Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
evolving magic item creation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is this a good or bad idea?
  it is a good idea.
  i dont know or will not say if i like this idea or not.
  it is a bad idea.
View Results

cloud read

O.G. Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 pm
ok switching gears. hear is what i am going to do hear. i wand to start making magic items that evolve... well kinda it is more like being up-gradable.
but it would be not just like "oh i want to move this items magic over to this other one. more like "i can ether use method a and get this effect or i can go use b and get this other one".
much like a skill tree from rpg's. some item would be sentient or have the potential to do so. but have slightly different effect trees. so you might get an ability/effect from the tree but the item might have lied
to you because it dislikes you and it turns out it was not the one you wanted. or the item likes you. so it literally walks you threw how to get the effect. and gives you other advice like
how best to use it. now i was thinking each item should have effects that are both help full during its use and also a path that is a hindrance to its use. a good example might be a
candle holder or lantern that has a tree that branch a ends with the item gaining an ability to know when the owner can not see but wants to and lighting its self. or b a branch where
it lights first try but goes out at the worst time such as when it is being used to see as you disable a trap, suddenly plunging the user in darkness and forcing a perception check to
try and figure out where you wear on disabling the trap. or literally giving a 2 ta 3 turns in combat as blinded because the light went out and now your eyes need to adjust or forcing
blindness on the user. a tool kit that always/never has the tool your looking for. these are things that i would use as a base for the items but i would go further.
like with the tools might as you upgrade/unlock stuff the items you make get better like at 50% unlocked you get a +/- of 1 to your rolls when you use the kit if proficient it would be added after every thing else if it
was a + but a - would be added to your roll before you do any thing so getting your tolls right and such would be preferable. or the toll might add gold trim to the crafted item or in some other way improve the value of it.
so now onto my summery of what i want.

1. i want your help with ideas for evolving/up gradable.

2. items name (i will only provide the type of item not the name so i say gun you come up with a name like "the gun of flowing bullets" or "Jony gun" yes that last one was bad but you get the jest.)

3 one good effect and one bad effect. dose not need to be a balance just a good effect and a bad one. you may suggest once a day it fires a homing bullet/arrow or it makes a loud sound when your trying to be
sneaky .or its grip may get hot enough to hurt the user. or it starts to be a bit lighter. i will try my best to put them into a balanced tree you just come up with the effects.

4 ideas on ways to "Unlock" these new ability such as a weapon or tool that changes into a different one like a all purposes weapon that can change into a weapon of similar size and weight but different damage
type but can do so only so many times a day (yes like the Pole of Angling)

5. joke effects or prank effects i will take into consideration a suggestion on its position in the tree. but only if it would be note physically harmful. like a cup that changes the color and opaqueness of its content
to resemble pee or beer but not its smell or taste.

6. pleas try to be nice to the others about there effect ideas. every thing has a use and most have 3 or 4 uses for them like a knife can cut/the pummel can be use as a makeshift hammer

that is it for the summery next the items!!! agin feel free to use & change eny of the content i posted in this post i will  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 pm
Well starting off ... work on your grammar and spelling. That was painful to read.

Secondly, you never listed an edition. Assuming you mean 5th if you stuck to common leveled magic items, evolving them to the equivelant of an uncommon, rare, and eventually very rare items would be doable.

whichever edition, past a common level item, you shouldn't be incorporating downsides to magic items.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

cloud read

O.G. Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 pm
PupSage

as the first statement was not stated in a way that was understanding that i might take offense from your wording or that your words might hurt my felling. and i say you sir in that way you are one of the "grammar Nazis" i was referring to when i was talking about this with Mr Leon in my last topic. after all he simply stated he was having a hart time under standing what i wanted to say. you simply told me if i may boil it down "learn to spell." witch is just insulting you
A. do not know what schooling i have
B. do not know if i even have tried to "learn to spell".
C how often i have bean told that or
D. how i feel because i HAVE tried to and failed.

you sir are a p.o.s. grammar Nazis and should think before you belittle people online. also becose you are i will ask you to please not speak to me. note i ASKED you. meaning i have requested this as a mere formality before proceeding with my actions as to attempt to be civilized and provide you with a reason for my next actions. if you choose not to comply with my request. i will simply not respond thank you and good day.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 pm
A good place to start would be to look at Weapons of Legacy, a 3.5 book. Now, they're not so greatly executed, but it's a very similar idea to what you're going for and may give you some ideas on where to go with this.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

cloud read

O.G. Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:35 am
Raganui Minamoto

ok thank you for the advice i will do that tomorrow night.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 am
cloud read
As the first statement was not stated in a way that was understood that I might take offense from your wording, or that your words might hurt my feelings. and I say you sir, in that way, you are one of the "Grammar Nazis" I was referring to when I was talking about this with Mr Leon in my last topic; after all, he simply stated he was having a hard time understanding what I wanted to say. You simply told me, if i may boil it down, "learn to spell," whitch is just insulting. You:
A. Do not know what schooling I have.
B. Do not know if I have even tried to "learn to spell".
C How often I have been told that.
D. Or how I feel because I HAVE tried to learn and failed.

You sir are a p.o.s. Grammar Nazis and should think before you belittle people online. Also, becauose you are, I will ask you to please not speak to me. Note I ASKED you, meaning I have requested this as a mere formality before proceeding with my actions as an attempt to be civilized and provide you with a reason for my next actions. If you choose not to comply with my request. I will simply not respond. Thank you, and good day.

Right. So lets start with this:
https://www.grammarly.com

It takes a whopping three seconds to copy and paste you post into a website such as Grammarly and make it easier for people to read your post. Some browsers even have a spell checker built into them. You are engaging in a forum, trying to engage in a discussion. Communication is key here, and having every reader spend the extra time having to read around your errors for context clues is a rather selfish way to go about things when you could have taken a few moments to fix this yourself.

So mister 32 year old who doesn't know how to spell or use the shift key and insist on others not judging them based on the fact that they do not know him, let me counter your point with the same.

In the RPG Werewolf the apocalypse there is a saying in one of the laws of the garou that has always stuck with me on an out of character level. "Suffer not thy people to tend thy own sickness." You see Cloud, I am a physically disabled, military veteran, who suffers from bipolar II disorder. Yet on most days I do what I can to minimize the impact of that of other peoples lives. I take my medications and give myself time to think before I speak, I try to do as much as I can with my free hand while my other holds my cane to keep me vertical, I try not to make others suffer from my sickness and take the burden of minimizing that impact on myself.

I do not take kindly to being called a piece of s**t or a Nazi because you couldn't be bothered to take a minute or two out of your day to prevent others from having to suffer your sickness. You seem to be intelligent enough to acknowledge your weakness, and your diction denotes that you even speak with intelligent sounding speech, but at your own acknowledgement, spelling and grammar do not come easy to you. It is fully within your power to use the tools at hand to fix that Cloud. Use them and stop being so reactionary at people for pointing out that your laziness is impacting their life. Especially if you are going to be posting so many threads around here, take a few minutes to help communicate your ideas in more precise language so that we can help you better.

And maybe not call people Nazis, k?  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers