Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sapphira_of_Dawn
I don't see how it 'ruined' AiW. It was an attempt at creating a third part to the series.
As for comparing it to the 'original' movie, there wasn't really an original. Even the Disney animated version had serious editing and things from the book cut out.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
I didn't read others reply because it's a waste of time... So if this is redundant then I donno don't read it.
Imma sta
y as diplomatic as possible, while speaking freely, to keep people form eating me alive fore thinking against the antisocial ideals.

I can't say that it's been ruined but it's will definitely be over plaid for the next few years just like nightmare was. You're going to here music, and see games, and shirts, and EVERYONE is going to watching the Disney production like they have been doing it since they were children. And you will see the books Everywhere... And new books will be published... and pins, and cretins, and beaded lampshades.... throw pillows... Alice is going to be EVERYWHERE because it's Disney and Burton... it's going to explode and it's going to take out 2 contents.... and it's going to go on for a long long time... we are all going to be so sick of it by the end of it that the movie.... the books... and everything else is going to be completely overdone that it really will lessees in impact of the idea of Alice. And that is how is will ruin it. Because Everyone is going to over do it and it's just going to become another trend.

And that actually makes me quite sad because I did love the books and the movie as a child. I can actually sit and recite all the books and movie in order word for word. And I can do that now... before the trend started.

But, in truth, I don't see anything wrong with the newest production other then the fact that it is pretty much a carbon copy of they game that came out 10 years ago. And I did actually grow up with my grandmother reading me the Alice books as child so I always want the movies and reproductions to hold closer to the book rather then other productions and adaptations.But there is nothing being ruined... it's just people bitching about nothing so they can feel good about being "original".

Merry Witch

36,415 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • 20000 High Score 500
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
Yeah, I've never really understood the whole "RUINED FOREVER" thing in general. I liked this new Alice in Wonderland movie, and it certainly didn't ruin Alice in Wonderland forever. D:

Melodious Flatterer

Exprezo
But, in truth, I don't see anything wrong with the newest production other then the fact that it is pretty much a carbon copy of they game that came out 10 years ago.

Er, what? No, no it isn't. The only things in common are that they take place after the books, the Queen of Hearts taking over Wonderland, and the White Rabbit brings back Alice. The game has Alice ending up in a asylum because she felt so guilty over surviving the fire that killed her parents that she tried to kill herself. Movie Alice has lost her father, but her mother and sister are still alive and well. Game!Alice fights through hordes of enemies with all kinds of weapons. Movie!Alice doesn't want to fight until the end of the movie, and when she does she only uses a sword and is dressed in armor. Almost all of game!Alice's friends or allies die, in the movie they all survive. The Hatter is a friend in the movie and an enemy in the game.

They have their similarities, but a carbon copy? No.

To get back on topic, I don't get the people saying the original books are ruined because of the movie. Tim Burton hasn't traveled in time and changed them so they're exactly like the movie - in fact, it's pretty clear it takes place after the books.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
Ms Jolene Hill
Exprezo
But, in truth, I don't see anything wrong with the newest production other then the fact that it is pretty much a carbon copy of they game that came out 10 years ago.

Er, what? No, no it isn't. The only things in common are that they take place after the books, the Queen of Hearts taking over Wonderland, and the White Rabbit brings back Alice. The game has Alice ending up in a asylum because she felt so guilty over surviving the fire that killed her parents that she tried to kill herself. Movie Alice has lost her father, but her mother and sister are still alive and well. Game!Alice fights through hordes of enemies with all kinds of weapons. Movie!Alice doesn't want to fight until the end of the movie, and when she does she only uses a sword and is dressed in armor. Almost all of game!Alice's friends or allies die, in the movie they all survive. The Hatter is a friend in the movie and an enemy in the game.

To get back on topic, I don't get the people saying the original books are ruined because of the movie. Tim Burton hasn't traveled in time and changed them so they're exactly like the movie - in fact, it's pretty clear it takes place after the books.
Grah! Why must people argue submantics with me?

Imma do this short... because... I've done it like twice already and I'm long winded.

The removed the gore, changed the villain, and switched her morals a bit... but you know what...
The storyline is still twisted, the characters 4 times as insane as the originals, Alice still ends up fighting, Alice still loses family, wonderland is still wilting under the rule of a tyrant that is ,figuratively speaking, Alice's insanity. Alice still has to deal with "enigmas" Who gives a damn what she kills them with she still kills them. Who cares if the mad hatter is an enime or a friend... he's still a ridiculously exaggerated form of himself. The graphic are the same, the plots (altbeit have differences in technicality) go in the same damn direction of Alice returning to wonderland later on, it's gone to hell because of some big bad wolf, they go on a quest, she meets with old friends, and they kill their damn advisably.

And the only reason she fights ONLY with a sword is because they were trying to make Alice the "oofish" that stood and took his vorpol sword in hand.

That is The BEST twist that they pulled out and it was a direct ******** quote from the jabberwock poem. So all in all they ripped everything off. Now...

Yes... they are slightly different... if they weren't they would be coppy write... but god damn... they are to similar to ignore...

Zachravel's Datemate

Monster Ship

Because people always complain about how it isn't like the original rolleyes

What the fail to see, is that it wasn't meant to be the original.
It was supposed to be like a sequel.

I think it was pretty well done. He stuck to the story and the wild characters;;
Even it wasn't like OMG BEST EVARR!!1!!one!
It was well done.

I mean, can you think of a better plot for the sequel?

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
Hana_Kimi_luv
Because people always complain about how it isn't like the original rolleyes

What the fail to see, is that it wasn't meant to be the original.
It was supposed to be like a sequel.

I think it was pretty well done. He stuck to the story and the wild characters;;
Even it wasn't like OMG BEST EVARR!!1!!one!
It was well done.

I mean, can you think of a better plot for the sequel?
It didn't need a sequel... It already had one. ... Through the looking glass.

Melodious Flatterer

Exprezo
Ms Jolene Hill
Exprezo

Grah! Why must people argue submantics with me?

Imma do this short... because... I've done it like twice already and I'm long winded.

The removed the gore, changed the villain, and switched her morals a bit... but you know what...
The storyline is still twisted, the characters 4 times as insane as the originals, Alice still ends up fighting, Alice still loses family, wonderland is still wilting under the rule of a tyrant that is ,figuratively speaking, Alice's insanity. Alice still has to deal with "enigmas" Who gives a damn what she kills them with she still kills them. Who cares if the mad hatter is an enime or a friend... he's still a ridiculously exaggerated form of himself. The graphic are the same, the plots (altbeit have differences in technicality) go in the same damn direction of Alice returning to wonderland later on, it's gone to hell because of some big bad wolf, they go on a quest, she meets with old friends, and they kill their damn advisably.

And the only reason she fights ONLY with a sword is because they were trying to make Alice the "oofish" that stood and took his vorpol sword in hand.

That is The BEST twist that they pulled out and it was a direct ******** quote from the jabberwock poem. So all in all they ripped everything off. Now...

Yes... they are slightly different... if they weren't they would be coppy write... but god damn... they are to similar to ignore...

What you mentioned is still only that, similarities. The Red Queen/Queen of Hearts taking over Wonderland isn't exactly new, the Mad Hatter gets exaggerated in almost all adaptations - and of course it matters if he's an enemy or friend, because it makes a major difference in the story. Same with Alice not fighting. Heck, aside from the Red Queen (who's generally portrayed as screaming at people) the characters act nothing like their counterparts in the game. They barely look the same. Returning to Wonderland? That may or may not be darker? Has also been done before. Heck, making AiW darker is common!

And, you know, "going to another world to defeat evil" is one of the most common themes that exists. Is it really that strange someone would use it for Alice?

It's fine if you don't like the movie or think the game is better... but claiming the former ripped of the latter? Please.

Also? "Advisably" means "worthy of recommending". The word you're looking for is "adversary".
The Red Queen is the Queen of Hearts in the movie. That might piss off a lot of people who have read the book.

They overstress the importance of the Mad Hatter.

That's all I can say. neutral

Hygienic Bloodsucker

7,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
I agree with Blues Operator...
For me it seemed like fanservice for all the Mad Hatter fangirls out there....
Nothing will ruin Lewis Carroll's masterpiece, the only thing that's ruined here is that film. I get that it wasn't supposed to be like the books, and while this may not be a wise-choice on the part of Disney, the screenwriter, or Tim Burton, I went into it with an open-mind to try and enjoy a film.

As a film, that was terrible. It was only saved by its fabulous cast, and even then, the star was so bland, and I'm just plain sick of Johnny Depp. That was easily the worst film I've seen since Catwoman.

It was more of fanservice for Mad Hatter/Alice pairing shippers. That's pretty much the extent of the film's plot. Its Twilight, Chronicles of Narnia, and Edward Scissorhands thrown together for a stylish, but a bland film.

6,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Edward 100
AgentSometime
I hate it when people say something "ruined" the original. The original is still as awesome as it has always been, that doesn't change because an adaptation might not be that great.

You're right, it's not like Tim Burton's version is replacing all signs of the original. What is wrong with some people? o_O
Death-has-a-name
AgentSometime
I hate it when people say something "ruined" the original. The original is still as awesome as it has always been, that doesn't change because an adaptation might not be that great.

You're right, it's not like Tim Burton's version is replacing all signs of the original. What is wrong with some people? o_O

I think perhaps that merely means that Tim Burton is taking part in the flanderization of Lewis Carroll's work, further skewing people's perceptions of it, and Carrollian purists like myself are personally horrified at the massive amounts of Alice/Hatter shippers parading the streets and internet. Its really a bastardization of the original work, with no respect or credit given to it.

Many modern Alice fans aren't even aware of the book's existence.

Devoted Miko

The only thing that I was frustrated with in Tim Burton's film is the small changes made to the story. It was based on the book "through the looking glass," in which Alice goes through a mirror. In the movie, she fell through a rabbit hole. Again.
All i have to say is people need to respect other peoples opinions. If i don't like something, i'll tell you that i dont like it IF it is asked, but if you don't like that i don't like it and make fun of me for it then you are just as ignorant. So seriously, its one thing if you have things you may like/dislike but why make a forum to to cause a mass arguement about how you think about a movie? I mean your turning it into a debate when it is clearly a matter of opinion. And no, i am not rooting for people who may/may not like it, im just saying most of you guys are wasting your time sitting here trying to justify an opinion. Just because society agrees does not make it justified.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff