Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
Objections to the Bible: Dinosaurs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 am
"The Bible does not mentions dinosaurs. Since it doesn't with dinosaurs being so abundant in times past it can't be reliable as the Word of God."

First you have the , "Behemoth" which cannot be a Hippo because of Job 40:17 "He bends his tail like a cedar". A hippo has a short tail like a pig. Behemoth, had a large tail shaped like a cedar tree (large and tapered). I believe a better choice is that Behemoth is a Brachiosaurus type of large land dwelling dinosaur. It fits the description perfect.

User Image

The word dinosaur is a fairly new word (1800's) it would not have been used when the Bible was written because it was yet to be invented. Instead what if they went by another name? As for example dragon?

It is very interesting to note, however, that nearly every major ancient culture has myths and legends about giant reptiles. How would these civilizations, continents and millennia apart, all come up with legends of giant reptile creatures? Evolutionary scientists tell us that dinosaurs existed millions of years before human beings. Dinosaur fossils were not discovered until thousands of years after the myths of giants reptiles began. How can this be?

User Image

Dragon art from Babylon.

It is also interesting to note that some of the Books that have not been canonized mentions dragons. The apocrypha mentions dragon keepers at the court in Babylon, and that Daniel killed a dragon which was worshiped as a god. He baked pitch, fat, and hair (trichas) together to make cakes (mazas, barley-cakes, but translated "lumps") which he fed the animal. Though I would not recommend the Apocrypha to be read as part of the Bible it still paints an interesting picture.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:02 pm
Its also silly when people don't believe in dinosaurs because they "weren't mentioned in the Bible". I heard once that cats were never mentioned in the Bible, but no one doubts that they exist.  

Rae of Hope

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:48 am
Yes...Yes! YESSSS!!! The Job verse! Awesomeness xd I love that one. I don't like when it mentions that this creatures tail was like "that of a cedar tree" and the tail must've been GIANT! I can't even imagine! However, people say, "Oh, what they're talking about was a Hippo." Have they seriously seen a hippo's tail?! It's so tiny and puny and it can't compare with a cedar tree.

A lot of people try to disprove this. I am a strong believer that dinosaurs roamed the earth while humans did as well as dragons. There have been historical documents mentioning dinosaurs and dragons. I believe there was an account written by a journey led by Alexander the Great that dragons or dinosaurs scared his men. These were military guys - trained to kill - so they must've seen something incredibly significant to be frightened. There have also been records and legends that people actually did train real dragons or dinosaurs to pull carts.

If dinosaurs or dragons never existed then why are they on all these artworks by ancient civilizations and other countries? That means people must've seen them if these pictures come from people that have never met.

I remember being in a car with a girl who was my friend at the time and she said, "Dinosaurs were made up to confuse the Christians so we wouldn't know how old the Earth was. Right, Daddy?" and her dad said, "That is exactly right." Which was odd for me because I am a full believer in dinosaurs and the Brachiosaurus seems like a likely candidate for the verse in Job biggrin it certainly looks that way. I sometimes wonder if it could've possibly been an Ankylosaurus because of how big it's tail must've been and how armored and intimidating it looked. I think that may fit Job, too. There were probably so many dinosaurs then that we don't even know about today.

There is also a tribe in the Congo that claims there is a dinosaur that lives around (which would make sense because dinosaurs only existed a few thousand years ago - not a few million or billion). This tribe in the Congo calls this dinosaur Mokele-Mbembe, which means "one who stops the flow of rivers". I believe it's definitely possible biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 pm
I find Genesis 1:20-21 compelling.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Most dinosaurs are a type of bird. They even have some fossils where even the feathers and skin have been fossilized.

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm
Lupas Deva
I find Genesis 1:20-21 compelling.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Most dinosaurs are a type of bird. They even have some fossils where even the feathers and skin have been fossilized.

You're interested in fossils in stuff? I'm sure you'll love this site and how they prove creationism biggrin http://www.icr.org/ it'll be great for your apologetics, too. Especially when you witness to others in life about the dinosaurs ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:04 am
This is so great! I've heard it explained before but never so simply where anyone could understand! Plus one thing I usually bring up is that animals go extinct. Dino's are just another animal. Ahh I love it!  

misa-ebie

Beloved Explorer

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:22 am
misa-ebie
This is so great! I've heard it explained before but never so simply where anyone could understand! Plus one thing I usually bring up is that animals go extinct. Dino's are just another animal. Ahh I love it!

Exactly! They are just another animal. They are just impressive to us because of the imagined age gap between us, and the myths surrounding them (much attributed to movie dramatizations and pop culture), such as the claim that they evolved into birds etc.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 am
Garland-Green
Quote:

Your right! Not to get off topic but a lot of the way we use words now and days carry a different connotation and sometimes even a different meaning than what they should so we see things threw that filter and don't look at what the word really is.

misa-ebie

Beloved Explorer

Christian apologetics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces