Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:48 am
Damis was unaccustomed to bartering.

More directly to the truth, he was unaccustomed to most anything that involved direct involvement with the merchant class or lower, outside of those that went on in day to day interaction within the palace grounds—which was few and far between. In his younger years, up until the war which ended slavery indefinitely and brought independence for the Matori peoples, his family had owned slaves. After the abolition of that, servants filled similar roles. As such, there had never been any pressing need, or even expectation or opportunity, for him to mingle in the common market.

Things had changed. If he was going to travel about on his own and preach the word of his God, Damis knew that at the very least, simple tasks such as buying his own food and goods would be not only useful, but necessary. And, as he was discovering with frustrating consistency, the practice of dealing with peasants in reality was much more complex than he’d ever previously given it credit for.

“Thirty silvers.” The seller was rotund. Female. Dark in complexion, but fair-haired, for an Oban, her wrapped dreads looking almost more pink than red. Her expression, though, was solid, blank, patient—almost bored.

Damissan frowned. “It’s just a small bag,” he said. “Surely it’s not worth that much…”

“Thirty silvers,” the woman repeated.

“I just saw you sell one larger than this for five,” Damis said, voice pitching a half-tone up in spite of himself. “It can’t—”

“Thirty silvers,” she said. “Or it’s not for sale. Come, boy…” She made no secret of drawing her gaze over him, “…you can afford it.”

A tight exhale slipped from Damis’ lips. “You couldn’t be more blatant if you tried,” he said. “Whether or not I can ‘afford’ to pay thirty does not make it worth thirty. You cannot just—”

“Don’t mistake,” the woman said. “I’ve got all day here to sit in the sun, and only five pouches like that to sell among the rest. Of course, On’os bless, we could barter here half the day and you could try to change my mind, but it just might be worth thirty to you if you’re wanting to buy anything else this afternoon. Bargaining woman that I am, I’m willin’ to take that bet. So it’s thirty silvers, boy, if you’re lookin’ to stare at anything else but my pretty face for the next three phases of the sun.”

Damissan met her stare. He waited, fingers to the edge of her display table. She fanned herself, reaching and swatting a flying insect to its death with a yawn. Rolling his eyes skyward, Damissan reached into his pocket, and dropped three large silver coins — a ten worth, each — onto the table before taking his purchase.

Perhaps one day, he thought, when he looked less apparently like a noble to every person he encountered, bartering would be something he could build a talent for.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:31 pm
The Only Black Uke

Abie would never be silent one in the crowd.

That was for sure. The well built Matori male was well known throughout this Market stretch. He had carved the reputation himself through his hard work. Most of the merchants knew his goal and helped by giving him tasks. Abie didn't want them to overly pay him because of the whole "former slave" thing...if they wanted to do it because they felt he went beyond their expectations. That was fine by him. He smiled down at the infant tucked away yet again in his open shirt. The golden snaptrotter had quickly become his favorite of the bunch. He looked up at the very merchant that a hairless oban male had walked away from. Looking over the pouches he saw a few that were perfect for baby treats...then a size bigger for their child-teen years...he smiled at the perfect pouch for adults. Okay...he looked up with a large smile. Recognizing the merchant.

"Karla! Hey! So, this is that series of pouches you were bragging about huh? They look fantastic. Perfect pouches for treats!" he gushed.

The female giggled. "Abie you little flirt! Yes these are. Is the strong little Abie interested?"

Abie nodded. "Mhm! They look worth 10 silver for the middle one...so...5 silver for the small and that would make the large 15 silver at least. Agh...I only have 10 silver on me at the moment." he pouted then blinked as Laqui poked his head out with a chirp. He chuckled. "The rest is going to be used to get the little guys food."

"Awww. How's training going for them?" she asked verbally pulling the youth in for small talk.

Abie laughed loudly. "Great! Their all named and responding to them very well right now. I named this baby, Laqui. So...about the pouches. I was thinking...do you mind letting me get all three for 10 silver. I can work off the other two. Your getting a few shipments in soon. How's that sound?"

She hummed. "That sounds like a fair trade. Those shipments are coming in tomorrow. I know your working with a few others as well, don't overwork yourself this time, eh?"

Abie laughed with her as he made the trade and placed the three pouches in a large bag slung around his hips and one shoulder. Laqui let out another chirp as the female gave him a small treat. Abie waved to her as he moved on...glancing up to a noble looking male.  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:47 pm
Unpracticed though he may have been at bargaining, listening was an ever valuable trait—particularly amidst noble circles—and one he’d had ample opportunity to develop over the years. Additionally, far be it from Damissan to not notice a pretty face or figure, even if it was attached to a slave—Matori. Thus, though he did have other things to accomplish that afternoon, his pace slowed as a young man immediately took his place before the stall he’d just vacated: young, fit, full-blooded islander with full, deep green hair and an open shirt.

The deal he struck, however, was the most notable, and in its aftermath, Damissan’s lips twitched to purse. While he was more than used to the class system working for him, watching camaraderie amongst the lower classes play out to his detriment was more frustrating than he’d ever given the thought credit for. Still, he’d intended to walk away without comment, and would have done so—if the Matori had not chosen that moment to turn and look at him, as though he had won something.

Damissan’s dark lashes flit a quarter inch down, and he curbed the instinct to sneer. Surely he had at least enough self-control not to look overtly concerned by the ‘accomplishments’ of a fish, as though that somehow detracted from his own circumstances. Instead, he gave a small, tight-lipped smile.

“Impressive,” he said. “You must know the market.”  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:18 pm
The Only Black Uke

Abie blinked as he heard the comment. He wasn't an idiot, but he did get a superior smirk as he started to stroll past the Oban. "Stick around here working for it and you'll find the Market is rather kind to you."

He wasn't going to brag, feeling that sense of pride over an Oban was something he could get used to. Laqui let out a trembling trill. Abie looked down. Figuring the runt was frightened by the new voice. He murmured softly down to the infant. "Hey, hey...its okay."  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 pm
Damissan gave a muted hum behind his lips, but folded his hands before himself, expression shifting to a casual neutral. “Like many things, I assume it is kind to its own and disfavors unasked for intrusions…so far, it is relishing in teaching me of its distaste for nobility. I suppose…” Loathe though he was to admit it, “…the attitude isn’t shocking to the conscience.”

Glancing furtively towards the movement at the Matori’s torso, Damissan’s gaze flit over the small—infant, if he made no mistake—snaptrotter before raising his eyes again. Though the bustle of market made speaking quietly impractical, he did soften his tone when speaking again.

“Yours?” he asked. “Or a bargaining ticket for sale.”  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:37 pm
The Only Black Uke

Abie blinked. "Mine. I'm the apprentice to a Rider who's a local hero around this area. Laqui here, is apart of a small clutch of seven infants I've been tasked with to raise into steeds." he gently brought out the infant. Laqui hissed its disaproval as Abie chuckled. "Easy little one."

The matori then tucked it into the crook of his arm. Letting Damissan see the small soft gold scales as the infant blinked its large eyes up at the Oban. Abie stepped to the side leaning on a stall with a smile to the merchant as they handed him a damp cloth. "Thanks. Snaptrotters are suppose to be in water most of their young lives. As they get older their scales toughen up to retain moisture better for land travel. Right now..." he wiped down the small body. Smiling gently as it glistened. "You gotta wipe them down with a damp cloth every few hours or so..."

He looked back up to the Oban. "Abie."  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:48 pm
“Fortunate for you,” Damissan said, “to have acquired an accomplished teacher. And it sounds as though you are well-suited to the task of rearing, much as you already know of them.” After observing the ease — all but wordless — with which his company communicated with the local vendor, attaining a whetted cloth without so much as asking for it, he tucked his hands, making mental note, and then blinked.

Abie.

Was that…?

His name, Damissan decided after a moment’s confusion. It couldn’t have been much else, and he relaxed the set of his shoulders, his next smile still reserved, but closer to genuine. “Damissan,” he said. “You are a native of this area?”  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:14 pm
The Only Black Uke

Abie smiled, his usual smile back again. "Nice to meet you." He straightened to start walking again. "I take it this is your first time in the Market alone?" he took note of the way the other was dressed. Yeah, most merchants around this part of the Market did not like the nobility. Abie shifted to allow Laqui the space to slip back into his shirt. He looked to his new...companion.

"What were you looking for exactly?"  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:25 pm
I take it this is your first time in the market alone?

Damissan stifled the instinct to grimace or retort. Granted, it felt like a slight. He wasn’t a child walking about ‘on his own’ for the first time in his life, and he had—at least recently, though this too was admittedly a change—been outside of the palace grounds on his own. Given the full breadth of circumstances, however, bringing this up seemed needless, so he let his ruffled pride lie—with effort—and focused instead on the merit of the conversation.

“It is the first time I’ve attempted to barter, yes,” he said. “I have…decided to take new direction and explore some of the world that I haven’t properly observed for myself. To that purpose, I’ve been shopping…or attempting.”

Truth be told, Damis wasn’t even precisely sure what he actually needed. The only times he’d traveled anywhere had been in carriages, pre-arranged for by his parents or their servants — he wasn’t even clear on that specific — and things seemed to just happen. The more that he attempted doing things himself, however, the more it became apparent that generally speaking, things very much did not ‘just happen’.

It was a learning curve, to be sure.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:46 pm
The Only Black Uke

Abie slowed to a stop then stood there blinking. "So...you've...never done anything for yourself. Well...this is going to be a fun adventure." He laughed before turning to walk backwards. "Okay...if you wanna see the world. Your going to need a toned down look. There are merchants who would help with that. You can keep the finery. Just...less of it. You walk around like you are...the Merchants aren't going to be too willing to take it easy on you."

He thought over everything he was gathering. "Well, first your going to need a sturdy pack. Something you feel you'd be able to pack the essentials in. A small set of cook ware for the road nights. Defiantly a tent cover for shelter. Change of clothes. The basics." he kept his backward pace with a care-free smile.  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:32 pm
Damissan bristled, barely containing a sputter of immediate objection as heat gathered in his cheeks and his shoulders stiffened. “I didn’t—that’s not what I said at all,” he blurted. “I have done plenty on my own, just not—”

Damissan drew a breath, and released it, letting the words go with effort. He could — again, loathe though he was to think it — use some aid in the matter, and if this Matori proved to be useful, even genuinely helpful then he had no reason to turn the man away. He didn’t mind the company of strangers, far from it, and though he was distinctly unused to dealing on a face to face basis with waterlings, he could consider it an exercise in expanding his borders and comfort level.

“Cook ware…” he repeated, his attention hanging up on that item in particular. “I’ve not—” He paused, realizing halfway into the sentence that, ‘I’ve never started a fire in my life, will I really need to cook something? Surely I can buy the food cooked…don’t you usually buy the food cooked?’ likely sounded naive at best. “Cooking,” he said again instead, and then cleared his throat. “I suppose that’s…it could be useful. And a tent.”

Nevermind that he’d never spent a night in a tent in his life, let alone set one up. Perhaps he could stay at inns perpetually.

“Have you traveled much yourself?”  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm
The Only Black Uke

Abie had slowed to a stop to stare long and hard at the male before him. Okay...something deep in his gut told him this kid...was sorely lacking knowledge to survive out there. He glanced down to Laqui as the infant looked up at him. There seemed to be a silent agreement between the two as Abie smiled in his reply.

"Not particularly, but our Mentor usually took us out to learn the basics. I'm sure if you asked, your parents or another elder you trust could take you out as well." --you won't live long though.' He smiled.  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:40 pm
I'm sure if you asked, your parents or another elder you trust could take you out as well.

Admittedly, Damissan had never been an especially patient man. It was something he was well aware of and knew that he needed to work on exercising more frequently. Temperance. Patience. Civility. He had, however, for all the first twelve years of his life, been raised in an environment where the only blue faces he saw were those that knew and respected their place in life—or were severely disciplined for failing to. Thus, while he understood they were a ‘free’ people now, there were distinct limits to his tolerance, and the waterling’s insistence on speaking to him as though he were an infant needing parental supervision would have been blatantly insulting regardless of the man’s race.

“Surprising as this may be…” he said at length, tempering his voice to the greatest extent possible towards a civil and even tone, “…I am actually beyond the age of requesting adult guidance or permission to go out—because I am one. I…” The words were egregiously difficult to push from his lips, but he managed it, “…thank you, however, for your earnest…attempt…at being helpful.”  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:15 pm
The Only Black Uke

A more twisted side of Abie drew pleasure from seeing the other male react subtly to his comment. Ah...so he was pushing buttons eh? Growing up in a chaotic household he learned to read tones and minor body language. He stifled a chuckle before nodding. "Your welcome. Glad to offer advice."

He was being a arse and he knew it. The young noble was going to have to learn that around here. Abie had a bit more pull than he did. Out in the real world...Nobility only got you so far. Humility got you the rest of the way. What better way to teach him than give him a nice cold bucket of reality?  

SwordOfTheDarkOnes

Kawaii Punching Bag

21,775 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Friendly 100

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 am
Damis released a breath through his teeth. When that was all that came, however, he managed to let his stature relax again — at least in part — his shoulders easing back to a more natural rest and his next inhale smoother. It would help him to get used to all manner of persons if he were going to speak to all manner of persons, and as oblivious (or worse, intentionally insolent) as they were.

It would also help him to take what he could from the situation, frustrations aside.

“And how, and where from, would you recommend acquiring the rest of what I’d need, supplies wise, for such a trip?”  
◈ Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff