Submit

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm
They will show up at his door some time later, and this time in the daylight hours, at a proper hour to call upon a gentleman -- sometime past noon, when the sun is hanging high and fat in the afternoon sky. This time they are not wearing the somber greys, the rough outfits that had marked them as thieves; they are smartly dressed in a way that places them at the status of moderately well-off merchants. As before they are dressed precisely alike, so that the only way Marco will be able to tell them apart is by the pattern of their scars .. and he is, perhaps, the only one that could do so, since he was the one that set the stitches. But both First and Last have their heads tilted to one side, with identical grins, and they are pleased as punch to see him.

"Afternoon, doc! Told you we'd be back, didn't we?" First tugs at his lapel and gives him a wink, as if to say, don't we look much grander than before?

Last is not to be left out, either. "Got your payment, as owed, legal tender from the proceeds of a little alehouse we own -- you've heard of Two Beers? You can pop in anytime, check the books. Clean as a whistle." The tavern he names is one on the border between districts, on the very edge of being in a "nice" area of town; it is a fairly popular place if only because it is known as a safe place to buy or sell information. No brawling is allowed, a rule that is very strictly enforced.

They would look rather dashing, something like a picture or a tale, if there was not a small face peering out between them at about waist-height -- a young face, one that looks suspiciously like the two of them, though only so far as to imply a close relation. He is leaning down to look between his older brothers, and examining the doctor very, very closely.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:13 pm
He honestly half expected them to show up with a satchel of stolen goods. That or never show up at all. Somnium was willing to put a bit of faith into their work and when they actually turned up Marco could feel the smug attitude radiating off of the guardian.

"Well, if it isn't the dynamic almost dying duo." Marco looked up from his desk, setting pen down to stare at them both. "I see you don't look like you're about to die from blood loss today, so I'll take that as an improvement." Standing Somnium was the one to motion them in, happy to see them well and going as far as to approach then.. trio. A tail flicker, the buck went to stare at the smaller one.

"Afraid I don't drink much aside from when I'm on the road or don't feel like cooking for myself. I suppose I will have to visit. If anything it'll break up the monotony." Waving them in, (not that it mattered, he was betting they would invite themselves in). "So come to pay your debt and-" He looked to the new companion, "Provide me with another patient?"
LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 am
Oh, the satchel of stolen goods was sold to someone else along the way, though they'll not be telling that -- but there is a debit, true to their words, in the ledger on the books of Two Beers that accounts for this payment to Marco. They mean to do well by him, because they doubt that this will be the last time they or one of their own gets injured, and it's always good to have someone that can put you back together afterward, and be trusted not to go blathering to anyone about it.

They are both grinning as they waltz in, and perhaps only then will Marco really be able to tell the difference between the two -- for First steps up to give Somnium a gentle pat on his head, and a scratch behind the ears as if all of the sudden he knows exactly where Guardians like to be scratched. But his pure pleasure in seeing the Guardian may well give him away as the one who'd initially had the head injury. "Oh, meals'll always be on the house for you, doc," First tells him cheerfully, thinking how nice it'd be to have someone that close if they were needed.

It will be Last that actually answers the final question, as he shoos their young companion in front of him. "Oh, he's not a patient, hellfires no! This is our little brother, Georgie. See, we got to talking, m'brother and I, and we thought we remembered you saying you could use a 'prentice." Last gives Marco a wink, keeping one hand on Georgie's head -- the boy still has not spoken, and does not look as if he knows whether to stare harder at Marco or at the dramatically colored Somnium.

Georgie is a pretty little thing, much sweeter in appearance than his oh-so-matched brothers, and as a matter of fact if Marco looks closely at him, there is something a little off about the whole thing. Yes, sometimes it's hard to tell with children, before they've truly grown up enough for the differences to become apparent, but Georgie is quite pretty .. frankly, little Georgie looks like a lovely little girl in boy's trousers.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm
Somnium gave a small nicker as First approached and began the scratching. Of course, while it certainly was fast to win over Somnium, Marco was hardly impressed, no matter what Somnium thought. "Will the meal be of quality would be my question. That and 'who must I make sure doesn't bleed out by morning'." The cheerfulness was met with deadpan disinterest. Or so the doctor's expression might have been if he hadn't been looking at the smaller boy.

"Its good you didn't bring me another brother bleeding at least. And... yes. I did say that." He started at the near twins, Somnium not quite catching onto what was about just yet. "....That is a brother then?" Squinting Marco tossed a hand in the air before sitting down, motioning for the brothers to do the same if they wished. Two chairs in front of his desk, yet nothing more, one would have to stand.

"Payment doesn't come in the form of apprenticeship. Nor can anyone become a doctor. So then 'Georgie', do you want to become a doctor or have you resigned yourself to your elder brother's wishes?"
LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:16 am
"Naw, the apprentice ain't your payment," First reassures him, apparently more than a little amused by the good doctor's suspicion and solemn pessimism. "More like a bonus."

"And maybe, insurance in the future that you ain't gotta be the one to do the patching." This is Last, tilting his head with a little grin, almost choking with laughter at the idea that their wishes could at all direct Georgie's actions.

The youngest of the set regards Marco fearlessly, his head slightly tilted as he examines the doctor. "It weren't their idea." His young voice is high and piping, perfectly confident. "It were mine, I asked for it. Mama tol' me, afore she was goned, that it's gotta be up to me to take care of 'em all, all my brothers, and there's gonna be fighting soon." There is a gleam in Georgie's eyes, a seriousness that does not at all suit his age, as if when he speaks of battle he knows far better than most what it means --

"I'm too little to fight, so I gots to help somehow." He is quite, quite intent on this, to the extent that the two young men behind him are looking rather uncomfortable about the whole thing.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 pm
".....Not quite sure if that is a bonus or burden. We'll see of that though." Looking at Georgie, Marco clicked his tongue. If he was anything like his siblings, he would need a bit of discipline... and the understanding that Marco wasn't going to tolerate shenanigans.

As the boy spoke, Marco stared and glanced to Somnium, who seemed more or less confused why the boy simply thought it was important to fight and such. "So, you had the idea to become a doctor. Because your mother told you you have to take care of your elders and that war is coming." Arms crossed behind his back, Marco nodded. "It's a fair reason. But, how well is your reading and writing, and, will your brothers be your patrons?" The dead stare was suddenly directed to First and Last.

"I could take him, but unless he can pay his own goods till he'd proved an asset, I practically, can't. He'll also need to attend classes when he's older as well as intern at hospitals and the like." Gaze returning to the boy the doctor asked point blank.
"How many people have you seen die Georgie?"
LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am
iStoleYurVamps

"Me figurin's better then me writin'," Georgie tells him with a shrug. "But I can do it." He nods firmly, looking confident in this discussion, not once glancing back at his brothers for their permission, as many children his age might. He simply plows on through without expecting or desiring their opinions on the matter. "They'll sponsor me," he declares, and interestingly enough, as outspoken as the twins have been until now, they do not protest. They look a bit uneasy -- are they going to have to pay for this? And for supplies? -- but they'll nod if Marco meets their gazes. It's as if despite her youth, to a certain extent it's Georgie that's in charge here.

Marco's last question makes him narrow his eyes and scowl. "Would serve you right if'n I were like some of them nobble kids, and burst inta tears and tol' you it were me mama and da I saw die, and then you'd feel just awful. I did, y'know, but I ain't gonna go all watery over it. I seen ol' Jem, he worked for me da, when he got an arrow in his chest, and it whistled when he breathed, all the way until he were gone."  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm
Marco looked around, noting how he had nothing to test the boy on hand with. Not in arm's reach anyway. "If numbers are your forte, then we'll need to work on your lettering. Math will play a vital role, but I'd need to to know what things are before how to treat them with how much of what." Pulling up a clean piece of parchment, he pulled up his pen, noting the brother's lack of participation to the discussion.

"It's expensive. And like when I treated your siblings, if any coins from from a dirty source you'll be out of the door so fast you'll need treatment for whiplash. While I can't blame you for the bad decisions of your siblings, if it came about that you were being taught with tainted coin, it would ruin any hope you would have for being a doctor in the future. It would also tarnish my standing." A dead stare to the twins, then to Georgie.

A few quick jolts on the paper, he took a deep breath. The child had seen death and apparently, was not so much fazed by it. "It would serve me in the sense I could throw you out of my door faster. Your parents, whatever took them, are dead and in the past. There is nothing you nor I can do. If you choose to follow the path of a doctor, you will have that ability however to save lives, or end them." He held out his free hand. "With each person you save, you're just as likely to send them to their death. People will die, and sometimes, it will be your fault. They will be innocent, and they will die, no matter what you will do otherwise." His tone has devoid of emotion, a cold mask of indifference on his face.

"Are you willing to be responsible for those lives?"
LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 am
Though they say not a word, behind Georgie the Freidrichs are carefully swallowing laughter at the thought that Georgie would become a respectable doctor. No -- doctor they may train him as, he'll never need to worry about the respect of the community. Them that he'll see to won't much care how he came by his training, or whether or not he's actually qualified to be called a 'doctor.' But the threat to Marco's own reputation .. that they can understand, and all three of them nod as before. It's always good to have someone with a clear conscience to lean on.

Instead of wavering or wincing, Georgie looks him dead in the eye throughout his speech, with the impression of absorbing every word and weighing it for its merit. After just a moment, he nods. "Yeah. I druther be responsible for it when I'm tryin' to help somebody, then 'cause I were the one that hurt 'em." This does not seem to be a direct sally to his brothers and their choice of occupation, but the twins wince as if it is.

Following his statement, Georgie seems to feel that some gesture to seal the bargain is necessary at this juncture. So he sticks out his own hand .. but before he can clasp Marco's, he shows the seriousness of this affair by solemnly spitting in his palm and only then extending it for a handshake. In the lower quarters, this is considered to be a version of a very serious oath.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm
Marco looked up briefly from his notes as Georgie answered. He was almost concerned. A boy his age to be so steady when faced with the inquiries Marco was making... Almost concerned. Many children from rougher spots reacted differently than those in better straights. A glance to paper, Marco took a slow breath. "Be-cause. Because. We'll have to work on your speech if I'm to take you with me on house calls."

The spit covered handshake made, Marco pulled it back, looking to the saliva. "First rule, never do that again unless you'd like me to shove your hand into scalding water. Saliva can carry a variety of illnesses and while I understand the gesture behind it, realize that it instill me with nothing more than mild disgust with sanitation." Grabbing a clean cloth he wiped his hand before offering it to Georgie. "I'd wash my hands but I'm not going to be handling anything or treating anyone soon. In any case-" His tapped the paper. "This is a notice to one of the men over at the market. With this he'll sell you the supplies you need without asking just why. Assuming you live in town, you're to report to me at sunrise and you'll be free by mid-day. If you want lunch you'll either need to earn it from work that morning or bring your own."

Hands folded. "Still interested?"
LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 pm
All of this is a little bit more than even clever Georgie can adequately follow, and his brow scrunches with puzzlement at some of it. For instance, what exactly is 'sanitation?' And for that matter, what does he mean by 'saliva?' Everyone knows spit's the best thing for cleaning! Why would mamas use it on they kids if it weren't clean? And anyway, he chews a mint leaf in mornings, his mouth is just fine! Maybe salvia means something else.

But the more important part of the doctor's speech -- that pertaining to his hours -- he latches onto with eagerness. Only a half-day? That doesn't sound bad at all! The Freds had regaled him with tales of spending all day in some grimy shop or another, after an apprenticeship; half-days don't sound bad in comparison. "Yeah! That's easy! That'll be fun!"

Behind her, the brothers are wincing: if Marco wanted a punishment for how they'd badly frightened him by cutting into each other (matching scars, indeed!), this is a good one. Supplies that need the written consent of a doctor just to buy them are going to be painfully expensive, and if Georgie has to be here at sunrise, that means they'll have to be awake before sunrise to get her here.

Georgie is not quite done. Pleased with himself, the young boy beams up at Marco. "Can I bring Ariana? She's ever so clever, and she don't make no noise, and most of the time she hides, anyway. She won't bother nobody and she can keep your big thing company." He gestures broadly to Somnium, with a grin for the Guardian.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm
Marco's stare was cast from Georgie to the brothers. This was their relative? They were sure? Because Marco wasn't that sure anymore. ".... You realize I might have you cleaning piss pots or gathering supplies around town?" Because Marco hardly thought such things as fun. "There will also be reading. A fair amount of reading that guessing from your upbringing, you'll need a medical dictionary for..." He jolted that down on the paper as well.

"But, as I have no idea who you're referring to, just who exactly is Ariana?" Somnium tilted his head, curious as well.

LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 am
"Cleaning what?!" The reading don't frighten Georgie, nor the blood, but this warning makes the Freds choke, their faces flushing with purest pleasure -- it can only be imagined how much trouble their little brother has caused them so far, and this will make up somewhat for the cost of this expensive apprenticeship.

"Ain't afraid, are ya?" First takes it upon himself to lean down and whisper (loudly) to Georgie, one brow raised.

"We can always talk to the baker if you're too affrighted to do it," Last agrees, leaning down on Georgie's opposite side.

Georgie turns red, hands clenched into little fists, and sticks his chin out with an expression of stubborn determination. "I ain't afeared," he hisses at them, then looks back to Marco, relaxing somewhat.

"Ariana's my deer." His expression grows gentle and fond, and he glances over at Somnium with a surprisingly happy expression. "She ain't so big as that one, don't know as she'll ever be. She's just a baby yet, but she's ever so good and quiet."  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 pm
Marco nodded like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "When a patient cannot move and is home bound, they need.. help. Normally I'd hire out a nurse, but an apprentice is far less costly, and it will teach you about sanitation." To Marco spit was only moderately less offensive than a human's... well. Leavings.

"Ah-fraid. F-raid. And a deer." Somnium perked up a bit, clearly interested to just who Ariana was. "I assume ou mean a guardian, mush as Somnium is." The buck gave a small stamp of his hoof before bending down to go eye level with Georgie. "If she's young then it will be of no consequence. Many folk like the guardians and think them lucky and 'comforting'." He shot a look to the brother, Somnium only glace to First before looking back at Georgie.

"But yes, she can come with. Provided she behaves. Somnium was a nuisance in his youth." Said guardian looked away sheepishly.
LoveByLetters

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm
iStoleYurVamps

The pointed comment about finding Guardians comforting may go a long way to helping Marco determine which of the Freds is which -- Last, who had been uneasy around Sominum, just scowls. First, who had indeed found his presence comforting, finds his lips twitching in what is very nearly a smile.

Georgie is solemn and frowning, the threat of cleaning out piss pots being a terrible one; given his current attire and how easily the Freds have capitulated to his demands thus far, it is doubtful the young lad has ever undertaken any sort of noisome chore. " .. she's too good sometimes," Georgie mutters about Ariana. "She's .." The boy pauses, rolling the word several times in his thoughts before he speaks: " .. ah-fraid of practic'lly everything. She's why I gotta be a doctor, kinda. I mean, I bet she's never gonna fight no wolves, so I gotta do something." Clearly this is his Guardian's one and only fault: not being fierce enough to be a warrior, though Georgie does not seem to love her any less for it, not when he's willing to base his profession on Ariana's own natures, and to clean piss pots to learn that trade.  
❧ Roleplaying

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff