Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[ENROLLMENT] Hethel the Owl Spirit. I heart crits. Accepted! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.AMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM

Name: Hethel
Nicknames: Owl, The Old Thorn's Owl, Hethel on the Old Thorn
Age: One could guess she's been around for a long time as a spirit, but she looks 'bout 14 at most.

Faction: Ghost
Race: Owl Spirit

Natural Ability:
Owlycowl - Hethel's natural form is that of a big poofy owl with a couple twigs sticking out here and there. Even in humanoid form, she almost appears to be wearing her natural form as a cloak. This is pretty much her natural ability; possessing what she wears to a degree, melding with it. She imbues herself into them; owliness asserts itself on the clothes she wears, making them get all puffed up and feathery, the sleeves appearing and behaving like wings of sort when she wears them [this is nothing special for a ghost since they all float/fly anyways, but the visual effect is Hayao-Miyazaki-esque.] The moment she stops possessing the clothing, it begins to revert to its original form until all traces of her magical ability have faded.

Personality: Though some may discredit her for it, all should be able to admit that Hethel's enormous fluff more than compensates for her unexciting personality. Unless they hate fluff, that is.

Fact is, she's one of those few that does not actively seek to do much else at school than learning the class material. Swoop in, take notes, swoop out, do studious stuff. Going on adventures and activities is something she'd do not for fun, but either to keep an eye on current happenings or as a support to others. (For the latter, it doesn't take much convincing. Unemotional, not unconcerned. Besides, she thinks of herself as a sort of protective forest spirit and finds it fulfilling to act the guardian.) If her body language is any indication, she's a bit of a recluse otherwise- though not due to shyness or for lack of socialization.

For a long time she's been living on an ancient Hawthorn tree in the forest called the Old Thorn. One of the ones that talk and make spooky gusts of wind! The Old Thorn is both her family and closest friend, so much that she considers it part of her own body. This prolonged closeness to nothing except for a tree had some effects on her, such as a greater affection for flora than fauna in general, and... the appropriation of certain traits, both physical and mental. For a predatory animal spirit, she's got more passive and defensive tendencies than assertive and aggressive ones. She's pretty 'chill', all in all and doesn't fall into any malicious or vindictive categories. Hethel can grow into a calming presence, and makes for an accepting friend and good listener. One may expect an owl to be pretty wise. She doesn't know if she is, and this is wise of her. rofl

Hethel's doesn't like when things get loud and messy, so she remains relatively composed in the face of surprise or danger and addresses the issue as best she can. However, if she doesn't see a solution to the problem, she gets agitated and becomes a hissing angry spirit of frustration and fear and considerably more aggressive with her actions. Ever see an owl hiss? Freaky stuff. xD

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy? Someone dropped (or threw out, we don't know) their Skellyphone near the Old Thorn and Hethel discovered the interwebs. She got pretty hooked on Spookypedia. So much knowledge! Then the batteries ran out. The Old Thorn suggested that she return it to the owner, which they both knew was probably attending Amityville Academy, since these grounds were near the Not-forbidden Forest monster dorms, after all. In fact, why not enroll? Hethel reminds the Old Thorn she sent in her application ages ago. Well, maybe she'll try again.

FEAR Ability:
Barrier

Hawthorn Overgrowth: Can summon up thick sprawls of hawthorn from the ground. [this protects from incoming damage]

Progression: Eventually, I envision she'll be able to summon more of it at a time- leaving a long stretch of hawthorn barrier as she flies overhead may be fun, potentially encircling an opponent or creating a labyrinth. Also, fun idea! Should she learn how to possess a Hunter's weapon, ex.: a bow and arrow, it could be enchanted with her FEAR and the arrows fired would cause an outward explosion of Hawthorn tangle from wherever they plant themselves.

Physical Description:

Eye Colour: Milky brown with glowey yellow sclera!
Hair Colour/Style: Doesn't really have hair? It's feathers, mang. Chocolate brown feathers. @v@
Skin Colour: A mid-range grey-brown, like wet sand or... wood of that color. Motifs on her arms in a darker shade.
Clothing Style/Colours: Thanks to her Owlycowl, two shades of greyish and wooden brown plumage are arranged in a somewhat owl shaped crest that engulfs her entire body, only her arms, feet and face remaining visible. A darker shade is near the face, and a much lighter albeit dark-dappled shade everywhere else.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Hey YOU! Have a nice day! I'm rooting for you! :D

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:45 pm
Mythee

I just want all the RP

I seriously just

CONGRATS SO MUCH OK SHE IS FREAKING ADORBS AND I JUST ALSDKFNASF I LOVE THIS SO MUCH <333

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:57 pm
kurotomato

Amg thank youuu! Once she's been approved for RP, BY ALL MEANS LET US ARPEE QuQ heart I'm dying of anticipation here! ALSO LLYRENDIL I SEE YOU DON'T CARE MUCH FOR CLOTHES EITHER HUH rofl
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Hey YOU! Have a nice day! I'm rooting for you! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:00 pm
Mythee

Llyr says WHAT ARE CLOTHES ANYWAY.....

omg he has this weakness for cute things and Hethel is a cute thing and if they meet he will be fascinated

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:07 pm
CLOTHES ARE MURDERED PLANTS THAT'S WHAT THEY AAARE also Hethel is in denial that the word cute could ever apply to a scary owl spirit silent hunter in the darkness (except for babies) etc etc and would entirely pretend that all the enamored gazes are not happening

They probably all just want help with their homework
Yes keep telling yourself that Hethel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:09 pm
it's ok Hethel I'm pretty sure everyone thinks Llyr just steals bedsheets and makes flower crowns ok

she is 2 presh

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 pm
So you admit he brings bedsheets around with him everywhere huh I guess he comes well prepared [/shot]

I'm tempted to imagine in a parody TiH universe that someone in the human world was just really afraid of bishies and that fear became Llyr (maybe some guy had like 80 consecutive girlfriends stolen by a bishie XDD)

Also thank 8'D

I actually wonder if like
Owl hearing and owl vision is p. much expected of her enough that it doesn't need to be a natural ability for her to have in

In which case I'd write the natural ability as ability to transform into full giant owl? She's practically got like 90% of the transformation done already. Might as well just cover that remaining 10% of her body with owlness. rofl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:33 am
OWLS 4 LYFE
(we must have owl rp yaay)

Since you seem to be looking for Nat Ability help..

Transformation is a good one if you want her to be able to shapeshift at will. If her natural form IS a big owl, that isn't necessary as her pin (hidden in that fluff wherever it is ;D) will keep her humanoid while at school and when it comes off she will automatically revert to giant owl mode.

Ghost abilities!! She is a ghost after all. Phasing through objects is always an option since flying is a given already. Maybe turning invisible to do creepy owl/ghost stuff to people?

Mythee

iloveyouDIE

Unstoppable OTP

27,425 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Married 100
  • OTP 200

Ariaalina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 am
One thing you might add to the natural ability, owls feathers are actually designed for silent flight. ie. You can hear an eagle's wings flap, but you can't hear an owl. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:08 am
@iloveyouDIE: The beginnings of a flock. >O
And ohh, there's an idea. Thank you both ouo

I guess I'll add silent flight to the 'natural ability'. I think it's all right if she can't revert to her natural form at school, since otherwise she might just always be in her natural form xD;; (And I love her design as it is heart ) Methinks phasing through stuff would be cool, but I might be going a little further than most with her Fear (plus ghosts already levitate and can become translucent) so I'm going to keep the natural ability's magicalness to a minimum. OvO

Mythee

Festive Explorer

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 am
Mythee

Llyr has no idea what you're talking about, he just likes the sheets sad

sldkfnsdf that is hilarious ROFL ROFL HE IS THE REINCARNATION OF ALL TH BISHIE FEARS....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm
"Oh no, the bishies and bishoujos are coming! I'll never be loved again! AAAAA" *all the bishies and bishoujos are born in Halloween and Amityville citizens are like wth they aren't scary? I don't even?*

I wonder if it's terrible of me to have been playing around with the student pin template before it she's even been approved

Mythee

Festive Explorer

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 am
Regarding the natural ability - You maaaaay need to pick one thing there, since there's a few different abilities lopped into one with the one you've picked. Hearing may come with how she is, so if you do need to just go with one thing, I would pick either darkvision or silent flight.

Her fear!
The idea is sound. However! You will need to pick one type of mechanic to go with. The way you have it currently, it looks like it can be one of a few things. Unfortunately, you won't be able to have it where it can block damage (Barrier) and potentially entangle someone (Either mind or Headlights, depending on if you want it to be more of an accuracy reduction or a stun).

That said, I would also get rid of the limiters of burnable by fire and if the ground is too hard, since all FEAR attacks are reliant on dice for whether or not they succeed upon use. Of course, if she uses this and it ends up failing, you could say that she was having difficulty making things grow. But, I'd leave it open in the least, for the chance that her attack does succeed.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:09 pm
Ohh, thanks for the crits Blade.

Natural ability- those are all just things that owls do normally though, silent flight and night vision included. If they aren't at all stronger than their natural equivalent, would it still not be ok?

Fear- I see what you mean! I wasn't really thinking of the battle system mechanics, just tried to make a balanced ability that wouldn't be too strong in an RP'd fight. I'll change it to not be able to tangle, it could make sense since it kind of explodes outwards from the ground- there might be enough force there to push one backwards should they be present exactly where the ground is going to sprout Hawthorns. That way it can't tangle.

However, as for hawthorns being thorny and collisions with them being painful, would it be all right not to count any damage in the battle system, but leave it so for RP purposes? That way the ability makes physical sense but does not cause problems with the battle system.

As for the limiters, if they are too difficult to implement I guess I could similarly remove them from having any battle system effect, but have them remain in RP? >.<

Mythee

Festive Explorer

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:19 pm
They... might? I'm not 100% on it. I'd have a backup nat ability in case those are all good to go normally.

Regarding RP fights, the only time the FEAR would be used is with the dice mechanics as far as I know. As for the pain/damage thing... I'm not completely certain. You might say that it would sting but not actually harm the opposing character (not all attacks incoming would be a direct physical attack anyway - Projectiles/magic stuff for example) as far as flavor text goes. An admin would have the final say on that.

As I said with the limiters, it's best to not have those up front. However! If you rolled and the dice deemed that the attack failed, you could definitely implement it that way, saying that the attack failed because she wasn't able to make things grow properly. There's no modifiers in the battle system (normally) for an attack's 'weakness' or 'strengths'. Just the predetermined hit/miss values, but you can make what you will of that alone.  
{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff