Welcome to Gaia! ::

ZA3B0S's Waifu

Sexy Garbage

Seriously. All I've seen is people whining because somehow Burton's film "ruined" the entirety of Alice in Wonderland. I'd really like to know why this is.

Yes, I've seen the animated Disney one. I've read the books. Big fan. But to see someone put a new spin on the series really excited me, much like the SyFy mini-series Alice. I love when people take a whole new direction with something old and over-done, much like Alice in Wonderland.

Also, people like to say that Hot Topic is murdering it, making it so posers or whatever can get their grubby hands on AiW s**t. I'd say that's awesome, really, since I'm a big fan of t-shirts haha.

ITT: You getting over it now.

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
The Sci-fi version is, in my opinion, better than Tim Burton's version.
But yes, they were both very, very good.
smile

Friendly Vampire

sadly i was unable to catch the syfy version, i personally enjoyed the new movie by tim burton, hated the animated one.
Some people just dont like whats in, lol

Magnetic Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
Affettuoso
Seriously. All I've seen is people whining because somehow Burton's film "ruined" the entirety of Alice in Wonderland. I'd really like to know why this is.

Yes, I've seen the animated Disney one. I've read the books. Big fan. But to see someone put a new spin on the series really excited me, much like the SyFy mini-series Alice. I love when people take a whole new direction with something old and over-done, much like Alice in Wonderland.

Also, people like to say that Hot Topic is murdering it, making it so posers or whatever can get their grubby hands on AiW s**t. I'd say that's awesome, really, since I'm a big fan of t-shirts haha.

I haven't seen the mini-series, I tend to avoid anything made by SyFy, as I have found their movies to be generally pretty terrible, but I may have to check it out.

As far as the movie,I couldn't agree more. I enjoyed the movie, I thought it was visually fantastic, and I thought that Burton breathed new life into it. I've noticed that when anything gets a lot of hype, people tend to turn on it and that's my guess for the majority of the AiW hating that's been going on. I've even heard people going on about how they think it's terrible, and how Burton failed, blah blah blah. And then they'll admit to never having seen the movie. If you don't like something, that's your right, but at least watch the damn thing and give yourself the opportunity to decide for yourself instead of jumping on the bandwagon. And as far as comparing Burton's version to the original animated Disney version, I find that a bit silly. They are both fantastic in their own way.

Anyway, if you enjoy alternate takes on the AiW story, check out the Looking Glass Wars book series by Frank Beddor, it puts a really different spin on the story and I found it to be very enjoyable.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

the main complaints happen exactly thus:
"They're going to ruin the original!!"
*goes to see movie*
"I HATE that it was nothing like the original!!"

Ugh. People are just ignorant and unoriginal. I personally loved it, because it offers you a possibility of what could have very well happened after she had left Wonderland the first time, and that's what people don't understand.
Most people who hated it that I spoke to, said that it was nothing like the original, that this wasn't in the story, that wasn't in the story, that never happened...etc.

But it's not the original story at all- it's what takes place several years AFTER.

Quotable Phantom

9,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I liked the movie for what it was though you could have thrown the names of any characters in there deleted the growing and shrinking and the tea party and no one would have been able to identify it to Alice in Wonderland.

Honestly, I think that is what bothered people. People were hoping to see a classical work they loved put on the screen. They didn't want a new story. They wanted the story they read and loved.

Burton didn't fail. He did what he intended. Unfortunately, people misunderstood the intention and felt it was a misrepresentation.

This is at least my opinion of what happened. I could be wrong.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

I think you may well be right. But I think it's petty to compare the works against eachother, since they both are stunning and wonderous on their own. They cannot possibly compare to eachother, because each offers so much the other does not.
I hate it when people say something "ruined" the original. The original is still as awesome as it has always been, that doesn't change because an adaptation might not be that great.
isn't the movie based on the book, like there is a sequel or something. Since my friends reading it O-o
monstaarh
isn't the movie based on the book, like there is a sequel or something. Since my friends reading it O-o

The movie had elements from Alice in Wonderland as well as the sequel, Through the Looking Glass.

Punching Bag

It didn't ruin it, because AiW sucked to begin with. C:
I don't see how it 'ruined' AiW. It was an attempt at creating a third part to the series.
As for comparing it to the 'original' movie, there wasn't really an original. Even the Disney animated version had serious editing and things from the book cut out.

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm not a fan of Burton's style in movies. But AiW wasn't as bad, style-wise, as I expected. Overall I rather liked the movie.

So who cares if there are AiW shirts in Hot Topic. I don't get why people care what posers are doing. Hot Topic has shirts that I may like since I liked the movie. I don't care what anyone else does with them, so long as the shirts are available to me.
Affettuoso

Sapphira_of_Dawn
I don't see how it 'ruined' AiW. It was an attempt at creating a third part to the series.
As for comparing it to the 'original' movie, there wasn't really an original. Even the Disney animated version had serious editing and things from the book cut out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff