59%
 59%  [ 16 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 27

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:04 am
EDIT: I appologize for any inconvenience, but I will no longer be able to run this thread. =[

I am atheist. I would like to start out with that simple fact.

Is living as an atheist different than living as a Christian? Not much.

Many people are curious about things such as this. I would like to clear up any matters relating to atheism. Have you ever wondered what being atheist is like? Do atheists really believe there is no God, or are they simply trying to trick themselves into believing it so that they do not feel guilty if they do wrong?

I have been asked these questions and more. But is there anything you wonder about? I'd be glad to answer them. Please understand, I do not want to challenge your beliefs, nor try to stop you from beleiving in God. I believe that everyone should be allowed their own beliefs, whatever they may be. I respect this.

(If this topic is found innapropriate for the guild, I understand if it is deleted or locked or such. But try to have an open mind, and know that I respect your Christianity.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:33 pm
Welcome Eaten By Cheese! biggrin

I’m happy to see a new face here and answering questions about Atheism. I do hope everyone here will be educated rather than be on the offense in this topic. So, I will ask the first questions to get this topic going.

1. Do you consider yourself an agnostic?
2. What are your thoughts on Darwinism?
3. Do you see Christianity different from other religions?  

Metanoeo

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:08 pm
Thanks! I hope so too! (Oh yes, and you can call me Cheese.) mrgreen

1. Do you consider yourself an agnostic?

No. I did at one point--the majority of my life, in fact. I spent such a long time, wondering: is there a God? If so, will He guide me, show me that He truly does exist? Around the time I turned fourteen, however, things changed. I began to do research. I found out all I could about what it was like to be Jewish or Christian. I have to say, there was a point in time when I tried to bring my self to believe in God as a Christian, but when it came to religion, things just didn't fit together. I still found myself awake at night, wondering, asking God, once more, to show me He was there for me. I felt like all I'd been doing was going around in circles--after all I'd done to try to give myself faith, here I was again, with the same questions, and several more to top it off. I realized this wasn't working. I simply could not bring myself to believe. It was at that point when I began more research; this time, on atheism. I wasn't too sure about it, as it seemed like a belief in God would be so much more comforting than a lack of belief. But everything I discover seemed to fit, and I couldn't deny it any longer: I no longer believed there was a God. As suddenly as this realization had come, life seemed to take on a newfound importance. No longer did I feel I had to do good to get into heaven and save my soul from brimstone. Now I could do good because I could, not because I should. Each person's purpose was to try to leave behind a better world than might have existed without their presence; it was here and now, not some far-off future after death. I can truthfully say the skies felt clearer to me, my spirit lifted. Now I do not rule out the possibility of God completely, but for now, I do not believe in His existence. There are two kinds of atheist -- those who say that there is no god, and those who say they don't have sufficient reason to believe in a god. I am of the latter sort.

2. What are your thoughts on Darwinism?

There are several aspects to Darwinism, so I'm not quite sure what your question intends, but I'll do my best to answer it. The main point of Darwinism is Evolution, and so therefore this is what I shall center my answer on.

The evolution part of Darwinism is basically Natural Selection applied to a long period of time with the inevitability of genetic mutations and a changing habitat. I believe in DNA, and therefore in Evolution. Some may believe that humans didn't evolve from anything and were created by God, but it can't be refuted that if they have enough time, a species will change and evolve.

3. Do you see Christianity different from other religions?

In some ways, yes, in others, no. The essence is the same--the belief in a greater being. Religious practices and beliefs vary from religion to religion, and so the lifestyle of someone from one religion may differ from that of a person from a seperate religion. I've also found that some religions are more set in their beliefs of certain subjects than others. But in the end, it's still the essence of the religion that counts most.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:16 pm
welcome, but I do have something to add, you said that in time a species WILL evolve, I have a site, that may answer some questions, for I do not believe evolution is possiable, as do these people, I have met with one of their professors, who was in fact an athiest, but he came to christianity after doing research, it is not just faith that holds me to God, but fact! found here ( http://www.creationontheweb.com ) and books I own, please read if you have time, thanks! and welcome again!  

Etherealemblem

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:18 pm
Etherealemblem
welcome, but I do have something to add, you said that in time a species WILL evolve, I have a site, that may answer some questions, for I do not believe evolution is possiable, as do these people, I have met with one of their professors, who was in fact an athiest, but he came to christianity after doing research, it is not just faith that holds me to God, but fact! found here ( http://www.creationontheweb.com ) and books I own, please read if you have time, thanks! and welcome again!
Certainly! I'll read it right now!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:50 pm
MY question would be, are you a hard or soft atheist?  

ioioouiouiouio

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:54 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor

sooo........atheists are like eggs? yum! sooo...if you're running away from someone, you're scrambled? blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:18 pm

I am, quite simply, a scrambled egg.

Just kidding. mrgreen

I'm a soft atheist.

For those that do not know: Soft Atheist is a term used to refer to a person who simply has no belief in a deity because there are no rational grounds that support his/her/their existence.

I'll be getting to that evolution post in just a minute, Etherealemblem. Sorry it's taking a bit--I was at dinner. 3nodding

Eaten By Cheese

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:30 pm
Alas, I must go to my truckle bed, tommorow, if you would be here, I would wish to continue this conversation, t'would bring me great joy, goodnight, see thee in the morrow! fairest of wells!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:02 pm
Etherealemblem

The first step to understanding an article is to break it down into the main points. So I have done so:

-Autopoiesis refers to the unique ability of a living organism to continually repair and maintain itself, ultimately to the point of reproducie itself, simply by using energy and raw materials from its environment.

True. However, as Darwin has proved, should the environment change, the organism will, as well. This organism will continue to be able to repair and maintain itself, regardless of what physical changes may occur. An organism still has the ability to evolve, no matter whether or not it is able to go through autopoiesis.

...“self-making” is not reducible to the laws of physics and chemistry.

By saying this, they are, as the phrase goes, 'shooting themself in the foot'. To say that "self-making" is not reducible to these laws is to say that there is no scientific explanation for "self-making". Without scientific explanation, the only explanation possible is "because". Which, is not all that convincing.

Eaten By Cheese

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 pm
Etherealemblem
Alas, I must go to my truckle bed, tommorow, if you would be here, I would wish to continue this conversation, t'would bring me great joy, goodnight, see thee in the morrow! fairest of wells!

Fairest of wells to you, too! Adieu! Sleep well! =]

I'll be here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:38 am
I await thee, if thou comest whithin 3 hours or so, I may still be here, for tis Canada Day here, and the celebrations are amuck! and I shall attend, free food doth make mine heart leap and dance!  

Etherealemblem

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:54 am
Canada.. Gotta love that place.

-waves- 'Ello!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:29 am
PS: are you a girl as the siggy says? sweatdrop , just wondering, and yes! the TRUE north! I live in it's north, subarctic, snow abound!, winter is all around!  

Etherealemblem

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:32 am
Yeps I am! This is my side account, and I figured I might as well make it a boy. 3nodding

I've only been to Canada once. I can't remember it much, but it certainly sounds cold!

So let us further our conversation.

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces