

Manly Man-Lover

ponponpon way x2
SailorStealYourMan

It really would be that way. Like, between the mix of the animation and the perspective, it'd be difficult to get the additional content that some people would want, without either making it a straight-up playthrough of the game or spoiling the surprises in the end. I mean, I remember just the first case. I opted to play the game before watching the anime though I heard about the anime first (it just didn't catch my eye in anime form at first). The way they did it though wasn't as subtle as the game was; Seeing Maizono's look after Naegi left pretty much telegraphed that she had a motive to use his room for something aside from feeling safe. Not so much the murder, but there were other ones that that kind of exchange would lead to a huge spoiler.

What if there was some sort of hint that Chihiro wanted to talk with someone on their own instead of how that one ended? Yeah, it'd be nice if they would have let us know the characters more, perhaps put Naegi's own exchanges with the characters before trials, but some of the private conversations between characters would in the end prove to be spoilers.

In that sense, I'm hoping that the second season, which I'm assuming will follow Goodbye Despair (which I'll play before watching again), has more of the protagonist communicating with his classmates. Though, to be honest, and I know this sounds morbid, but I'd have liked to see what would have happened with either a group punishment or even what would the individual punishments for the wrong person. From the synopsis, Goodbye Despair at least will offer this much.
To be honest, I haven't played it..I just ended up finding it when I was searching for horror and mystery animes for October..

I ended up finding though(・ω・)ノ
And, well I ended up getting attached too..Naegi (AHOGESSS)
And..Fukawa..heck, I liked all of them!
But in planning on..playing it one day
And, Super Dangan Ronpa 2(⊙ω⊙)

Chubby Cutie

37,650 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Squish Squish 500
  • The Sweetest 250
i read a play through of it before the anime and its release in the US, and i just

i get so pissed off even just thinking about the anime

because once it was announced, oh my god
i was so excited
my children were going to be animated, it was so great

and then it actually came out
and by episode three, i was like 'this is absolute bull s**t'.

there was no character development whatsoever, which was a shame, since the game really included that a lot. you could hang out with a character of your choice, and learn more about their character/back story and stuff

but the anime just
no :(
i tell anyone i recommend dangan ronpa to to just not watch the anime, and read a play through of the game, or play it themselves. because the anime is just rly bad and any new fans who just watch the anime and not see anything from the game are missing out big time

anyway
my favorite character was junko enoshima. she's my psychotic b***h wife 3nodding i also liked togami a lot, as well as leon

and from sdr2, ibuki mioda all the way. my punk rock babe.
The game had more room for character development, with the free time events and all. makes you more attached to the characters imo
The anime was definitely a disappointment compared to the game but that's mainly because it doesn't give the characterization like the game does, it just kinda gives you the main plot line and that's about it. You do get some of the character's moments but not all of them mainly just the few who survive. There are some parts I'm glad that still upheld the emotional depth that the game had (Mondo and Sakura) but asides from the main plot line there was nothing. You don't learn about what everyone wants to do, bits of their childhood and so much more.

I'm definitely curious as to how SDR2 will be done via the anime, I hope the characters still have the depth they have (I honestly agree with one of the other posters, I kinda love the SDR2 characters a bit more than some of the DR ones, I love all of them but some of the SDR2 characters are just written so much better)

Overall the anime was awful in comparison to the games but if you're in it for the story then, well it does the main plot line some justice but the side-stories and character development is just thrown out the window.

Also to what someone said, Hinata interacts alot more with the cast in SDR2 than Naegi did. The parts before the trials are much more character interactive, which is awesome. Also Hinata has a ******** spine unlike Naegi, just Hinata's a bit of a d**k.

I wonder what they'll do about Titty Typhoon in the English version.

Loyal Gatekeeper

5,400 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I totally loved DanganRonpa... (You can never forget the hot pink blood... no matter how hard you try... ) My favorite character is Kyoko Kirigiri... :3... She is really mysterious at first... but when the others start to know her they find her kind... In a way i really admire her...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff