Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Anime, Manga, & Video Game Discussion
Let's Talk Anime Food!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:45 pm
Have you ever wanted to try making a recipe from an anime/manga/game?

Or been curious to try a food/drink you saw?

Let's talk about all of it!

I want to try some of the recipes from Food Wars and Emiya's Family Menu. Since they also made it a game, I'm curious to try it!

I recently started watching Delicious in Dungeon and it makes me wonder what some real-world counter part ingredients would be!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:46 pm
There are some writers who make books about how to make those dishes. There are also youtubers who do it too.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:58 pm
angelmage99
There are some writers who make books about how to make those dishes. There are also youtubers who do it too.

Yeah! I love that there's so many sources. For series that don't already provide an actual recipe, I love seeing everyone's different takes on dishes.

Are there any anime foods you would totally try if you could pluck it off the screen?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:14 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu

Yeah! I love that there's so many sources. For series that don't already provide an actual recipe, I love seeing everyone's different takes on dishes.

Are there any anime foods you would totally try if you could pluck it off the screen?

I really like cooking so I don't so much as wish to try them as I just go and make them or if it's something like candy then go and buy them.

I live 2 1/2 hours from the nearest Asian store, but it's kind of on the way to my in-law's house so when I visit I stock up. Before that I make a goal on what I want to make and then learn how to make it. Like look up recipes.

My next goal is to learn to make scallion pancakes. They're really nice to add to my husbands lunches. My hubby also wants me to learn to make Pho and spring rolls. He even joked and say that I'm crappy at western dishes, but oddly good at Asian dishes.

This last year I've practice making chicken banh mi's and Pad Thai. The last two years I've learned to do tonkatsu, homemade sushi, and curry puffs. Legit I just eat it at a restaurant and then go and make it later.

When I went to Japan I had a bucket list of food I wanted to eat. I swear I've never had good ramen in the last 14 years because the best one was in Japan. I had konpeto since it was what the Chihiro had in spirited away, I had croquettes and sandwichs and all kids of things I saw in TV shows while I was there.

I try to pick a place to try everytime I'm in Salt Lake City. Try something new at least.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:31 am
The Guild years ago wanted to create an Anime cookbook. It didn't go over well but I think that it's worth looking into again. We could have in the cookbook recipes from Anime and or Video games. Also it would be interesting to create recipes based on what we think certain characters would like. At some point members could try making the items at home.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:58 pm
angelmage99
I really like cooking so I don't so much as wish to try them as I just go and make them or if it's something like candy then go and buy them.

I live 2 1/2 hours from the nearest Asian store, but it's kind of on the way to my in-law's house so when I visit I stock up. Before that I make a goal on what I want to make and then learn how to make it. Like look up recipes.

My next goal is to learn to make scallion pancakes. They're really nice to add to my husbands lunches. My hubby also wants me to learn to make Pho and spring rolls. He even joked and say that I'm crappy at western dishes, but oddly good at Asian dishes.

This last year I've practice making chicken banh mi's and Pad Thai. The last two years I've learned to do tonkatsu, homemade sushi, and curry puffs. Legit I just eat it at a restaurant and then go and make it later.

When I went to Japan I had a bucket list of food I wanted to eat. I swear I've never had good ramen in the last 14 years because the best one was in Japan. I had konpeto since it was what the Chihiro had in spirited away, I had croquettes and sandwichs and all kids of things I saw in TV shows while I was there.

I try to pick a place to try everytime I'm in Salt Lake City. Try something new at least.

Oof! That's quite a long way to drive for ingredients! I don't see much South-East Asian food in anime, but that's great that you've learned to make so much of it! A lot of it is comfort food to me since I grew up around it a lot. I still love to get pho if I'm feeling under the weather or a bahn mi if I'm in a rush for lunch lol.

I find it so interesting how some western food (croquettes, hambagu, etc.) ends up having its own fusion spin and becoming super popular in anime! But then, actually trying it, it all has its own twists or changes in preparation. Growing up in a mix-culture family makes me appreciate fusion foods like that

smithers456
The Guild years ago wanted to create an Anime cookbook. It didn't go over well but I think that it's worth looking into again. We could have in the cookbook recipes from Anime and or Video games. Also it would be interesting to create recipes based on what we think certain characters would like. At some point members could try making the items at home.

That sounds like a pretty fun idea! It would be cool to see people's cooking creativity, as well as hear how good some recipes turn out if they do try them from animes/youtubers/etc. Could even try making different drinks (doesn't have to be alcoholic. there's so many delicious mocktail style drinks and channels out there nowadays)  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:58 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu

I'm just lucky there are options to make most food. Daikon is avaliable to find here. Same with soy sauce, panko, and most basic pieces. I have most everything my pantry at the moment. We run mostly out of Furikake and Tonkatsu sauce.

I've tried to make croquettes, but so far have failed on that. There was a really good restaurant just of my university that I went to (at first, didn't finish there). Their croquettes were amazing.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:22 am
I used to do bento back in like 2012-2014, all because anime food looked so frickin good I had to try it. That was back when bento was more niche and supplies were harder to find, and now bento boxes are either huge or overpriced or both despite the number of options available... but I have been thinking about getting back into it, bc that anime food is still scrumptious looking...  

Koetto

Original Gaian

9,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Guildmember 100

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:16 am
Koetto
I used to do bento back in like 2012-2014, all because anime food looked so frickin good I had to try it. That was back when bento was more niche and supplies were harder to find, and now bento boxes are either huge or overpriced or both despite the number of options available... but I have been thinking about getting back into it, bc that anime food is still scrumptious looking...

I can agree on two things. Japanese food is amazing (I've been to Japan) and Bento boxes are over-priced here in the states.

That being said if you can get to a Daiso store here in the US there are some pretty reasonabily priced supplies.  
Anime, Manga, & Video Game Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games