Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

justadarling

Witty Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:24 pm
Hello, you guys c:

I'm getting a dog soon and I'm looking for some ways that I can work out his mind. If it matters, he's a German Shepherd.

Any ideas? I heard hiding treats around the house can be fun for them. What do you usually do with your dogs?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:29 pm
Is it an older or younger dog? Training is very good mental work. If he's already trained look for some new tricks you might like to teach. 10mins sessions to start, always ending on a positive note with something easy. And you can do a few sessions per day.

Another mental workout is puzzle toys. There's food less ones, like squeaky toys inside plush toy that he has to try and get out. Or treat dispensing toys. If its nice out, you can actually throw his meals out in your yard and hell have to sniff around to find each kibble.

Agility training is one of the best. Keep in my sheds have lots of energy to burn off too.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Another mental workout is puzzle toys. There's food less ones, like squeaky toys inside plush toy that he has to try and get out. Or treat dispensing toys. If its nice out, you can actually throw his meals out in your yard and hell have to sniff around to find each kibble.

This was a game I used to play with our border collie. I would take her favorite squeaky toy and bundle it up really well inside of a sleeping bag, then squeak it. She'd go nuts figuring out how to unroll it to get to her toy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:08 am
teach him the names of all his toys, hide stuff around the house for him to find, teach him new tricks, teach him how to open doors, turn on the light, bring you things, all sorts of stuff

and one of stowrm's favorite things is when we combine her toys or put one of her toys inside of a ball and she has to fix it. this includes tying some of her toys in simple knots and having her undo them  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 pm
Clicker training is great fun. :]

Rally-o is a super fun sport, too.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum