Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
How Did You Know When You Found the Right Religion/God(s)?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightsShades

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:55 am
Exactly what the title says. I'm still searching for some religion that I feel right doing but I was curious how other people felt when they found the right one  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:37 am
For me it was like coming home - everything felt absolutely perfect. Like a warm blanket on a cold day... that ahhhh feeling. Hard to describe though. Even when things weren't going smoothly, or I felt pulled in different directions, I still had that original feeling to sort of guide me.

Realize though too that sometimes even if something feels right at one point, it might not always be the right one, or even what you end up practicing long term. So don't feel like you have to be in a rush to find something, or get discouraged if you don't have the same "a-ha" type moment that some people experience. If there is something that interests you - look into it, check it out and see how it "fits". Never know when you might find what you are looking for.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:23 pm
I don't know, really. It was sort of a slow conversion. I guess it's sort of like a great chair. You settle into it, and it feels comfortable. It fits with you.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:22 pm
NightsShades
Exactly what the title says. I'm still searching for some religion that I feel right doing but I was curious how other people felt when they found the right one

I was raised in my religion, but it was not forced upon me in any way. I was taught that each thing had it's own spirit or deity and that I was to choose those to worship as I wished and the repercussions if I didn't choose wisely.  

glasfuinneog

Friendly Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:39 am
Fatelin
Well, my friend at the time introduced it to me when I was in middle school. From then on I studied different religions.

Well yeah, but how did you know it was the right one when you found it? You didn't answer the question, you just went off on an unrelated tangent wink  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 am
It was a visceral feeling for me....I just needed to know more. And the more I learned the more I knew that it was where I needed to be.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 am
Fatelin
Well, my friend at the time introduced it to me when I was in middle school. From then on I studied different religions. I was 12...and it took me until 17 to realize that my friend at the time and her groupies were actually abusing their powers.

They were also harming others around them, and did not care for nature. So, in my defense, I went against them. From 17-18 I made sure they either stopped what they were doing or that they at least stop harming others around them.

sweatdrop It was a bit more intense then I just described, but that's the jest of things.

It's 'jist'. A 'jest' of things would make it a joke or lighthearted send-up of what you were actually describing.

What religion are you describing here, out of curiosity? Why was it right?

And totally OT but:
1) What powers? Are we talking powers within an organization? Or something more nebulous?

2) Not all religions require people to not harm others. And there are pagan religions that don't involve caring for or appreciating nature. You may not agree with their actions but that doesn't mean they were wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------
It took me a long time to find where I was meant to be. It had its' down side (mainly doubt, anxiety, and loneliness), but it gave me the chance to thoroughly explore different directions and to not jump to conclusions. In the end the Gods came to me, and when they did I was prepared to answer without hesitation.

For myself, knowing I am on the right path has always been like discovering family - knowing that I belong where I am. It's not always perfect - family isn't, after all - but it is a deep feeling of connection. Within BTW, some believe that in finding a coven and joining them means you have found family - the witches you are meant to come back to, in every reincarnation. Finding the right path has also meant rejecting doubt and anxiety about what I am doing. That sense of 'wrongness' is not a part of my daily spiritual life any more.

Also, there's a Native belief that if you're walking the right road, you will keep dreaming what's to come. When the dreams stop, it's time to change something. Since the Gods found me, and I found my own way, I've never stopped.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:32 pm
I was always studying some form of ancient civilization, pantheons and religions. Ancient Egypt always had a hold on me, but I felt turned away when stumbling onto Afro-centrism's take on Kemeticism. Since I'm Korean and not black, I felt like I shouldn't intrude.

It wasn't until years later that my main deity Aphrodite up and shipped me out to the Netjeru and it was a feeling of, "Finally." and "The time has come at last." Haven't looked back or felt the need to wander in religions or faith since. I realized that the Afro-centrism movement with Kemeticism is just one side of Kemeticism.

xMiemiex

High-functioning Prophet

3,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200

ondottr

Lonely Phantom

14,625 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 pm
It was like... things started to make sense to me. I found a worldview that valued the same things I did.
When I started practicing, I found deities who taught me real, useful things. I got better at understanding what I wanted to do and accomplish in life, and how to go about doing it. I started to feel more connected to the people around me.
I felt like the actions I was taking had a point all of a sudden. I could explain myself better. I could look after myself emotionally. I started letting go of learned cultural baggage - guilt, shame, fear, self-deception, entitlement, wanting to 'fit in'.
I just got better at being in my own skin and understanding what it means to be living in it.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games