Welcome to Gaia! ::

ZA3B0S's Waifu

Sexy Garbage

Woops, this thread exploded and I fell asleep.

But Exprezo, going back to your first post about it blowing up and all, why should it really matter? I'm aware of Nightmare's explosion in Hot Topic and am still a huge fan. If it takes away from YOUR experience, then there must be something wrong there. Who gives two shits if people aren't getting everything about it?

Much like Alice in Wonderland's hype, I'm still a fan of the series no matter what and it's a little ridiculous to expect anything else. Like I'm going to un-love Alice (or anything else) because of a store? I don't think so.

Shameless Nerd

What I don't get is why people keep claiming there's NO plot at all. The plot is quite simply Alice must return to Wonderland to save it and along the way figures out answers to her own life. She has a reason to go, so there's a plot. No plot would mean she just randomly falls down the hole or falls through her mirror and walks around aimlessly.

Now, I may be a big Johnny Depp fan but I didn't go JUST to see him. I'm also not a huge Tim Burton fan but I tend to really enjoy most of his works. I for one thought the movie was fantastic visually but it did lack a little bit story wise, not enough to turn me off though. & honestly, Johnny Depp was perfect for the Mad Hatter...do you know a crazier, more eccentric actor than Mr. Depp? He only goes for the crazy parts, he hates normal parts!

For those complaining about The Mad Hatter's make up, if you've read the articals about Johnny's & Tim's decision about it, you may understand better. Now, I still don't get why they make him so freakin white, maybe to exaggerate the red that comes from the mercury poisoning though? I think they took a great spin on the Mad Hatter. His randomness & yet intelligence work well together. Maybe they focus too much on him, but it has always seemed to me that outside of the queens, the Mad Hatter has a pretty important role in both the books & the movies. He's also the only other human besides the queens, of course Alice would identify with him more than any of the creatures. He may be mad, but being human makes him more normal to Alice than anybody else there. He's the first human she meets in Wonderland. Anybody ever think of that?

For those complaining about The Mad Hatter & Alice not being a couple...he seems far too old. He loves her, but more as an older brother or maybe a father. Get over it. It's kinda disturbing those who ship them together.

For those complaining about it being in 3D...go watch it in 2D then! Is that so freakin hard? It's in 3D because 3D is something new that appeals to many, but if you don't like it, nobody is stopping you from seeing it in 2D.

One last thing...so what if he tends to use the same cast? They all work well together. I don't see anything wrong with that. Honestly, it's like in school when you always work with the same partner/group. They're all good friends & they all make great movies together. They're quite an eccentric group, they enjoy the crazier things. It's gotta be hard to come by actors who are all for Tim's crazy ideas.

The one thing I really disliked was the combo of The Red Queen & The Queen of Hearts. Visually, I also wasn't too fond of her oversized head. They could have made it just a tad bit smaller if you ask me or at least better proportioned her body. I believe the ending is where the story needed more. I mean, we undertsand that Alice leaves Underland, possibly with the intentions of going back one day, and then goes off to pursue her father's business and crazy ideas...but it still seemed to lack a lot there. Besides that, I thought it was a wonderful sequal to the books & it had a great story line that maybe just needed a tad bit more work and a few more relations to the books. Hopefully there will be deleted scenes on the DVD! Visually, Wonderland was beautiful...I think it needed just a few more crazy, twisted things but...oh well. It was still a beautiful & quite realistic for an imaginary world.

But now I think it is time for Tim to return to something original. His originals are always better.
I haven't read the books though I own them...people sometimes like to keep something as classic as this in it's original form and can't take change. But I think it was amazing and loved the twist. Like West Side Story over Romeo and Juliet...

3,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kimilou
Lucariobit56
Yeh i like em too, but I have to say. Whoever came up with the series was on drugs. Because if u remember from the cartoon one, the catipillar was smoking pot.... in a disney movie..... sooooooooooo... *shrugs*
eek <Holy **** that guys hardcore

It was not smoking pot, you are stupid. It was smoking out of a bong, it does not mean it was pot.

Fine, but i already said that why would drugs be in a DISNEY movie? ok? that was my point

3,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Affettuoso

But Exprezo, going back to your first post about it blowing up and all, why should it really matter? I'm aware of Nightmare's explosion in Hot Topic and am still a huge fan. If it takes away from YOUR experience, then there must be something wrong there. Who gives two shits if people aren't getting everything about it?

Much like Alice in Wonderland's hype, I'm still a fan of the series no matter what and it's a little ridiculous to expect anything else. Like I'm going to un-love Alice (or anything else) because of a store? I don't think so.

Ur right, jus' because something goes good or bad doesn't mean we should start to hate it. Because in a minds we aren't accepting the change. I guess it's us who r bad rather than the movie
well i actually liked the new version i went to see twice...

Shameless Nerd

I have a feeling nobody will read my post b/c it's so long sweatdrop you really should though, I do believe I've made some valid points.

Quotable Phantom

9,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
La Lionne
I have a feeling nobody will read my post b/c it's so long sweatdrop you really should though, I do believe I've made some valid points.

I read your post. xd

Your points are valid. But like I stated before, I think this is a matter of the public expecting a remake of the books and what they got was an interpretation of what happened after the books. The people complaining didn't want a new story.

I also think that if you changed the names of the characters and took out the tea party and the scene of growing and shrinking you have what is in truth a stand alone movie with a plot that has nothing remotely to do with the original works. (I know it is an expansion and that was the intent but it does not necessarily capture the nature of Wonderland). Remember, Carroll's Alice as a protagonist was a curious bold child who explored, not really so much what one would classify as hero and I don't think most people can make the leap to see how that can or could have changed.

The move IS beautiful. The actors did well (maybe over doing it a touch at times). A decent movie...not what I would consider to be blockbuster stuff but then what sells a movie is advertising and merchandising and they have plenty of it.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
Lucariobit56
Affettuoso

Ur right, jus' because something goes good or bad doesn't mean we should start to hate it. Because in a minds we aren't accepting the change. I guess it's us who r bad rather than the movie
It's the same as when you hear the same song over and over again. It's not that the build of the song is lessens over time it's just that you plain grow sick of it. And that is the only way it could be ruined... it just gets old.

Lupine Hellraiser

Affettuoso

This. Exactly.
To me, if other people starting to like it makes you give it up,
then you weren't much of a fan in the first place.

Also some of the merch is really cute, and despite what some people have said, theres a lot of Queen of Hearts things. It's not all Hatter.
Affettuoso
Seriously. All I've seen is people whining because somehow Burton's film "ruined" the entirety of Alice in Wonderland. I'd really like to know why this is.

Yes, I've seen the animated Disney one. I've read the books. Big fan. But to see someone put a new spin on the series really excited me, much like the SyFy mini-series Alice. I love when people take a whole new direction with something old and over-done, much like Alice in Wonderland.

Also, people like to say that Hot Topic is murdering it, making it so posers or whatever can get their grubby hands on AiW s**t. I'd say that's awesome, really, since I'm a big fan of t-shirts haha.

ITT: You getting over it now.

I AGREE !!!! mrgreen

Melodious Flatterer

Exprezo, it's obvious we won't agree about Alice or convince each other, so... agree to disagree. However, I have to bring up this because I think you're being unfair to me:
Exprezo
insulting my spelling will do nothing for your argument. It's pointless because I don't really give a damn if I messed up. So... that was just you being an a** becasue I'm making valid points. In my eyes anyway.
[...]
Oh, and just to be an a**. Former and latter are the exact same thing... You me forward and latter. Former is means after so does latter. Forward and latter.

First: I wasn't insulting your spelling, I didn't even say anything about it. I pointed out that you used a wrong word. I apologize for making you feel insulted, but please don't assume I did it to be an a**. I'm not sure why you think I did it to make your arguments invalid since I put it on the end of my reply to separate it from the discussion.

Second: "Former" and "latter" is not the exact same thing.

Former:
thefreedictionary.com
1. a. Occurring earlier in time.
b. Of, relating to, or taking place in the past.
2. Coming before in place or order; foregoing.
3. Being the first of two mentioned.

Latter:
thefreedictionary.com
1. Being the second of two persons or things mentioned.
2. Near or nearer to the end: the latter part of the book.
3. Further advanced in time or sequence; later.

Third: Even if they had meant the same thing, I wouldn't have been insulted by your correction. I would've been embarrassed, sure, but I still would've thanked you for pointing it out. So I fail to see what's making either of us an a**.

Keen Incisions
Affettuoso

This. Exactly.
To me, if other people starting to like it makes you give it up,
then you weren't much of a fan in the first place.

Also some of the merch is really cute, and despite what some people have said, theres a lot of Queen of Hearts things. It's not all Hatter.

Thirding this. Something getting more fans is not an automatically bad thing. You know what happened when more people started to like the classic Mega Man games? We got Mega Man 9 and 10! More people liking Alice = more Alice stuff = happy fans. Plus, you know, the companies that made them gets money, meaning they can make more good stuff.

I can understand Hype Aversion - hearing so much about something can and will make you tired of it. I'm the same way about Twilight. However, the way some people complain about it smacks of "I'm not the only one who likes it so I'm not unique anymore~" which... is just silly. As silly as thinking fans will ruin it. You either like it or you don't. The fans might play a role in it and some are annoying, but they shouldn't be the major factor. So what if they don't get everything about it? Either explain it or hang out with the ones who do! I've yet to see a fandom so small you HAVE to hang out with fans you didn't like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff