Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Which RPGs have you played? Which do you want to play?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

questionsleep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:06 pm
Besides the namesake of this guild,
I have played in several different game systems and settings, and am always excited to learn about new and different ones.

[align=center][b]Which systems or settings have you played? What did you like and dislike about them?[/b][/align]
[i]Like:[/i]
[i]Dislike:[/i]
[align=center][b]Which do you want to play? What is appealing about them?[/b][/align]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm
Which systems or settings have you played? What did you like and dislike about them?

D&D 5E, Faerun with Phandelver, and a few homebrew worlds
I've ran 5E and it's a nightmare to sustain long-term. The GM side is too convoluted to prepare for, too much ambiguity outside of combat. It is only good as a combat simulator. I could see one-shots now-and-then being fun. If I'm going to play this kind of game, I'd love to play Dungeon Crawl Classics.
Like: Customization, familiarity
Dislike: Battles take forever, most people run it as a tactical combat simulator. The rules are wholly focused on combat. Why does a battle take 2 hours, but a social encounter is resolved in one roll? 5E has conditioned people to play like twitchy scared cats because of traps. It's a poisonous mindset which doesn't really work in other systems. We should be excited to open a new door, not afraid to open doors.

Dungeon World, homebrew world
Like: 2d6 resolution mechanic. Regularity and narrative focus instead of level up power creep minmax. Once you know the game, you'll have a hard time stopping yourself from thinking in terms of Dungeon World afterward.
Dislike: The rulebook is weirdly written, so it's hard for a new GM to grasp it at first. It is still limited by it's scope of dungeon crawling, so it's not -as good- for an intrigue or city game.

Everyone is John
You are all voices in John's head. You each have 10 "hp" tokens to spend, to make your own goals happen and to seize control to "win" with the most goals completed.
Like: Perfect one shot system. Fast and loose. Anybody can play, including mom and non-spergs.
Dislike: It's hard to dislike something this simple. I recommend prefacing your game with the caveat of No Murder.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Maze of the Blue Medusa
LotFP is just another OSR game among many. They are all very similar mechanically. I could see trying it again some day, with a different kind of game. MotBM was incredible though, not your usual megadungeon. I loved going into a room with a bush and that was it, but we spent an hour investigating.
Like: The fragility of your character and necessity of creative solutions. I liked rolling 3d6 straight down the line for stats, and owning the results. I appreciate the "rulings, not rules"
Dislike: I didn't like having guns and hirelings. The GM ran the module and rules as-written, so random encounters all the time was boring.

Index Card RPG, homebrew world
Like: Simplified d20. Target Numbers instead of DC (aka "Room DC" ). Loot as progression instead of levels and experience. Theater of the mind works great. It gives you the tools to create your own stuff, including monsters, equipment, classes, etc., instead of flooding you with crap you don't use or need. ICRPG is first a GM guide, and a usable system second. Prep is made easy thanks to usable guides.
Dislike: The community is insular, so the game isn't growing. The creator is a one-man operation, so he doesn't know how to market his game well.

Pokérole, homebrew region
Pokérole is a Pokémon RPG, using a dice pool system. I had a dream of a Pokémon RPG for a while, so finally I ran Pokérole game for a few months. Turns out this system is not the right one for me. Learned a lot though, and have begun work on my own simplified narrative-driven Pokémon RPG.
Like: Pokémon
Dislike: Simulationist Pokémon RPGs don't work. Too hard to GM for. Imagine a D&D game where each character controlls six different other characters, each with their own hundreds of customization options.

Numenera
I have been playing in a Numenera game for a few months and am digging it so far. Numenera is one of several Cypher System games.
Like: The character creation and sheet are some of the coolest I've ever done. The lore is incredible, a kind of fantasy scifi. Largely you want to collect and use items, all with unique effects. The earth has been remade 9 times, over the course of milllions of years, and all the old stuff is still left over for you to find. "Magic" is really just high technology. The mechanisms of the game revolve around this concept of Pools for your three stats: Might, Speed, Intellect. Spend those to do cool things. If you run out of all those, you die.
Dislike: It's somewhat unnecessarily convoluted. You play to explore the world, instead of your character, so it still suffers the usual downside of all d20: Less character motivation or history.

Numenera and Dungeon Crawl Classics both work well as games which you actively use the book during play to give you cool fictional toys to play with.

Which do you want to play? What is appealing about them?

Burning Wheel
Basically the ultimate RPG. Character creation is robust and makes it easy to roleplay and GM. The mechanisms are flexible, and can allow an entire conflict to be resolved in a few rolls, instead of nitpicking granularity. The only downside is that you are kind of bound by the in-built setting, and that the full rules are dense, though there is a usable and recommended quickstart. I could see running/playing in a single Burning Wheel campaign for like 20 years.
See also: Mouse Guard, Torchbearer

Genesys
Specifically I want to try the upcoming Android sourcebook, which is a cyberpunk setting. But I also want to learn Genesys as a system neutral shell to apply to many settings.

Shadowrun
Except without the ridiculous rules. I love the setting and lore! I have a bunch of Shadowrun boardgames.

Men in Black
Just as a setting and premise, I think it lends itself easily to quest-based gameplay. You are part of a secret international organization dedicated to policing alien life on this planet.

Also curious about:
13th Age, FATE, Chuubo's, Far Away Land, Lady Blackbird, Legend of the Five Rings, Mage: The Awakening, Microscope, One Roll Engine, Vampire: The Masquerade
and endless homebrew niche stuff

Themes of interest:
Cyberpunk, western, pirates, scifi, Pokémon, Digimon, Nintendo, Castlevania, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek. Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Planescape.

I ran out of steam sperging out about all this, but I have plenty to say. Feel free to ask questions.  

questionsleep

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm
There are a lot of Legend of the Five Rings players in here so you might be able to join in a game with them or start your own.

Most of the other games being ran right now are 4ed D&D.

I don't think there are any opening recruiting games right now but if you wanted to try running your own there is usually enough people to get a game off the ground.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm
2nd ed AD&D
3.5 D&D
4e D&D
5e D&D heart
Pathfinder
Traveler heart
Legend of the Five Rings (Though I was in way over my head)
Shadowrun 2e heart
Shadowrun 4e
Shadowrun 5e
Open Legend heart
A Time of War
FATE heart
Dresden FATE
Dungeon Crawler Classics heart
ANIMA (OMG SO MANY ******** RULES)
Mutants and Masterminds 3e heart
Fiasco
Gamma World
Savage Worlds
Call of Cthulu
Vampire the Masquerade 1st
Vampire the Masquerade 2nd
Vampire the Masquerade BNS heart heart
Vampire the Masquerade 5th
Werewolf the Apocalypse BNS heart heart
Vampire the Requiem heart
Vampire the Requiem 2nd ed
Mage the Awakening heart
Mage the Awakening 2nd ed
Geist the Sin Eaters heart heart heart heart
Changling the Lost heart
Changling the Lost 2nd ed
Hunter the Vigil
Hunter the Reckoning
Mummy the Resurrected
Beast the Primordial
Paranoia heart heart
SCION heart heart heart
D20 Modern heart  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 pm
Short answer, Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, and 4e and Pathfinder.

Long answer, most of my gaming experience comes from this guild. And the three aforementioned have been the most played here. Beyond them, I have also played; some West End games and a great deal of Palladium ones. (I don't know, if I should add 5e, L5R, or Scion. Those games died soon after I joined.)

To me, the setting means more than the system. A modern fantasy or Post-apocalypse setting, like those found in shows like The Gifted, Dresden Files, Charmed, and Walking Dead, will have a preference above a typical knight vs dragon dungeon crawl one. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 am
Which systems or settings have you played? What did you like and dislike about them?

Systems I have played. In no particular order (If it has a C, I played it at a Convention)
Dread ( c )
D&D 5e
Pathfinder
Kobolds Ate My Baby Roleplaying Game ( c )
Shadowrun 4e and 5e ( c )
InSpectres ( c ) (Honestly don't remember this system, but according to Warhorn, I played it)
The Ultimate Hero by Paragon Notion ( c ) (I play this game every time I'm on at the Con)
Pits & Perils ( c )
Buffy The Vampire Slayer ( c )
Torg Eternity ( c )
Victorious (c )
Spheres of Power ( c )
Clerics ( c ) (This game to so much fun)
Monster of the Week ( c ) I would love to play this again!
Mutants and Masterminds.
Like:
Dislike:

I would love to play me some Monster of the Week, Torg Eternity, Clerics, Ultimate Hero, and Kobolds ate my baby. Mutants and masterminds would be cool, but yeah...  

Youroka Kage

Devoted Guildswoman

16,240 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Cool Cat 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:51 pm
Youroka Kage

Excuse me, they what?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:31 am
Rain Yupa
Youroka Kage

Excuse me, they what?

They ate the Baby.

It's an interesting system where low rolls are actually better than high ones. Also, these aren't lizard kobolds, they are fluffy ones.  

Youroka Kage

Devoted Guildswoman

16,240 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Cool Cat 500

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 pm
Youroka Kage
Rain Yupa
Youroka Kage

Excuse me, they what?

They ate the Baby.

It's an interesting system where low rolls are actually better than high ones. Also, these aren't lizard kobolds, they are fluffy ones.

I have to know, was it in a single galp?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:20 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
Youroka Kage
Rain Yupa
Youroka Kage

Excuse me, they what?

They ate the Baby.

I have to know, was it in a single galp?

I personally didn't get to. I was run over by a car.  

Youroka Kage

Devoted Guildswoman

16,240 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Cool Cat 500

Crafty Psych

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:50 pm

I have played a bunch of different TTRPGs. I've played multiple editions of D&D: v1 AD&D, 3.5e, 4e, and 5e. I have also played Pathfinder, Mutants and Masterminds, Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu, Emberwind, and For the Queen. There may be others, but I'm not sure.
What I like about TTRPGs, in general, is the collaborative storytelling with people. Rolling dice is a bonus because that is also a lot of fun (I have a decent collection and love getting new sets).

I can't think of any off the top of my head that I want to play that I haven't already tried. I usually play whatever piques my interest.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games