Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:18 am
Stereochrome

The crackling of the fire brought a smile to Phaedra's face as she kept an eye on the meat she was roasting. It dripped fat into the flames which caused more snapping and the aroma filled the air. She also had a small batch of vegetation that was being warmed close to the fire's edge. It appeared as though she was cooking for more than one person but she was the only one about. In truth she was making extras so that she could take them with her when she traveled. Eventually she wanted to make her way south, there was something that she was interested in.

Reaching into her pack she took out a small bottle of seasoning and sprinkled it over the meat hoping it would enrich the flavor. Of course she preferred a kitchen but a small fire pit would do in a pinch. With the food cooking Phae settled onto a fallen log and waited for the tell tale signs that her food was ready to be consumed.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:52 am
User Image

It was dark in the jungle -- well, as dark as it ever got, what with all the glowing vegetation. A young hybrid boy and a shaggy quhar moved through the thick undergrowth, looking rather dejected and worn-down.

Jauhar, he had decided, was not a good place to be when you were down on your luck. First he had lost all his hard-earned trade goods to the bandits, and now he was just plain lost. He had no friends here, and no relatives -- except perhaps a sister he knew by name only, and even she may have travelled on elsewhere (and why would she not? She was his father’s child, after all). His father, for that matter, was in Oba, and that seemed like a rather long way away when you didn’t even know which direction to go in.

The light of a fire and the sound of cooking caught his attention. They had stumbled right into someone’s camp… and even if he had half a mind to stay undetected, it was too late now. Juno, however, had no interest in being undetected. He was lost, hungry, and tired.

“Hi, m’am.” He looked up at the woman who sat by the fire -- young, but older than him. “Would it bother you if we rest here a while, Tamim and I? You’ve got a cozy little fire going.”

Not to mention a good-smelling meal… but with nothing to trade, Juno couldn’t quite drum up the courage to ask for a share.

Heras Box

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:03 pm
Stereochrome

The sound of someone approaching had warned her long before the boy and his familiar came into sight. Her ears had twitched and her hand had moved to her trident as it waited for her at her feet. Phaedra was surprised, however, to see a hybrid. Never mind how young he was. It caused her to tilt her head a little. What she noticed while looking him over was that.. well he seemed to lack things. Most people traveled with things of some nature. So when she was asked whether or not he would be allowed to rest near her fire she let her green eyes glance at the dancing flames then back. "That's fine. Meal is almost done as well so I'll have something to share." It never occurred to her to ask for something in return for it. After all there was far more than she could eat on her own.

The brunette relaxed a little, taking her hand off her weapon, but didn't let her guard down completely. While she didn't think this boy would attack her she didn't want to take any chances and get beaten like last time. "What's your name?" Phae thought to ask. It would make things a bit less awkward and hopefully give her a feel for just who he was.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:53 am
Heras Box

The woman had a weapon -- a trident, Juno thought it was called, resting at her feet. Her hand was resting on top of it when he first approached, but she didn’t raise it any further. What cause would she have, anyway? Juno didn’t think he looked particularly threatening, especially given the fact that he didn’t even have a bedroll with him… let alone a weapon of his own.

“Much obliged.” He grinned in relief when she told him it would be ok to stay, immediately stepping closer to the fire and sitting down cross-legged close to the flames. The big guhar followed suit, turning about in a funny-looking circle as he found a good place to sit. With his hooves tucked under him, he looked very much like a heap of dried grass. He didn’t act all that differently, either -- he just sat there and stared patiently into the fire, the flames reflecting in his nose-ring and his shiny black eyes.

“Well if you’ve got enough to share --” A quick glance down at her cooking-pot seemed to confirm this “-- I’m not going to refuse. I’m starving! What are you cooking?”

It wasn’t that he was particularly picky -- just curious.

“I’m Juno. From Sauti. Well, I’m part shifter, if you can’t tell, but I’ve never been to Jauhar ‘till now. And it’s a… tough place, I gotta say. What about you?”

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:27 pm
Stereochrome

The quar was amusing to watch as it circled and tried to find a decent place to sit down. Once it was settled she was drawn to the boy as he spoke. Phae's eyes took him in, even as he looked at what she was cooking, and she smiled. "It's merely some rabbit and vegetables. I lack a proper kitchen to do much more than that." The meat was suspended over the fire on a spit while the second part of the meal lay in a small pot at the flame base. "I've some guava juice in a wine skin as well if you're thirsty. No water I'm afraid." She'd used that to boil the vegetables.

The odd introduction that followed made her give a small chuckle. "I'm Phaedra, from Tale." By appearance alone it would be plainly evident that she was a full blood native of Tale. "Jauhar can be tough but it has it's charms." Of course she had yet to really find something that she liked about the place. Since moving into the area she'd had nothing but trouble. Her father was the one that really enjoyed it. "Are you on your way back to Sauti then?" The brunette shifted her attention to the food and checked on it to see if it was done.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:26 am
Heras Box

“It smells real good!” Juno nodded, knowing full well the usual limitations of camp cooking. “To be real honest, I don’t get to eat much food from a ‘proper kitchen’ anyway. Never did. My family in Sauti moves around all the time, see, so this sort of cooking is as proper as it gets for our kind. Anyhow, a good cook doesn’t need a proper kitchen to make a good meal, and it seems to me that you know a good thing or two about what you’re doing.”

He took her offer of the fruit juice, and took a short sip from the skin to quench some of the thirst he had walked up on his march through the jungle. It was pleasantly sweet and refreshing.

“No, I don’t think so.” He responded to her question about returning to Sauti. “See, I was traveling with my father, but we split up a bit when I heard about the alkidikes attacking my home. I wanted to check back on my mother and see what I could do and all that, but my father had some urgent business in Oba. So I’ll be making my way there now. Well, to be honest, I’ll be trying to make my way there, but I’m not sure how I’ll do it. See, I’ve run into some trouble on the way, and, uh…”

He shrugged, toying sheepishly with a lock of his sand-colored hair. “Well, I ran into some bandits, that’s what.”

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:01 am
Stereochrome

She stared at him when he said that he didn't get to eat meals from a proper kitchen all that much. Phaedra didn't think that was any way to live. Good food made people happy. Still, at least he took the juice to drink. While he took a sip she focused on the food and turned the meat so that the heat would be the same throughout. She wanted to make sure that the meal was completely done before digging in.

As Juno spoke she stayed quiet and listened. That he was headed to Oba was interesting, but she supposed if he was going there to meet up with his father it made more sense. A frown creased her brow when he mentioned that he'd run into bandits. It seemed there were more of them in the area recently. Were they spurred on by the lack of Alkidike presence? "Well.. I'm not going to Oba, but I am going south." Phae said. If nothing else she could take him to Neued and from there he should be able to make it across the border. "I need to hit the markets in Neued before I continue on my way. So if you want to come with me that's fine."

To her it just seemed right to offer. Juno had no weapon it seemed and if the bandit didn't believe he had nothing left to take they might hurt him. And she had enough guilt over people getting hurt due to her negligence.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:47 am
Heras Box

He caught her stare, but didn’t quite know what to make of it. There was nothing unusual, to him, about nomadic life -- the only exciting development in recent months had been the fact that he had begin travelling outside of Sauti, and now on his own. A campfire and some grilled meat pleased him more than and enough, especially after the rough few days he had had had.

He shuffled over to one side so that he could lean against Tamim’s big brown flank, warming his feet against the fire.

When she spoke again, this time about her plans, he did sit back up -- and looked eagerly on as she offered him the chance to accompany her as far a Neued. He knew that Neued was quite far south, and in the definite direction of Oba. After Neued, all he would have to do is cross the border and… well, and venture into an entirely new, unknown (to him) land. But the benefit of having a traveling companion -- especially one that came armed and experienced -- would surely be a great help.

Even though he hardly had anything left to be stolen, he did not want to encounter bandits on his own again.

“Would you really let me? I mean, I’d love to. And you can have Tamim carry your things if you like, all these pots and all. He’s been out of a job since we got robbed, anyway.”

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:02 am
Stereochrome

When Juno leaned against his beast she checked the food again. It was done finally. So she started to remove the meat from over the fire just as the boy seemed eager to be able to go with her. Phae nodded her head at him. "Sure. I'm going that way so I don't see why not." And it wasn't like she was in a hurry or anything so he couldn't slow her down. All things considered it was probably the best choice for both of them. Juno would have a companion with a weapon and she'd not be alone.

Since the meat was hot to the touch she had to use a small knife that she kept with her to slide it off the skewer and onto the large leaf that she had collected to set it on. After that she set to work on cutting it up into smaller pieces, though she did leave a big chunk for the quhar in case Juno wanted to feed him. Phaedra wasn't sure what those things ate. "It's hot but it's ready." She motioned toward the food as she began to fish out the vegetation as well so that it could sit with the meat.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:30 am
Heras Box
now that Ouen's submitted for growth, Juno is my next priority... so I'll be posting a bit faster on all his rps. o wo

Juno grinned with some considerable amount of relief. “Well, jeez -- that would be great, I mean. You have no idea how much of a relief that is! I thought I’d do fine travelling on my own, but… I guess I thought a bit too highly of myself. Or maybe I didn’t want to believe how dangerous things could get. My father always did tell me stories about bandits and things like that, but I just didn’t think it could happen to me of all people. I guess that was sort of silly. If it can happen to other people, of course it can happen to me.”

He shrugged sheepishly, then found himself a leaf and crept over to pile up a good helping of food for himself. He tended to eat a fair bit, being a growing young man… and he sincerely hoped that she wouldn’t find him to be greedy. Still, she had said it was too much food for her alone, didn’t she? And he was next to starving. For a few minutes after taking his food he sat down and ate in relative silence, mumbling a few times (though mouthfuls of meat) that Phaedra had done an excellent job in cooking.

“Ahhh.” He finally leaned back when he was full, folding his arms behind his head, and still reclining on the quhar’s flank (having fed the beast some of the cooked vegetables from his plate). “That was good. I hope I can repay you the favor one day. Y’know, if I ever manage to make something of myself.”

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:20 pm
Stereochrome
Yay Ouen~ And sweet~ I'll be sure to post asap for ya.

She watched him get his helping though she said nothing about the amount he took. Instead she seemed to chuckle and give a small shake of her head before she set about getting her own food. As he complimented her skills, or at least from what she could hear, Phaedra smiled. It was nice to hear someone liked her cooking. It was a hobby that she loved.

When Juno fed the beast some vegetables she paused to take that in. So it ate plants and not animals. Well that was good to know. She would have to make sure that she gathered a bit for it as they traveled. Knowing what her companions ate would make it easier for her to provide for them. "I'm glad you liked it." Phae finally answered. She was still eating when Juno finished and was relaxing. "Did you get enough to eat?" She was curious to know if next time she would need to have more made.

"Don't worry about repaying me. It's no trouble." Phaedra waved it off.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:11 am
Heras Box
thanks!

“M-hm.” He nodded to indicate that he was satisfied -- realistically, he could have eaten more (he was, after all, a teenaged boy) -- but he didn’t want to impose on his new friend. Besides, he certainly wasn’t hungry anymore. And as the warmth rose up from his belly and spread to the rest of his body, it seemed to fill him more than the food alone, even. The fire crackled merrily along, and Tamim settled into a content sleep. His flank rose and fell gently, rocking Juno in a comfortable motion.

Still, now that he was warm and fed and in good company, glummer thoughts seemed to return to him. He frowned at the fire, and Phaedra’s mention that he had no need to repay her.

“Maybe you’re best off not expecting anything.” He sighed. “I dunno if I’ll ever amount to much. I thought I was doing well going off on my own and all that, but then I lost everything. And I keep having to depend on folks like you to get by. Maybe I should have just… I dunno, stayed home and learned how to fight or something.”

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:47 pm
Stereochrome

She was pleased to know that he had gotten enough to eat. The boy looked like he could use more to eat in his life. Phae would make sure to cook more so that he'd be forced to eat the left overs. As she plotted this in her head she listened to him say that he likely wouldn't become anything. A single brow lifted slightly as she watched him then she turned her attention to the fire as she used a stick to poke at the embers. "Maybe you went about it the wrong way." Phaedra suggested.

"Maybe you aren't looking at the big picture. Instead of saying that you are depending on people like me.. say you are learning from us." She smiled at him then reached for her smaller pouch so that she could pull out a clipping of vegetation. "See, this here is a great seasoning for meat. So if you come across it collect some and save it for later." At least she could teach him something.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:05 pm
Heras Box

“Hm?” He looked up solemnly when Phaedra told him that he might be going about it ‘the wrong way’ -- what did she mean? Did he agree with his creeping suspicion that he just wasn’t cut out for the sort of life he had imagined himself living? Could she tell that he had messed everything up, just by looking at him?

But the woman went on in a different way entirely, explaining to him that he was merely learning from others. Juno watched carefully as she showed the herb in her pouch (which was, no doubt, a useful tip for later) and smiled faintly. He could get behind that. He liked learning -- he never had any issues listening to the advice of those who were smarter and wiser than him, like some other prideful youth were.

“I suppose so. I mean… I’ve always liked learning. From older folks, and more experienced folks, and sometimes even younger folks who seem to know more than I do somehow. Well, to be honest, the whole reason I’m lost here is because I heard a rumour and ran off to try and learn something I probably wasn’t ready for. And that didn’t go too well. Not the learning part, and not my trip south after… well, until now, that is.” He smiled sheepishly at her, shrugging his silver-blue shoulders and listening to the crackle of the fire.

“I don’t think I realised how much I was used to traveling in a group. Traveling alone’s just… maybe not my thing.”

Stereochrome

Lucky Wrangler

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:54 am
Stereochrome

Well at least she got him to feel a bit better about how things were going. Phaedra didn't want to see him lose hope that he could become something great. Everyone needed that. With Juno saying that he liked to learn she chuckled. "Then this is a learning experience for you. Not a failure." And all she had to do was make sure he learned a bit more from her on the way.

"There is nothing wrong with having lone travel be something you aren't good at." The only reason she was somewhat good at it was because she had no one else to travel with. Phae was limited on friends and her father was always busy with his work. Not that it bothered her that he was so successful. "I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of people do better in group travel." Phaedra just hoped that she was encouraging.  
◈ Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff