Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yi Min

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:44 pm
More than 5,000 signed petition saying they are unashamed of decision

Quote:
New York - At a pivotal time in the abortion debate, Ms. magazine is releasing its fall issue next week with a cover story titled “We Had Abortions,” accompanied by the names of thousands of women nationwide who signed a petition making that declaration.

I think it is great that this magazine is showing that abortion isn't just about a fetus. It's about women. And not just women who regret their choices, but women who DO NOT regret their choices.

What do you guys/gals think?
Would you have signed (given the chance) this petition if you had an abortion?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:58 pm
I'd have signed under an alias because i'd want to sign but not want to be so public about it as it is a private decision and choice...  

Electric Kool-Aid

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:04 pm
Yahh, I definitely woulda signed...

But I've never had an abortion. Maybe I should just to get pregnant just to be able to sign!

I LOVE that idea. I mean, with all those people yelling that women are gonna go ter hell, it's nice to stand up and shout, "YO THERE, are we supposed to be cowering and weeping or something? What was that you said about depression? I'm still WAITING!"

KUDOS! *claps*

Hey, where can I get that issue?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:47 pm
I would not have signed. While I would not feel any shame in having had an abortion, I would no more declare my abortion to the murderous "religious" population than I would declare my atheism in a room full of al queda extremists with guns (I mean I'd have it bad enough being a woman in such a crowd).

I do not want some deranged holy warrior hunting me down and killing me (which is the only christ-like thing to do) to get vengeance for the almighty fetus. I'd rather not make a target of myself like that.  

Talon-chan

Akhakhu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:12 pm
While I think that it's great that they are giving the fact that many women DO NOT regret their abortions so much coverage, I have to worry about the reprocussions of having a list of names like that. I feel that it opens those women up to a lot of dangers. Like Talon, I feel that it's like painting a big "shoot here" sign on all these women.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:41 am
I would most definitely sign that petition if I had aborted. Swearing off reproduction in the name of born people is not something to be ashamed of. I also don't want to live my life in fear of a bunch of crazy antis because I solved a problem that they were willing to siggest solutions but never act on my behalf. As much as I dislike martyrdom, I wish to live how I wish and not how some anti wants me to live - especially if they expect me to live in fear.  

Half Baked SF

Iseult Shadowqueen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:32 am
I think I would have signed. I'd like to show the anti-choicers that argue all women who have abortions regret them that that is a blatant falsehood, but at the same time, I doubt I'd use my real name, like Heiwa, and I don't wish to become a target  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:13 am
I would have signed it. I think it's wonderful someone is finally trying to show everyone abortion isn't just about the fetus. It's not all about regret, heartache, hate, and guilt.

Getting an abortion was the most loving and responsible choice I ever made. I wouldn't have been able to support the baby financially or emotionally. I would have resented the father if I would have been forced to give birth to it. I would have resented the child, too, which I hate to admit.

ChemicalSoiree

Asexual-Slut~Enya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:29 am
That is a wonderful list.

I am not entirely certain if I would sign it or not -- future employers might be able to unbury the past and, if they are pro-life, may choose to "accidentally" overlook my otherwise good credentials (I would hope they are good, anyway).

That said, I obviously have no reason to worry about ever being in a situation where I would consider signing that particular list. I still think it is a helpful tool, showing women that they don't have to be ashamed for not feeling, well, shame for their abortion.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:46 pm
If I had actually had an abortion I would consider signing if it weren't for the religious extremists with murderious intentions. Odd. They aren't pro-life then, are they?  

TheDemonNurse

Lupine Pyrefly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:57 pm
I'd sign under an alias.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:45 pm
I'd sign under alias too. I'm freaking paranoid about people coming into my house, I don't know what kind of state I'd push myself into if I publicly declared having done something that some people would kill to avenge for. Paranoia problems FTL. sweatdrop  

[Ernie]

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm
Oh yeah: Look! Found this in my newspaper.

Regarding the list,

Quote:
You could practically feel the evil jumping off the page!

...By some anti-choicer.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:10 pm
[Ernie]
I'd sign under alias too. I'm freaking paranoid about people coming into my house, I don't know what kind of state I'd push myself into if I publicly declared having done something that some people would kill to avenge for. Paranoia problems FTL. sweatdrop

They can't, its against the law. I don't think they would anyway, because hurting you is as bad as hurting a baby (which they're saying you did). They tend to stick to the Clinics who did them, demonstrating outside from what I've seen. I don't know where you are from, and some of them are pretty f'n crazy. They're hypocritical, too, but I don't know to what level.  

ChemicalSoiree

La Sabre

8,800 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Here is a poll on the list. 49% of the voters think it's a bad idea. If you can go vote and say it's a great idea.  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff