Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [ANIME] - A place exclusively for the DN anime. Post anime-related threads here.
Death Note Vol.1 available soon

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Baubles the Shinigami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 am
Viz Media in their new shop has Death Note vol.1 for preorder with a special edition Ryuk figurine/bust it is available for $45.95 but i havce no idea when it comes out. It is bilingual with eng subs and contains uncut episode 1-4  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:17 am
I don't know about anyone else but that seems stupidly expensive for only episode 1-4, even if it is bilingual. I got episodes 1-30 off eBay for £30 (which is about $50-60 USD) including shipping. Sure they're probably counterfit or something, but the quality of the picture and of the subtitles is just as good as any other movie or anime I've ever watched. :]

caffeine add!ction

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm
caffeine add!ction
I don't know about anyone else but that seems stupidly expensive for only episode 1-4, even if it is bilingual. I got episodes 1-30 off eBay for £30 (which is about $50-60 USD) including shipping. Sure they're probably counterfit or something, but the quality of the picture and of the subtitles is just as good as any other movie or anime I've ever watched. :]

I'm going to respond specifically to your comments, since you seem misinformed on a few points.

First, you've obviously never seen Bandai Visual's prices. The cheapest DVD thay've put out was $20 for one episode, no dub and a concert (and from what I hear, there's more concert footage than there is anime). They're usually more around $40-50 for two episodes, again with no dub. ...That's an entirely different discussion, though, and to be honest they're the exception, not the rule. Most companies will charge about $30 for bilingual DVDs (up to about $40 with a box, the prices vary more with additional pack-ins), and Media Blasters charges closer to $20 for a subtitled-only release.

Back on the Death Note DVDs, there's going to be a standard version of each DVD for $25 (cheaper than many bilingual anime DVDs, and that's before it's been discounted by various stores) and a special edition of each for $40 that comes with a figure (the price in the first post is off; Viz has it for $40). Checking online helps a lot; RightStuf has the standard versions listed for $19 and the special versions for $30, and I'm pretty sure other places will carry them for lower prices, as well.

If the Ebay DVDs work in a normal DVD player, they're bootlegs. The only authentic Death Note DVDs out right now are the Japanese ones, and they would only work on a regionless DVD player and probably don't have subtitles. I also don't think they've gotten to episode 30 in the DVD releases, although I could be wrong.

The price of the official DVDs are expensive, yes, but you have to pay more to get authentic DVDs. Personally, I'd rather have the official DVDs and pay more, but I know there are people on both sides of that debate. Also, I've never compared a fansub to a DVD release, so I'm not going to talk about the quality, although I'd definitely hold the translation of a professional who's been paid to do the job as better than a fan who does it for free.

Baubles: The first DVD comes out in November. The DVDs will be released monthly after that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:32 pm
zephyrkitty
caffeine add!ction

I'm going to respond specifically to your comments, since you seem misinformed on a few points.

First, you've obviously never seen Bandai Visual's prices. The cheapest DVD thay've put out was $20 for one episode, no dub and a concert (and from what I hear, there's more concert footage than there is anime). They're usually more around $40-50 for two episodes, again with no dub. ...That's an entirely different discussion, though, and to be honest they're the exception, not the rule. Most companies will charge about $30 for bilingual DVDs (up to about $40 with a box, the prices vary more with additional pack-ins), and Media Blasters charges closer to $20 for a subtitled-only release.

Back on the Death Note DVDs, there's going to be a standard version of each DVD for $25 (cheaper than many bilingual anime DVDs, and that's before it's been discounted by various stores) and a special edition of each for $40 that comes with a figure (the price in the first post is off; Viz has it for $40). Checking online helps a lot; RightStuf has the standard versions listed for $19 and the special versions for $30, and I'm pretty sure other places will carry them for lower prices, as well.

If the Ebay DVDs work in a normal DVD player, they're bootlegs. The only authentic Death Note DVDs out right now are the Japanese ones, and they would only work on a regionless DVD player and probably don't have subtitles. I also don't think they've gotten to episode 30 in the DVD releases, although I could be wrong.

The price of the official DVDs are expensive, yes, but you have to pay more to get authentic DVDs. Personally, I'd rather have the official DVDs and pay more, but I know there are people on both sides of that debate. Also, I've never compared a fansub to a DVD release, so I'm not going to talk about the quality, although I'd definitely hold the translation of a professional who's been paid to do the job as better than a fan who does it for free.

Baubles: The first DVD comes out in November. The DVDs will be released monthly after that.

I don't even use a DVD player, I use a PS2 that's compatible with most regions. And like I said, I'm aware that mine are probably bootleg. But I'm not fussed. The picture quality is excellent, and so are the subtitles, save for the odd typo every couple of episodes. I'd rather buy good quality bootlegs as opposed to the officials for over twice the price. As far as translation goes, they're just as good as Kuro-hana's subs, which I thought were pretty damn good. It might be the cheap option, but I don't exactly have £100s free to spend on DVDs that I could get much cheaper and virtually the same quality.

caffeine add!ction

Undead Tolly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:17 pm
I can top that. I've got the entire series downloaded through torrents onto my computer. Picture quality is good, Subs only. I've burned the first 8 onto disk so far. As I watch them I'll clear them off my hard drive. I figure when I'm done I'll have about 10- 15 bucks invested in disks. rofl

Seriously though. I'll probably buy the Viz release when it comes out. I just hate that they'll be releasing them so slowly. They did the same thing with Eureka Seven and they still haven't finished that DVD series. I think their on disk 8 now.

At only 4 or 5 eps per disk it will be 2009 before the set it finally finished. crying Should I really spend around $200 for the whole set? Just to hear the Canadian voice actors?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:55 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I heard the DVD comes out this Nov. to the US...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

mshka

Big Member

Chocolate Parakeet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:41 pm
I actually bought the DVD yesterday.
It came with a key-chain and mini poster.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:51 pm
The Blue Shinobi Deidara
I actually bought the DVD yesterday.
It came with a key-chain and mini poster.

WHAT?! I knew it came with a figure, but a keychain as well? *loves keychains* I need to get it pretty soon.

A mini-poster is nice, too, although I almost never hang them up.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
[ANIME] - A place exclusively for the DN anime. Post anime-related threads here.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games