Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Sinner's Sentiments - Polls and Wild Nonsense

Back to Guilds

A small but growing guild. We're close knit, friendly, literate, and we have polls on every topic. 

Tags: General Discussion, Literate, Awesome, Friendly, Polls 

Reply a** - PAWN
Small question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Book or movie?
  Book
  Movie
View Results

Racheal Shanks

5,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:41 pm
I am interested in the hype over the Hunger Games movie. I have only read the first book so far and really enjoyed it, so no spoilers please.

I was rather impressed at the racism shown against the characters being played by black actors. To almost quote someone-

"Rue being a black girl ruined the movie for me."

Wow, just wow. So, this person automatically assumes every character in every book she reads is white?

That is just ridiculous.

So, when you read a book, do you see them all as white unless they smack you in the face with "This person is BLACK" written in bold letters?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 pm
I haven't read or seen the hunger games. But I recall reading some of the articles pertaining to the "racism" incited by fans viewing the movies. I mean, I'm usually upset when a character is portrayed differently than what I've expected. But for me that usually pertain to features that are clearly defined in the text or the voice of the character. I'm only picky about voices.

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

Lass Kyon
Crew

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm
I haven't seen the movie or read the books, but I did hear about that aspect of it and that is so stupid to me.

I do, however, assume that characters that aren't set in a specific region that dictates their origin are white unless otherwise noted, just because that's the most common race. But according to what I heard, in the book it does note that Rue is darker in skin tone.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 am
Lass Kyon
I haven't seen the movie or read the books, but I did hear about that aspect of it and that is so stupid to me.

I do, however, assume that characters that aren't set in a specific region that dictates their origin are white unless otherwise noted, just because that's the most common race. But according to what I heard, in the book it does note that Rue is darker in skin tone.

Exactly, Suzanne Collins was even part of the process. One would think, if she didn't like the casting choice, she would not have allowed it There is also a facebook page about the Avengers movie. 'Nick Fury is White!' In the Ultimates universe, which I am reliably informed is one hundred percent accurate, nick fury is not only black, but based upon Samuel L Jackson.  

Racheal Shanks

5,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
a** - PAWN

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out