Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
Afraid to tell my therapist something

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sly Silver

Demonic Unicorn

15,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 pm
I've been struggling with my sexuality since I was 13 years old. Once I turned 16 a light clicked on in my head. After doing some deep thinking and talking with close friends, I came to realization that I am bisexual. I tried tell my mom about it but she just laughed and said it's a phase that I'll get through. For 5 years, I believed what she said. On my 21st birthday I started rethinking her words and now at the age of 22, I realize she was wrong. What I'm afraid to tell my therapist is that there have been inner conflicts about what to tell different people. I haven't told my family and have no clue how to tell them. I'm confused as to any direction in my life now.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:02 pm
Xx_Grim Ripper_xX

First thing I'd want to figure out is, do I really want to even let them know? Do you honestly want to just come out? If so,
this is where things get a little complicated.

Asking your therapist how to word something like this is a good start,
if you're scared to ask your therapist for whatever reason, try asking any
good friends who know your struggle or who know you're bisexual.

My mom said the exact same thing when I first came out, that it was a
phase. Honestly, it didn't bother me. I knew who I was and didn't care
what they thought. If you're scared that they might start thinking about
you differently, (try asking your therapist how to word it) tell them, if
you decide to come out, that you're scared of this. Tell them that first.

I'm sorry I don't have a lot of advice and that I made it rambly. ;w;
I hope everything works out.

Fuit Gummy

Sweet Gaian

RyugaHayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:52 pm
Okay, you are the patient for your therapist, so all you have to do is say, "I want what we are about to discuss to be confidential, just between you and me." By stating that, you invoke your doctor-patient confidentiality, which is used for any medical field. Unless you tell them you are about to go out and murder someone, they must keep it confidential.

After that, explain to them what is going on, and how you feel. Often times, they will help you out.

To be honest, your mother won't believe you. That is just how some people are. You cannot change their minds by force, and if they don't believe you, then don't even worry about what they will say. Find those closest to you, and tell them first. The more support you have, the better off you are in the end.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:37 pm
Thank you to both of you . I have already told some close friends and am considering if I'm going to tell anyone else. For now, I'm no longer on speaking terms with my mother due to recent circumstances so her opinion isn't important to me. As for my family, I'll tell them once I feel I'm ready to which isn't this point in time. I think for now I'm just going to figure some other stuff out about me to better figure myself out.  

Sly Silver

Demonic Unicorn

15,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Married 100

colon bracket
Crew

Eloquent Fatcat

7,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm
Tell your therapist when you're ready, same as telling anyone else.

But be honest. Don't lie about who you are or feel guilty about the way you feel.
People who invalidate your feelings are some of the worst amongst us.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:52 pm
I had the same experience. My first love was with my best friend in High School, a girl we'll call A. She was what made me realize that I had feelings for girls. This was about 6 years ago, and to this day, I have feelings for her, and sometimes even dream about her. It's creepy.... lol. I told my mom about it and she did the same thing. Told me it's a phase. To this day, I don't check out guys, just girls. They're the only ones I'm actually attracted to, but I don't get along with most of them, and any of the ones I let myself feel something for are ultimately straight. I date guys because it's easier, I get along with them better, and all that, but I know what I prefer.

What is it that's stopping you from telling your therapist? They should be professional and actually talk through it with you. Are you worried they'll do what your mom did and try to talk you out of it? Maybe, until you're ready, think more on it yourself. After all, you don't need anyone's validation but your own.

The Dark Side of Desire

4,975 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out