Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Campaigning IRL

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:10 pm
(I know Kukushka has a great (and inspiring wink ) topic on getting active for the upcoming '06 elections, but I wanted to make this one specifically for pro-choice activism in general.)

A while back Veled posted a PCG merchandise suggestion topic, and I'm sure you've all seen the amazing Operation Black Fetus campaign. However, I'd like to collect some information on activism and campaigning IRL. In this post I'll offer up my own knowledge as well as ask for some.

For starters, we should get educated (if we aren't already) on issues surrounding abortion and abortion itself. Our own Library of Logic is filled with excellent sources and information. It's also a good idea to get a gauge on the current standing of abortion rights in your country, state and/or community.

Now, what can we do to protest/campaign? I'd LOVE for people to post information on this, as I don't know much about actually organizing a campaign or a protest. It would be especially helpful if we could find stuff for college students specifically, as well as for minors, as there are many of both in this guild. Just posting ideas is great, too. biggrin

Contributed:

Pandora Box
1. Pick something to protest. If that's not applicable, Pick the right time. If there's a crisis pregnancy center (CPC) in your town, you could protest that. If not, pick a time for a general pro-choice support rally. Maybe a week after a politician gives a speech supporting the pro-life cause, after there is a pro-life protest, etc. Make sure it's not just randomly timed.

2. Pick the place. If the protest is in direct response to something, you may want to do it near that place. So if it's in reponse to a CPC, do it there or close by (you will have to check in with this -- if it's a private organization, it's their property, but sidewalks are public property, so you could do it there). If it's a general protest, you could do it in a park or something similar.

3. Get plenty of people involved. You don't want to look pathetic, do you? xp There's nothing worse than a carefully-planned protest that only turns out a few people. Contact people you know, have them contact others, and so on. If there's some kind of group, message board, etc. for people in your area, post in there. You may even try to get people in neighboring towns. Make sure a good amount of people will be there.

4. Define your main purpose. It's going to be pro-choice, but maybe you want something more specific. Like I mentioned before, it may be in protest of a CPC, a new law passed, etc.

5. Get informed! In case there are news reporters there, you do not want to look stupid. Make sure everyone involved knows AT LEAST the basics, and then pick a few more people to be really informed, to be the representative of sorts. Besides being ready for news reporters, this might help with swaying people to your side.

6. Materials are important. Firstly, you want signs. What's a protest without signs? Make your signs catchy and to-the-point. You don't want them to be too long, because people aren't going to stop in the middle of the road to read your signs. You went them long enough to make the point, but short enough that someone can read them as they're passing. Secondly, print up information sheets. You can pass these out to people who are interested (and they can also help you if you forget something).

7. Call the news stations. They like protests. They get a story, and you get more coverage. It's a win-win situation. Check to see if anyone involved knows someone involved with news, because you may get a better story that way.

8. Do the protest! This is self-explanatory.

Kukushka
Contact your city hall. They may have special areas reserved for protests. They may also be able to offer protection/anti-riot control if you are planning a large protest (things always have the potential to get out of control when there are a lot of people in one place). And who knows? They may even stop traffic and give you a street.

My sister-in-law is a singer and has had to deal with reporters quite a number of times. Something she told me a while ago that I think applies very well here is that reporters (especially if they disagree with you) will TRY to make you look bad. They will do this through a number of means. Picking and choosing what they quote, being a major one. Pictures are also a biggy. If they can isolate an image of you with your face contorted and angry/ugly-looking, they will. Look at the front page of newspapers and you will see what I mean.

This doesn't mean that you should panic or anything. Simply be aware that this is a possibility. Do not get overly offended or upset if this happens to you. It is part of the "business" (so to speak). There are some things you can do. If you plan ahead "just in case" you are interviewed, you can pick apart your speech and see if there's any way it can be distorted. You can also watch yourself speak in a mirror and see if there's a way you can avoid appearing crazy if freeze-framed.

Mostly - just keep in mind that this may be done to you.

Images are REALLY good. We've all heard the old adage "a picture is worth a thousand words." You don't want ONLY pictures, though. Try to have some variety. A few catchy slogans, a few images, and then you have have a few with longer text (not *too* long, but say the equivalent of a full sentence).

Also, remember that "sign" doesn't always mean a piece of cardboard at the end of a stick. A sign can also be a banner (say, held by jointly by those marching/standing in the front row), a t-shirt, a hat, those things people wear... they are like two boards with straps and you wear them a bit like a shirt... whatever they are called.

Be creative. I would venture that the more variety you have, the better.

Encourage people to bring their own, but have many extra signs (and shirts if you want) available.

Definitely. A lot of people are scared, they figure that the news people are "too busy" to worry about them. But it couldn't be further from the truth. News stations LOVE protests. Call as many news stations (TV, radio, newspaper) as you can. Try to contact at least all of your local news media.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:50 pm
I've recently applied as a volunteer at Planned Parenthood and I am waiting for them to get back to me (*fingers crossed*).  

Akhakhu

Asexual-Slut~Enya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:00 pm
Kukushka
I've recently applied as a volunteer at Planned Parenthood and I am waiting for them to get back to me (*fingers crossed*).

I'll cross my fingers with you, too. *Crosses fingers*

I have a friend who volunteers at the PP headquarters for the Heartland region, and from what I have heard, you will probably have a terrific time -- watch out for picketers, though, and don't get involved. wink

And, for what it is worth, I would totally 'hire' (or, whatever you do when you enlist the aid of volunteers) you. I bet you'll do great.

As far as active volunteerism, I am not very good at such things either, I am afraid; however, it never hurts to contact your local representatives. Do your research first, though -- you want to show your representative that you are informed about politics and care about the issue deeply.

If they support your cause, offer words of encouragement -- politics can be frustrating and it is your best interest to offer your representative support and, if they stray a little, some constructive criticism.

If they do not support your cause, you can still contact them about changing policy. I would not advise, however, taking the spit/vinegar approach that many of us take in the ED -- it is tempting to shred their logic to shreds; but, that pretty much ensures that these people will not listen to you. Be gentle, but firm. Do you support something else they do well? Offer them praise in that reguard and then proceed to offer constructive criticism.

Don't expect to receive a letter back, and don't be discouraged. I would also encourage you to get your friends involved if they have interest.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:29 pm
Kukushka

*crosses fingers for you with you* I'm volunteering with Kinky Friedman's campaign right now, but after the elections are over, I'm definitely going to apply to volunteer at PP.

I've only organized two protests -- one in support of a gay-straight alliance and one against Ringling Bros. But I suppose organizing a pro-choice protest/support rally wouldn't be too much different, and I might be of some help. =)

There's really a few basic steps to organizing a protest/rally.

1. Pick something to protest. If that's not applicable, Pick the right time. If there's a crisis pregnancy center (CPC) in your town, you could protest that. If not, pick a time for a general pro-choice support rally. Maybe a week after a politician gives a speech supporting the pro-life cause, after there is a pro-life protest, etc. Make sure it's not just randomly timed.

2. Pick the place. If the protest is in direct response to something, you may want to do it near that place. So if it's in reponse to a CPC, do it there or close by (you will have to check in with this -- if it's a private organization, it's their property, but sidewalks are public property, so you could do it there). If it's a general protest, you could do it in a park or something similar.

3. Get plenty of people involved. You don't want to look pathetic, do you? xp There's nothing worse than a carefully-planned protest that only turns out a few people. Contact people you know, have them contact others, and so on. If there's some kind of group, message board, etc. for people in your area, post in there. You may even try to get people in neighboring towns. Make sure a good amount of people will be there.

4. Define your main purpose. It's going to be pro-choice, but maybe you want something more specific. Like I mentioned before, it may be in protest of a CPC, a new law passed, etc.

5. Get informed! In case there are news reporters there, you do not want to look stupid. Make sure everyone involved knows AT LEAST the basics, and then pick a few more people to be really informed, to be the representative of sorts. Besides being ready for news reporters, this might help with swaying people to your side.

6. Materials are important. Firstly, you want signs. What's a protest without signs? Make your signs catchy and to-the-point. You don't want them to be too long, because people aren't going to stop in the middle of the road to read your signs. You went them long enough to make the point, but short enough that someone can read them as they're passing. Secondly, print up information sheets. You can pass these out to people who are interested (and they can also help you if you forget something).

7. Call the news stations. They like protests. They get a story, and you get more coverage. It's a win-win situation. Check to see if anyone involved knows someone involved with news, because you may get a better story that way.

8. Do the protest! This is self-explanatory.  

Pandora Box

Lord Setar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 pm
I'm thinking of counter-protesting outside a local crisis pregnancy center. It's in a VERY busy part of Vancouver - Granville and West 8th. I'm going to have stuff on abortion and contraceptives and such, dangers of pregnancy, etc. However, I only really have one other person willing to help me ><  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:02 pm
Asexual-Slut~Enya
And, for what it is worth, I would totally 'hire' (or, whatever you do when you enlist the aid of volunteers) you. I bet you'll do great.

They had a form, though. I hate application forms. It stiffles creativity and makes me so "one of the crowd." I have NEVER been denied a job that I either submitted a resume for or showed up in person. But I have YET to get a call back on a job that had a required application form.

Pandora Box

I want to add -

Contact your city hall. They may have special areas reserved for protests. They may also be able to offer protection/anti-riot control if you are planning a large protest (things always have the potential to get out of control when there are a lot of people in one place). And who knows? They may even stop traffic and give you a street.

Pandora Box

My sister-in-law is a singer and has had to deal with reporters quite a number of times. Something she told me a while ago that I think applies very well here is that reporters (especially if they disagree with you) will TRY to make you look bad. They will do this through a number of means. Picking and choosing what they quote, being a major one. Pictures are also a biggy. If they can isolate an image of you with your face contorted and angry/ugly-looking, they will. Look at the front page of newspapers and you will see what I mean.

This doesn't mean that you should panic or anything. Simply be aware that this is a possibility. Do not get overly offended or upset if this happens to you. It is part of the "business" (so to speak). There are some things you can do. If you plan ahead "just in case" you are interviewed, you can pick apart your speech and see if there's any way it can be distorted. You can also watch yourself speak in a mirror and see if there's a way you can avoid appearing crazy if freeze-framed.

Mostly - just keep in mind that this may be done to you.

Pandora Box
Firstly, you want signs.

Images are REALLY good. We've all heard the old adage "a picture is worth a thousand words." You don't want ONLY pictures, though. Try to have some variety. A few catchy slogans, a few images, and then you have have a few with longer text (not *too* long, but say the equivalent of a full sentence).

Also, remember that "sign" doesn't always mean a piece of cardboard at the end of a stick. A sign can also be a banner (say, held by jointly by those marching/standing in the front row), a t-shirt, a hat, those things people wear... they are like two boards with straps and you wear them a bit like a shirt... whatever they are called.

Be creative. I would venture that the more variety you have, the better.

Encourage people to bring their own, but have many extra signs (and shirts if you want) available.

Pandora Box

Definitely. A lot of people are scared, they figure that the news people are "too busy" to worry about them. But it couldn't be further from the truth. News stations LOVE protests. Call as many news stations (TV, radio, newspaper) as you can. Try to contact at least all of your local news media.

Thanks for all the crossed fingers!  

Akhakhu

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:45 pm
Thanks guys. whee Added to the first post.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:46 pm
Kukushka
Asexual-Slut~Enya

They had a form, though. I hate application forms. It stiffles creativity and makes me so "one of the crowd." I have NEVER been denied a job that I either submitted a resume for or showed up in person. But I have YET to get a call back on a job that had a required application form.

I was not even aware that such practices still took place. That is a fairly outdated tactic they are using, and you are right, it does stifle creativity and does not allow your personality to shine through. And, since you are probably going to be working with people (even those in financial resources still have some contact with others) it is important that the person they 'hire' is an effective communicator -- that isn't something you can guage from a short form. *Keeps crossing fingers*  

Asexual-Slut~Enya

Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff